Running without the so called "Torque compensator" ??? | Page 2 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Running without the so called "Torque compensator" ???

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by agusta74, Jun 9, 2021.

1. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2011 Cross Country
    And I apologize for my snarky comment :
    “ Just ride it “.
    Let me say this ...... we cannot compare big twin bikes to smaller displacement bikes that we have had in our past. 100” and larger motors are a lot of motor for a frame and a seat. The transmission and Drive line need to be stealthy enough to handle the torque being put thru that drive line. These bikes can make enough power especially modified to shear not only rear pulley bolts but front pulley splines and wheel bearings with out proper maintenance and care. A stock bike stands a better chance of survival especially in the hands of a stock bike riding kinda guy. Then there’s those that like to ride these bikes like they stole them. They break more that way like anything else.
    The torque compensator is crude but necessary for a gear driven transmission. It’s simple and it works and many Vic bikes unlike Harley will see100k miles easily.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    I love those older Guzzi’s. I’ve owned a 1960 Stornello 125 Sport, three Converts, a G5, a V11 Sport Named, two Bassas, a V10 Centauro Sport, a Cal Vin and an old 50cc Trotter moped. Loved them all except the V11 Sport.

I never owned a Guzzi 500 single with the ‘bacon slicer’ but I hope to one day. They’re wonderful motorcycles.

Are you on: www.wildguzzi.com by chance?

• Like Like x 1
  3. agusta74

agusta74 Member

Italian
    Thanks. Yes that is true and has made me think about what I will need to do to put one in an Egli frame... like making sure the swinging arm is strong enough to not flex with the torque and mainly the rear chain sprocket mount.... and I will have to pay special attention to the rear axle adjusters and how they hold the axle in place for the adjustment of the chain.... all good stuff I have got from your comments! :) PLUS heavy gauge spokes in the rear wire wheel.....

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  4. agusta74

agusta74 Member

Italian
    not on there, but I am on some obscure Guzzi single forums. WOW that's a lot of Guzzi's! I have "only" had a early V7, SP1000, 1962 500 Falcone, 1952 500 Superalce, and my current Nuovo Falcone that I have had since 1992.

5. agusta74

agusta74 Member

Italian
    Can someone educate me on the reason for the "split gear" in the primary? It is driven from the crank and then has the Torque compensator outboard of it... it comes apart and has four springs in it and yet it looks like both parts of the split gear are firmly geared to the crank gear so then the two sections could not move independently? I am obviously missing something here.... ?? vic gear s-l1600.jpg vic gear s-l1600a.jpg vic gear s-l1600b.jpg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  6. broggyr

broggyr Administrator Staff Member

2013 XCT
    The split gears exert tooth pressure at all times reducing gear noise.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. agusta74

agusta74 Member

Italian
    Ok, thanks, that kinda makes sense...... it was bugging me that I could not work it out!!

8. agusta74

agusta74 Member

Italian
    That split sprung gear seems a bit like an engineering solution to bad engineering in the first place.... the gears should be made to not be able to rattle in the first place.

9. BP6666VR

BP6666VR Well-Known Member

VICTORY JACKPOT 2013 & Cross Country Tour 2014
    Any oil that is JASO MA2 wet clutch is good to go, in Australia they use PENRITE if i remember correctly

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. agusta74

agusta74 Member

Italian
    That was not my quote!! I am annoying enough without having to bring up oil or tyres!! :)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. agusta74

agusta74 Member

Italian
    When I get my engine I am going to take a LONG HARD look at that whole primary and look at taking out the torque compensator and the extra none drive part of the split gear. I might decide not to do anything but I will be looking hard.....

• Like Like x 2
  12. normthenomad

normthenomad Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin,sold. 2006 Hammer, 2007 Hammer, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    The torque that the Vics put out would be my biggest concern, I'm a fan of the old tube frame Buells. They put out enough torque that they twist the frames in stock configuration .if you added some performance mods it got even worse. Stenzel and now defunct American sport bike made braces for the ,"forgotten",part of the frame as well as one tying the front mount to the engine that limited movement and added a way to distribute the strain.
    I realize they are rubber mounted and move/twist more than the rigid mounted Vics.
    Personally I would keep the TC for now, seems to me there are bigger fish to fry right now. You can always leave the TC until last.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. agusta74

agusta74 Member

Italian
    Yes I agree!

• Like Like x 1
  14. broggyr

broggyr Administrator Staff Member

2013 XCT
    The only thing I can say to that is if a gear is made to not rattle when machined, it will eventually wear in causing a small gap. This will happen no matter how well a gear is made. The split gear mitigates this by using springs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. blairaudio

blairaudio Active Member

07 Vegas jackpot
    Just add the thin wafer springs as shims. Issue solved and doesn't cost very much. 2013 and up had them.