Running without the so called "Torque compensator" ??? | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Running without the so called "Torque compensator" ???

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by agusta74, Jun 9, 2021 at 2:18 AM.

1. agusta74

agusta74 Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Italian
    This is really going to open a can of worms (or more likely a can of Belleville washers).... but I have to ask.

I have spend a good few hours reading and watching videos about the issues with the torque compensator in the Victory engine. I have not come across them before, none of my bikes have had them, big Ducati's and Guzzi etc. One idea I read that will stop a rear wheel locking up seems fair fetched. I understand that they are designed to absorb some shock loading thought the drive system, to theoretically take shock load off gear faces but the fact they create slop in the system seems almost as bad. If you locked it solid what would happen? Smoother ride on and off the throttle and less noise.... maybe some more gear wear if you ride like a prat..... ?

Torque compensator is really a fancy marketing style phrase to make it sound more than it is.... at best it's an "undamped shock absorber" and worst it's just a lose spring in the drive system.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021 at 2:45 AM
  2. BP6666VR

BP6666VR Well-Known Member

VICTORY JACKPOT 2013 & Cross Country Tour 2014
    Good point, there are some threads with detailed pictures regarding this subject, there are / were not a lot of Vic's with torque compensator noise or trouble, i remember reading about them with interest ....

Jap bikes did not have this and they did not need them

I think this has some good info for you to read

Torque Compensator Mod

• Like Like x 1
  3. agusta74

agusta74 Member

Italian
    Thanks. I had read that thread but I read it again, the last post is the most intersting.

4. agusta74

agusta74 Member

Italian
    Lots of bike back in the day (when there were mostly chain drive) used the cush drive in the rear wheel which provided some cushioning of the drive line... but the belt drive bikes seem to have the belt sprockets solidly fixed to the wheels. So maybe the torque compensator was designed partly to make up for that lack of cush drive? From reading I have done HD Sportsters didn't have a TC from 1976 to 1984, then I think they built one into the clutch housing....

5. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Rylan Voss ( The VicShop ) has a good YouTube video on the explanation of the TC. Seems you can make mods to reduce the slop but not without a sacrifice. More noise. Then there’s the Conquest UD pulley to help tighten up the drive line by keeping you in a slightly higher rpm. Both my bikes have different sounds and act so differently from each other. The 16 Magnum is a dream to ride and shifts perfectly. The difference between it and my 11XC is the noise that comes from the stator area. A whine type noise similar to a gear drive timing system on a V8 motor. My 11 has none of that whine sound but has a clunkier transmission and does not shift nearly as smooth as the snikity shifting magnum.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. DAVEofSAC

DAVEofSAC Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    'K...
    Ya can do that...
    But, without the gear-lash take-up of the TC who bares the brunt of the torque:

Rear End3.jpg

Rear End.jpg

Rear End2.jpg

Yup!
    Yer rear-end!
    'em bolts could snap right off!
    'n leave ya where?

7. broggyr

broggyr Administrator Staff Member

2013 XCT
    As much as I’d love to run without all of the driveline lash, I have to assume that the engineers put it in there for a reason.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. agusta74

agusta74 Member

Italian
    Nasty damage there! But those bolts were most likely lose to cause that level of shock to break all 5 bolts! I can see the holes in the top photo are oval from flogging back and fourth when lose before breaking the bolts. Good lesson to everyone to go out and check that all your pulley bolts are tight!!
    And they broke WITH a torque compensator in the drive line! :)

As a side note.... the end use for my '09 100 engine is going to be a Egli framed style cafe racer with a chain drive so I will have a cush drive in the rear end and a flappy chain to help absorb the shocks....

• Like Like x 1
  9. agusta74

agusta74 Member

Italian
    Yes, but they would be a same engineers that took years to get the Victory gearbox to stop breaking!
    Also often engineers are often forced by accountants, lawyers and marketing people to make engineering compromises. I am just trying to rethink the end result and see if in my application I can make it better for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Just ride it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Chain drive with a cush drive is one alternative as is shaft drive with a cush drive. The Victory TC system seems to work quite well for all but a small percentage of owners.

One technician removed my rear pulley to mount a tire. I thought that procedure quite odd. He also used a lot of red Lock-Tite and heavy torque on each lug nut during re-assembly. Perhaps others have had their rear pulley removed but not reinstalled as it should have been which may have lead to failures.

The Vic Shop video explains the system quite well also.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. agusta74

agusta74 Member

Italian
    Quite a long list of mods you have on those bikes in your signature.... why didn't you just ride it??

Edit. Sorry that was a bit snarky...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021 at 8:38 PM
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    The Victory 106” transmission responds quite well when shifts are pre loaded and done with authority. Lazy shifts, soft foot shifts or clutchless shifts often end with less than admirable results.

N to 1st, THUNK
    1st to 2nd, thunk
    Everything else is either silent or a snick

Perfectly normal in my book.

So far: Vic oil or Shell Rotella T6. I know some are wondering.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. agusta74

agusta74 Member

Italian
    I expect technique has a lot to do with it. My old Guzzi Falcone 500 signle has SUCH a large external flywheel that to change from first to second you pull in the clutch, count to 3 while the engine slows down, then stab it into second with authority!! :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Explain the question you asked. I do ride them. All year. When you ride victory 10 yrs like I have you get used to the nature of the bike. It’s design and engineering may not be perfect but to me it works and I can promise you no one rides my bikes better than me. They perform well and drive line lash is something I’ve learned how to over come. Granted my bikes are newer than a 100” motored bike but the drive line lash still very much exists. These bikes perform best with a little more aggressive attitude in the throttle. They like rpm. They’re not mellow like HD and Indian bikes that love to cruise the boulevard in 5th gear and just rumble along. Sure you can do it on a Vic but your down shifting more because that drive line lash is just too sloppy for that kind of riding. Keep it tight. Keep your oil clean and fresh.

• Like Like x 1