VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Harley may have reason to be nervous...at least the folks who want to make money over at the MoCo.

It's hard to wrap my mind around this-- I always considered Royal Enfield kind of...a third rate motorcycle company.

They just rolled out what is being touted as a winner, and have upped their game in their nitch market--- which surprisingly is where HARLEY is planning on recouping their big-bike losses in the U.S.

Read the article-- It's quite interesting!

Is It Time to Panic Over Harley-Davidson? -- The Motley Fool

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
For the price Triumph better watch too. This bike could steel the young not so financially capable riders. Your right NAH. It is a winner.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Niche market in America but most of the other countries I've been in the 650cc motorcycle class is pretty darn big. I really think Harley needs to stick to what they are good at and leave the small bikes alone. When you can get so many small segment bikes for less than the RE it would be difficult for Harley to make any kind of dent in the market.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Young people don’t want to buy something that looks like it came from the 60’s or 70’s. Hence the market problems that exist. No one in the US under 45 has heard of Royal Enfield. Might as well say Tonka on the tank.

Until these manufacturers produce something affordable for these student loan strapped youngins, our hobby will continue to decline.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Young people don't want to buy something that looks like it came from the 60's or 70's. Hence the market problems that exist. No one in the US under 45 has heard of Royal Enfield. Might as well say Tonka on the tank.

Until these manufacturers produce something affordable for these student loan strapped youngins, our hobby will continue to decline.
I don't think the looks are the case really as there are way more retro offerings on the market than ever before and they seem to be selling pretty well. I agree totally on the price though. Manufactures need to bring back a 650cc bike that can be had under $5k if it is even possible anymore.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I don't think the looks are the case really as there are way more retro offerings on the market than ever before and they seem to be selling pretty well.
Where are they selling really well? In India maybe. The whole motorcycle market in the US is down. Old men like the looks of this style bike, the kids are not going to buy it.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Harley may have reason to be nervous...at least the folks who want to make money over at the MoCo.

It's hard to wrap my mind around this-- I always considered Royal Enfield kind of...a third rate motorcycle company.

They just rolled out what is being touted as a winner, and have upped their game in their nitch market--- which surprisingly is where HARLEY is planning on recouping their big-bike losses in the U.S.

Read the article-- It's quite interesting!

Is It Time to Panic Over Harley-Davidson? -- The Motley Fool
There are plenty of good used bikes that will destroy that at the same price or less. If you want to get run over by the little old lady in the Toyota Prius , feel free .

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
Yep. Plenty of way better low mileage garaged bikes out there. The industry is saturated with used bikes.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are plenty of good used bikes that will destroy that at the same price or less. If you want to get run over by the little old lady in the Toyota Prius , feel free .
Why does it have to "destroy other bikes" to be good? You're riding the biggest, not the fastest bike.

Why does it have to be cheaper? If we're gonna compare every new bike to the used bike market, then I guess ALL new bikes are fails promoted by witless morons.

What was the point of the ARTICLE I posted?

Hello, McFly!

Royal Enfiled hit a long ball here. Will it be a home run? Don't know yet.
It it aimed at the RIGHT TARGET? YES!!

This smaller bike market is exploding-- GLOBALLY. HD has run ads for a $23,000 + adventure bike "to be released" and some other smallish bobbers.
RE had their bikes at the show and they're cool, NOT a harley, and affordable, and not Japanese.

I found RE's new decision to enter this particular market pretty cool. They make way more bike than HD and it's kinda like the opponent HD never saw coming. Who worries about competing with Royal Enfield?

Someone may now.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Why does it have to "destroy other bikes" to be good? You're riding the biggest, not the fastest bike.

Why does it have to be cheaper? If we're gonna compare every new bike to the used bike market, then I guess ALL new bikes are fails promoted by witless morons.

What was the point of the ARTICLE I posted?

Hello, McFly!

Royal Enfiled hit a long ball here. Will it be a home run? Don't know yet.
It it aimed at the RIGHT TARGET? YES!!

This smaller bike market is exploding-- GLOBALLY. HD has run ads for a $23,000 + adventure bike "to be released" and some other smallish bobbers.
RE had their bikes at the show and they're cool, NOT a harley, and affordable, and not Japanese.

I found RE's new decision to enter this particular market pretty cool. They make way more bike than HD and it's kinda like the opponent HD never saw coming. Who worries about competing with Royal Enfield?

Someone may now.
Let me know when this Royal Enfield explodes here..You missed the point. There are better options then this under powered bike . It is being marketed as a threat to other manufactures. When they start doing the comparo's to bikes in the same class it most likely will prove the point.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I would like to take a stab at this. Do I think RE is going to bring Harley to its knees? No. I don't think any maker is going to do that as interest in motorcycling is waining amongst the younger generation. Just a guess but, vocational training in schools is no longer there, and working with your hands is taboo these days. How many times have you heard, you need to go to college to make something of yourselves, but they never mention plumbing, electrical, automotive, etc. They mention computers, gaming, accounting, doctorates, etc. These kids don't have the time to get into this as more and more of them are going to college. Owning a motorcycle is impractical in the sense that in certain areas of our great country you can only ride a few months of the year, and who wants to spend that kind of money at a vehicle you can only enjoy periodically? These kids aren't learning how to manipulate a clutch and find the whole clutch idea intimidating. Auto Manufacturers are only selling automatic every day vehicles because it's easier to throw it into drive rather than press the clutch pedal and throw a lever into gear 1, then 2, 3, 4, and 5. Why would anyone ever want to own an auto 'vette?(I'm sure there's a lot of ppl who will disagree with me) Where's the fun in that? But they make them and they sell a sh!t ton of them. My thoughts may be all over the place here, but perhaps this is a core reason for the lack of interest in the industry.

Retro styling was cool 10 yrs ago, but look at how the Camaro and Mustang are getting away from the retro look and coming into a newer style with hints of retro styling cues. RE is grasping at straws hoping to make an inroad, but the market is saturated with smaller cc's from all other manufacturers. If they aren't entertaining the younger market, RE never will. Thank you ago for letting me go on a tangent.

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
Where are they selling really well? In India maybe. The whole motorcycle market in the US is down. Old men like the looks of this style bike, the kids are not going to buy it.
Actually, every brand except Harley is UP in the US, unless you consider Polaris as a brand as opposed to just Indian, then it too is also down. Closer inspection of the numbers reveals that the heavyweight cruiser market is down about 5-6%. And Harley is down 10-12%. And Harley has half the market. SO....what's half of 10-12? 5-6 duh. And that's just the heavyweight cruiser market. Virtually all other market segments are UP. I think what we are seeing is that owning a "heritage" brand cruiser is losing the "it" or cool factor. That fad is passing. Young people today don't purchase things, they pay for experiences. And ADV biking, sport bike riding, GROM riding...all fun EXPERIENCES. Whacking a throttle at stop lights and under bridges to hear really loud pipes...not so much. Harley's not stupid, look at what they're releasing in 2019 and 2020, electric bikes, sport/standards, and ADV bikes. It would not surprise me if a brand new Sportster is the yet to be revealed secret they're planning as an FU to Polaris.

·
Registered
375 Posts
See the Royal Enfield Concept

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I would like to take a stab at this. Do I think RE is going to bring Harley to its knees? No. I don't think any maker is going to do that as interest in motorcycling is waining amongst the younger generation. Just a guess but, vocational training in schools is no longer there, and working with your hands is taboo these days..
Actually the new generation is avoiding college and hitting trade schools.
Some of these "kids" are building awesome rat bikes, bobbers, 70's choppers & one off customs.
The RE may be a hit.

Reactions: slickvic

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
See the Royal Enfield Concept
Interesting concept. Seems motorcycle styling is alive and well. Now if they could just get rid of that awful tank seam that screams CHEAP ! Compared to the rest of the bike !

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.