VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
04 Kingpin. If I let it sit for a few days, when I start it it runs rough. Seems like there is water in the fuel but it eventually clears out and runs fine.

Last time I started it it fired on one cylinder due to fouled plug. Cleaned plugs and got it running.

Bought this bike and owner said it has set. Am I missing anything here or just need to get that water out?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve put two tanks fulls in it since I’ve had it. Fuel should be ok.

Never cleaned the throttle body. I’ve seen all the threads about the rotted rubber pertaining to the fuel system. You would think if it was that it would be persistent and not quit after it warms up.

Anyway, I’m going to check all that and see what I find.

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
...there is a breather from the crank case that vents into the airbox : the throttle body needs periodic cleaning; Vicbuilder has a great vid on it.
And yes! probably all your rubber parts need a close inspection.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
May try throwing a little K-100 in it. My father keeps a bottle with him in case of a pit stop at a questionable gas station. After the hurricane came through he had to use it when a station had some water in the tanks. The bike was running like complete garbage about a mile away from leaving the station, stopped threw a little in and bike ran great. Just a suggestion.

Reactions: BBob

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
My 04 KP doesn't like cold weather all that much. It takes a while for everything to expand and settle in then it runs fine. Having said that; the throttle bodies do need cleaning every 5k miles or so but if it's just idling too low when warm after shutting off the idle accelerator lever then there's a Phillips head screw under the left side of the tank. A quarter turn to the right should do it; maybe less. Do it with the engine running and warmed up.

It's also possible you got some bad gas or maybe your fuel filter is getting clogged up. They do need replacing from time to time. It can vary from region to region how often and the quality of fuel used and where it was from. Lots of variables. I like that K-100 idea. I think I'm going get a bottle myself. Sounds like a quality product that's more robust than the Seafoam I sometimes use. It may clear up any injector issues you may have too if it's a varnish issue and not a piece of crap blocking the nozzle.

How many miles on the bike and can you find out when the fuel filter was replaced? It's inside the tank. If it has never been replaced to your knowledge you might want to consider doing it. Hint: Run the tank as low as you can so you don't have to transfer or throw away much fuel.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
The K-100 is better than Seafoam by far, I like a little Seafoam in the vehicle tanks from time to time to freashen them up. The K-100 is perfect for when the bike is running rough, now not saying his problem is gas related but if it is this will help.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
With that year bike, the biggest things to check with your issue are : if the throttle body is clean (should be cleaned every 3-5k), the rubber throttle boot doesnt have any cracks or tears, the vent caps on the throttle body arent rotted or cracked, battery in top shape (vics are VERY voltage sensitive and do weird **** when the voltage is low), i would put new plugs in and make sure they are gapped correctly (.034").

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got it out and rode it yesterday. Temps in the 60’s. I done a pressure test on the fuel pump and a good healthy 50 psi. Vacuum port rubber looks ok. I did see a crack on the intake port close to the throttle body.

Started bike up and idled up just a tad when warm. Seemed to help a lot. I sprayed some wd40 on the crack and no changes to engine idle. Probably replace anyway and clean throttle body.

Bike ran great. I’ll keep an eye on it and thanks for the many replies.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright guys, still having problems. Cleaned the throttle bodies and still having the acceleration hesitation and pops and backfires on occasion. Definitely getting some fuel filters. Running fuel system cleaner now. Any more suggestions I should do why it’s down?

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
...I will still suspect the rubber throttle body... mine showed cracking on the body, after I changed it out and closely inspected it those cracks were not all the way thru; but where they were cracked was where they are connected to the head... so under acceleration and the engine produces lots of vacuum it opens up : my 2¢

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...I will still suspect the rubber throttle body... mine showed cracking on the body, after I changed it out and closely inspected it those cracks were not all the way thru; but where they were cracked was where they are connected to the head... so under acceleration and the engine produces lots of vacuum it opens up : my 2¢
Is there any orings that need to be replaced as well?

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
Is there any orings that need to be replaced as well?
...no O-rings

Also, what's the best way to get the air box off?
...I upgraded to an aftermarket air box so mine was ez to get at; I think the only way to preserve and re-install the stock airbox is to drop the motor.
There are pluses to get rid of the stock airbox 1) it's ugly as sin - removing it makes a nice negative space under the tank 2) you get more airflow (if your running a stock exhaust you shouldn't NEED a fuel controller) adding a fuel controller now would be a good idea since they run on the lean side from the factory anyway.

Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Wheel Motor vehicle

...no ugly plastic for me :)

·
Registered
724 Posts
Alright guys, still having problems. Cleaned the throttle bodies and still having the acceleration hesitation and pops and backfires on occasion. Definitely getting some fuel filters. Running fuel system cleaner now. Any more suggestions I should do why it's down?
If you're experiencing acceleration hesitation then igniting coil may be another potential culprit to consider. Also double-check all's good with the battery as PreachSF noted.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'd have to go with PreachSF and waterhog noted double-check all’s good with the battery. Darned new bikes are finicky as as all get out when it comes to the battery. Start/Keep it simple.....LMYR

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.