VOG Forum banner

Rough idle

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  MidlifeRed 
#1 ·
2012 cct, 30k miles.
Started a couple months ago.
Having alot of exhaust pops and rumbles when letting off throttle and almost stalling when coming to a stop.Thought maybe bad gas at first. Then was thinking plug wires, which I probably should do anyway.
BUT, after reading some of the threads on here, I just went out to checked some of the vacuum line rubbers, and sure enough, EVERY ONE of the rubber connectors are cracked and a couple are split open. All the rubbers on the idle air control assembly.
Font Line Parallel Auto part Triangle

Item "5 is the complete assembly for $38.
Is this all the vacuum lines on this bike? Or is there more?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Here's some pics of the rubber couplings. It's going to take a week to get the new assembly. I could probably find something at a parts store. But the one at the bottom is 3 all in one coupling. So I'll wait on the OEM parts.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design
Automotive tire Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive exhaust
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Hood Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Electrical wiring
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Automotive tire Bumper Gesture Gas Automotive exterior

#8 ·
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive exterior
This is interesting... I recently noticed the same issues and have been trying to figure out what it might be.
When I recently installed my PCV I found a split rubber boot on the air box connection side of the IAC assembly - completely split with a gap between the connections - see pic attached, however I think I must have a few more since it's still not running right - gets better after we'll warmed up. I fixed my boot with a piece of durable fuel line hose which fit the stiff plastic tube perfectly and the air box nipple on the other end to the IAC assembly. I used a thin smear of high temp RTV to glue the tube to my modified boot. However, as I mentioned, I'm still having issues (bike ran amazing after my recent Dyno tune, but a couple weeks later I'm having these issues).
So, I guess I need to scour around for more splits/leaks in the IAC assy, and maybe check the battery for low voltage... any other suggestions? Do I need to remove the gas tank and look for more hose connections? This is killing me, especially after the Dyno has it running so nicely...

#9 ·
Still fighting this intermittent rough idle and excessive popping. Checked the other boots in the IAC assembly and they looked ok. Did the IAC reboot as well.
Then checked the battery - looks ok I think:
12.8V sitting
12.1 to 12.2V with ignition on and lights on
14.4V running and idling
Anyone have some ideas of other possibilities? My rough idle and excessive popping seems to come and go intermittently...

#11 ·
So I checked for vacuum leaks with a propane bottle and hose, and didn’t find any issues. However... I decided to try the IAC reset again, but this time using the ignition key instead of the kill switch to cycle the IAC (I think I read that in the service manual), and my ‘excessive’ popping is much improved now (it was more of a backfire sometimes to be honest). I get the decel popping but nothing like it was before.
So, is the IAC reset supposed to be done with the key and not kill switch? If that’s the case, that’s probably what my issue was... if kill switch does the same, then I guess it was a lucky try this time?
The other thing I’m trying to rule out is an exhaust leak as a possible source of some of the popping (although I think I’m good now),... I guess I need to start smoking to do that test??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.