VOG Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I have a 2010 victory hammer S. It has the lloydz torque tube intakes and a power commander 5 installed.

The bike started idling very high the other day at around 1800RPM, it would basically drive me down the road like I was throttled on. It was also surging intermittently whn idling but drove fine when i actually was giving it some gas.. I found a site that indicated I could reset the idle by doing:

Turn key on and kill switch on. Then turn key off and listen for the iac valve, then repeat two more times and then your all set.
That seems to have worked and its now idling around 1K RPM but its still surging idling rough. I have read that the most likely cause for this is either a cracked in the throttle body which isn't readily apparent without removing the tank or the IAC valve. I was going to buy the replacement lloydz valve to address some backfiring already.

Am I on the right track? Anything else I can check that would give a clear indication of the issue or that I am obviously overlooking? Thank you

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hello.
I have a 2010 victory hammer S. It has the lloydz torque tube intakes and a power commander 5 installed.

The bike started idling very high the other day at around 1800RPM, it would basically drive me down the road like I was throttled on. It was also surging intermittently whn idling but drove fine when i actually was giving it some gas.. I found a site that indicated I could reset the idle by doing:

Turn key on and kill switch on. Then turn key off and listen for the iac valve, then repeat two more times and then your all set.
That seems to have worked and its now idling around 1K RPM but its still surging idling rough. I have read that the most likely cause for this is either a cracked in the throttle body which isn't readily apparent without removing the tank or the IAC valve. I was going to buy the replacement lloydz valve to address some backfiring already.

Am I on the right track? Anything else I can check that would give a clear indication of the issue or that I am obviously overlooking? Thank you
Wouldn't be surprised if you found the common problem.......throttle body. I'm told some years were worse than others for deterioration . My 06 Hammer is showing some cracks but with no performance issue yet. Purchased new one and will install soon. Sounds like you have a simple vacuum leak of some sort. Just mo.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
been through 2 mechanics so far for this. One guy wouldn't look at it at all, the second guy reconnected my O2 sensors... I wander what kind of trade in I can get toward that indian scout.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
What area are you in?
We may be able to point you to a better shop.

After the Hammer that Scout is going to feel like a toy.
Won't be long before you will be wishing you had the Hammer back.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What area are you in?
We may be able to point you to a better shop.

After the Hammer that Scout is going to feel like a toy.
Won't be long before you will be wishing you had the Hammer back.
Im in pittsburgh, I would love a recommendation for a mechanic. The vic shop guys are a bit far for me to get to. I think witchdoctors is in Warren OH which is only like 90 minutes away but it looks like they are just a parts shop not a repair place.

I added a video as well if anyone has any ideas. The symptoms are:
the bike idles at almost 2K RPM and if I fall below 1800 rpm it will throttle me up, that includes when im coasting in gear.
If the bike is moving and I pull in the clutch the engine surges a bit and the RPMs bounce between 1300 and 1900 (38 second mark)
However when I come to a stop, it goes back to 1800 RPM at idle (53 second mark)
Last thing is that when stopped and idling, if I let the clutch out enough to just start moving it will drop the RPMS(start of video). Then if I let the clutch out completely it will stutter a bit but get me moving

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I'm gonna take a wild guess & say TPS (Throttle Position Sensor).
Hoping others will post soon.

Reactions: jafomofo

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One other thing. It sounds to me like the left side air intake is louder than normal and the one mechanic that looked at it did say 'it was running on the back cylinder'.

Is that an indication of a vacuum leak? Do I have to take off the tank to look for it?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Have you checked the throttle body intake boot for cracks? It's a common problem and could definitely be the source of a vacuum leak

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Throttle body ADAPTOR not the throttle body. The adaptor is rubber. They deteriorate over time.
The IAV lines are rubber, right? They deteriorate over time.

Why is it a big deal to take the fuel tank off? Three bolts a fuel line and a couple of vent lines.

Throttle cables binding?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Throttle body ADAPTOR not the throttle body. The adaptor is rubber. They deteriorate over time.
The IAV lines are rubber, right? They deteriorate over time.

Why is it a big deal to take the fuel tank off? Three bolts a fuel line and a couple of vent lines.

Throttle cables binding?
I watched a few videos about removing the tank, checking the tubes and cleaning the throttle body. Hopefully I will get a chance to do it tomorrow. My aversion to doing it was just concern over making things worse but part of the deal is learning to fix what breaks so that is the plan.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
I watched a few videos about removing the tank, checking the tubes and cleaning the throttle body. Hopefully I will get a chance to do it tomorrow. My aversion to doing it was just concern over making things worse but part of the deal is learning to fix what breaks so that is the plan.
Your bike is newer... Some of what you're watching might not apply.

If you are apprehensive about taking the tank off and feel you might do harm by working on the bike, my advice is don't work on the bike yourself.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I wound up getting a chance to do this today and tentatively it seems to be fixed. The tubes connecting to the IAC were disconnected. The center tube was still on but the other 2 were completely off, one on the valve side and one at the T tube near the throttle body.

Just took it for a test drive around the neighborhood and its idling normally now although the throttle response is reduced a bit.

Is this something that someone would have done intentionally and potentially the core issue is somewhere else?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Removed the O2 sensors and its completely back to normal. I know the bike was tuned for not having those on but the difference is remarkable. So much more power and direct throttle response. With the sensors on it was louder and had the occasional miss while idling. Perfect now.

That said, the one negative is that as its set up now, the bike backfires and decel pops. It looks like people use both the add on IAV from llodyz and the timing wheel to address these issues. Is the variable timing wheel the first option?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.