VOG Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,463 Posts

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I've done it several time over the past few decades.. but haven't done it in like 10 years now. I think it was a 'better' event back in the 80's.. but then again most bike events were. Fewer squids back then.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Seems like a BS reason to stop doing the event to me. Looks like the event planners have lost focus on the reason it was started in the first place. Maybe it’s time for new leadership in the organization.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Like many charitable organizations and clubs they usually rely on a few key people at the top to keep things going. They can get lots of vocal support but it ends there. Not many step up to the plate to take some of the physical or mental load. 32 years of running this ride the organizers have to be commended for all they've done.

Hopefully someone steps up to the plate when they realize the ride is in crisis to either take it over as-is or perhaps move it to a location that is easier to administer.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Like many charitable organizations and clubs they usually rely on a few key people at the top to keep things going. They can get lots of vocal support but it ends there. Not many step up to the plate to take some of the physical or mental load. 32 years of running this ride the organizers have to be commended for all they've done.

Hopefully someone steps up to the plate when they realize the ride is in crisis to either take it over as-is or perhaps move it to a location that is easier to administer.
Moving the location should not be an option! The purpose of the ride is to bring home POW / MIA troops. It is a ride thru DC to get the government to act on bringing them home. The organization helps raise money and support to make it happen. All of those bikes riding thru DC are to help raise awareness of the issue. Evidentially the ones in charge of the event have not done a very good job at making that fact known based on your post.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
They could very well be doing a great job but as you haven't noted, I'm not from the USA and am not familiar with the details of the ride. I am however directly familiar with charitable organization events here as well as supporting veteran causes. DC seems to be the best place to get the attention of politicians but how many really notice the ride held on a Sunday when they are at home. In any case my main point still stands (from experience) that is it is hard to get the support required to pull off such a large scale event. You're correct that maybe some manpower changes are needed and hopefully enough people step up to take the reigns and the valuable event can continue.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
And did you catch the point being made?
Not unless you mean they changed the name to include all vets and not just the ones from WW1.

Changing the location serves no purpose other than it being to difficult for the organizers to continue it. There are still 85,000 POW / MIA out there. If dealing with the DC police and the pentagon is to difficult, what chance do they have of bringing home those soldiers. Seems to me they are just taking the easy way out.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Not unless you mean they changed the name to include all vets and not just the ones from WW1.

The "Ride to the Wall" is done on Memorial Day; a day that celebrates those who died in service, not POW's and MIA's. The fact that the event is broadened, and arguably
diluted in purpose, is the same point that I was making with Armistice Day; things get diluted or dismissed all together if the message isn't kept sharp and in focus.

Reactions: Cruzie27
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.