VOG Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2013 xc tour and want to replace the speakers. I have read a ton of stuff but don’t want to change the radio or add an amp. The polk 5.25 speaker which got high reviews is no longet available. My local store tells me the only thing available in a quality 5.25 is the rockford fosgate. Has any one tried these? If so was the sound improved at all. Do they bolt in wiyh no mods? Thanks for any input

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I just put some Polk 5.25 in my trunk. If you aren't willing to install a amp, I wouldn't waste my time or money. WD used to make some amp/speaker combo kits.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
  • Winner
Reactions: wvrider1

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Not everyone can afford to spend money on music upgrades, so I installed the MTX Thunder52 speaker. It does sound better than stock especially at higher speeds. No mods, but I did put sound mat in the fairing.
It has great specs and you can find them for $65 - $80 pair.
  • 5-1/4" polypropylene cone with rubber surround
  • 1" pivoting silk dome tweeter
  • power range: 2-45 watts RMS (90 watts peak power)
  • frequency response: 55-20,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 92 dB
  • impedance: 4 ohms
  • top-mount depth: 2-3/16"
MTX Thunder52 Thunder Dome Series 5-1/4" 2-way speakers at Crutchfield

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Good speakers have larger magnets than those dime store magnets on the stock speakers. Good speakers need more power to drive them. If you're not going to install an amp you're basically wasting your time. The way to go is 6.5" speakers with an amp. Go big or don't go.

·
Registered
306 Posts
  • Winner
Reactions: bikendad

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
My experience going down this road as I was more interested in engine performance. Saving money, one for the other. Bought a RF amp and speakers OE size and the easy install connectors from WD. Didn't sound bad. I wear a 3/4. I could hear clearly up to 45-50 mph. That worked for a season and a 1/2 when one speaker went bad. Rode all last year with no jams. Now have a yankphan unit. A Massive 400w amp. DB 6.5 speakers and a install kit from a guy on FB. Now at 80 mph can hear and understand the jams. NOBODY wants to spend money they don't have to. But you can learn from others and spend your money wisely "once".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.