VOG Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am thinking of putting a Roadlok Defender on my Vegas just as a little extra protection from theft. I was wondering, since with this system you have to detach and reattach the brake caliper, if it voids the warranty on a bike.

Does anyone know?

Here is the system I am looking at:

http://roadlok.com/download_center/Defender_Install.pdf

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

I have just installed the Defender Roadlok on my Kingpin, the chrome unit, A great looking product. They are here on this site, if you have any questions they will surely answer them. I had toundo the brake line clampon the top tripple tree to get some extra slack.
http://thevog.net/ROADLOK

·
Registered
402 Posts
So after having some derelict checking out my bike a little to closely this morning, I just ordered one of these through Dennis Kirk. Should get it tomorrow and installed as well. Man, been sitting here at work worried, can't wait to go to lunch and park in the main lot, not the motorcycle pad out back. Probably nothing to it but I'd still rather have the security.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I just installed my RoadLok. It literally took me 15 minutes to do the install. I'm not the most gracefull guy with a wrench either. At first I thought the brake line was too short but a little pull to get some more slack and it was good to go. Four bolts, some loctite, and a torque wrench and you are done. The chrome finish is a lot nicer than the chrome on my forks too! Now I have to send in my calipers and get them chromed to match better!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I gave it the old college try.

Alas, it does not fit. Well, the Roadlok fits fine but my brake cable on my 09 Vegas 8-ball is too short. Even with pulling it tight as far as I can, there is not enough there to reach.

I don't really have it in me to replace the brake cable, so on to another alternative.

Thanks!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Steve, I was thinking of getting the calipers chromed at some point but might have to do it sooner now.

johnst - did you take some of the slack from the handle bars and the triple tree area? After feeding some line through those two grommets I had enough length. Without that it wasn't even close.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Rowebote,

Yeah I pulled as much cable as I could and I can actually get it to work, but the cable is extremely tight with no slack whatsoever. That kinda freaked me out so I decided to uninstall it. My bike had some customization from the dealer and I wonder if they put on a shorter brake cable...

I guess the alternative is to get the dealer to put on a longer brake cable...
Thanks for your help!

j

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

Are you running the stock bars or an upgrade? I undid the upper guide on the top tree, also some have run their cables behind the tripple tree.
OneThumb

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OneThumb,

I have the Ness flybars, an upgrade. I don't think undoing the upper guide will give enough slack but I could look at running the cable behind the tripple tree...

Thanks for the tip!
j

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

Hi
I have an 09 with stock bars, I was thinking ofupgrading to theFlybars myself, I knew that the cables and brake line were long enough to do this without having to buy the extended cable set. I think it's Witchdoctor, who can make up a new line for you 2 or 3" over stock length, cheaper than buying the whole set. How much more length do you think you need?
Question-do you pick up any vibration with the Flybars?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OneThumb,

Sorry for the delay...

As for the vibration of the flybars, no i really don't notice all that much-nothing bad. Keep in mind that this bike is new and I am yet to put some serious miles on it though!

-j

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.