VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a used 2014 crossroads eight ball , was coming up on 10,000 mile service and decided to have twin cities Polaris do the service just for piece of mind. After service was done I started to do upgrades on bike . I bought the bike from a Harley dealer ship, it was a trade in. I knew it had bassani two into one exhaust, a power commander V. I did not know if it had a aftermarket air cleaner. Three weeks after service I called the Polaris dealership and ask them if they remember what air cleaner I had. After talking to the “**** “ at the counter and explaining that I needed to talk to someone in service and I had a technical question. I finally got to a service tech he told me he does not remember my bike’s service since he didn’t do it , he did tell me he knows the bike from previous owner . I asked him about the air cleaner and he told me that as far as he kinda remembers it was after market. I looked at my receipt didn’t say anything about it not being serviced. He told me if it was after market it was cleaned oiled and reinstalled. After tearing my bike apart I found a dirty reusable air filter? No finger prints no sign of being cleaned only three weeks ago ! So did I get ripped off , if so what else were they to lazy to inspect? Clearly in service manual it states air filter will be replaced or in this case cleaned at 10,000 miles ! But to not even been inspected makes my blood boil from lack of professionalism not to mention a safety aspect to the rest of the service!my bill was $473 including a brake line extension! Your opinions and what action should I take?

Attachments

• Winner
Reactions: PJRo

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
My thoughts are you need to take a step back, take a deep breath, and maybe pour yourself a drink. For starters your issues are with a dealer not Polaris. And it pains me to say that as I'm the first to jump on the bash Polaris bandwagon these days. Next, that doesn't look like an aftermarket filter. It's probably stock, maybe Vic stage 1, which either way means it's worthless. Since you're doing upgrades what you want is Lloyd's filter for Cross bikes and a new map for the PC-V. At this point as I see it wether or not the tech lifted the filter out to inspect, leaving finger prints, really amounts to much ado about nothing. The service cost was high but I bet the tech did spend time checking and changing stuff more important than this filter which should be good for more than 10k anyway. Live and learn, onto those upgrades!

·
Super Moderator
26,093 Posts
K&N says under normal conditions cleaning is required every 50k miles.

My Airaid filter on my truck says 30-50k depending on conditions.

So even if they didn't clean it I wouldn't be upset.

However I agree that the filter you showed does not seem to be a oiled hi performance one. I would just replace it.

Unless your bike has this and it is what the tech was speaking of but it sounds like he wasn't really sure, do I doubt it.

Air Filter Cross Bikes Lloyds in Hi-Performance Parts - Featured - Your #1 Source for US Made, Custom Victory & Indian Motorcycle Parts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ordered the Lloyd’s high performance air filter . My problem is if it is stock it should have been replaced according to the owners manual at 10,000 miles. I paid for a 10,000 mile service from a Polaris dealership witch is supposed to follow the victory service agreement. I paid for a service and did not receive such service . So with that being said why didn’t air filter get checked ? In my opinion is it is a b I t c h to get to so it was skipped thinking a guy bringing a used victory to a dealership to have a simple service done obviously won’t check that ? Just my opinion facts are it wasn’t checked and that’s what I paid for. Makes me wonder what else was hard to do and didn’t get done ?

·
Super Moderator
26,093 Posts
Ordered the Lloyd's high performance air filter . My problem is if it is stock it should have been replaced according to the owners manual at 10,000 miles. I paid for a 10,000 mile service from a Polaris dealership witch is supposed to follow the victory service agreement. I paid for a service and did not receive such service . So with that being said why didn't air filter get checked ? In my opinion is it is a b I t c h to get to so it was skipped thinking a guy bringing a used victory to a dealership to have a simple service done obviously won't check that ? Just my opinion facts are it wasn't checked and that's what I paid for. Makes me wonder what else was hard to do and didn't get done ?
That's why I do all mine myself. That way I know what's done and how.

Reactions: 1 person

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do the stock air cleaners have a wire mesh on them ??Or are they just paper ?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
NSANE530...
I 'spect yer bashin' a minor item.
An air filter? Jeez man change it or clean it yerself.
Minor item.
Try payin' for a fork oil change, bringin' in the parts (sleeves, seals,....), and then ridin' away to find (the next day) that the upper triple-tree clamps were loose. I mean hand tight loose! The service cost $500.
So, what can ya do?
Vote with yer wallet!
First, do this by not goin' back (they loose).
Second, tell people to avoid the dealership (they loose).
Man, when someone does me rigthous... I come home, tell people who ask how it went.
Come home, wife asks: How'd it go at the bike shop?
I answer: 'K.
It's expected!
Ya shouldn't have a bad experience. Things are 'K.
But, if I get burned by a dealership I tell everyone! Hell, I'll be standin' in line at the grocery store and talk ta the lady in back of me in line 'bout the $hitty 'sperience at the Vic dealership (by name).

Yer filter problem doesn't seem as dangerous an over site as my triple-tree 'sperience but, it does point to inattentiveness. So, avoid 'em if yer disappointed. I've even began to educate a local independent shop on how to service my bike.

Reactions: NSANE530

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Do the stock air cleaners have a wire mesh on them ??Or are they just paper ?
The stock filters are just paper. What you have there in the photo with the wire mesh is the factory HP filter that can be cleaned and re-oiled. I service the HP air filter on my XR around every 20,000 miles since I'm not on dusty gravel roads etc. much.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input I appreciate it . I won’t be going back to that dealership.

·
Registered
603 Posts
That looks like the Vic stage 1 filter. If the tech lifted the tank and saw what your picture shows then I wouldn't blame him for setting the tank back down and calling it good. For all you know he did take it out and blew out the heavy dirt then put it back in. If they didn't charge for a new filter you didn't get one. They run a lot of bikes through a dealership and after three weeks not remembering what the filter looked like wouldn't surprise me. It doesn't look like that filter was ever oiled so if he left it that way he probably thought that was what you expected.
Sounds to me like you really didn't want to take the bike in so you weren't going to be satisfied anyway. Next time do it yourself. You will feel better and save a few bucks.
As for running down the dealership, those guys are just trying to make a living. They are set up the way they are to accomodate a broad range of the motorcycling public. If you need individual attention find an independant or plan on spending a lot of money at the dealership so they get to know you. As for the ***** at the counter, often times they react the same way they are treated.
Now, cheer up and go see what's under the tree. It's Christmas. If they were that bad Santa left the coal in their stocking, not yours.

·
Banned
2,192 Posts
First mistake...buying the bike from a harley dealer...:22yikes:

Second mistake taking you bike to a victory dealer for service...:brick:

Besides that...Merry Christmas and a happy New Year. ..:beer3:

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
Add to your info where you live....I'm sure someone on here will advise you where to take your bike. No one touches my bike if I can't do except KEVINX....already set to take to him while I'm down in Florida in Feb/Mar for major "go over" (48,000 miles with just oil/tires) and change oil in forks. As stated, NOT PolaraSS problem, it's the dealer and always remember one thing: POWER OF THE INTERNET....let your thoughts be shared! :icon_thumleft:

Reactions: bikendad

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Ordered the Lloyd's high performance air filter . My problem is if it is stock it should have been replaced according to the owners manual at 10,000 miles. I paid for a 10,000 mile service from a Polaris dealership witch is supposed to follow the victory service agreement. I paid for a service and did not receive such service . So with that being said why didn't air filter get checked ? In my opinion is it is a b I t c h to get to so it was skipped thinking a guy bringing a used victory to a dealership to have a simple service done obviously won't check that ? Just my opinion facts are it wasn't checked and that's what I paid for. Makes me wonder what else was hard to do and didn't get done ?
It is not stock and it's not aftermarket either. I have both so I recognize this filter. It is Victory high performance filter. It comes preoiled and is a cleanable filter. The stock paper one is white, their high performance is gray.

I can't tell from the pic, but unless you have bugs and leaves in it, they may have very well inspected it, sucked out the debris and moved on.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
That looks like the Vic stage 1 filter. If the tech lifted the tank and saw what your picture shows then I wouldn't blame him for setting the tank back down and calling it good. For all you know he did take it out and blew out the heavy dirt then put it back in. If they didn't charge for a new filter you didn't get one. They run a lot of bikes through a dealership and after three weeks not remembering what the filter looked like wouldn't surprise me. It doesn't look like that filter was ever oiled so if he left it that way he probably thought that was what you expected.
Sounds to me like you really didn't want to take the bike in so you weren't going to be satisfied anyway. Next time do it yourself. You will feel better and save a few bucks.
As for running down the dealership, those guys are just trying to make a living. They are set up the way they are to accomodate a broad range of the motorcycling public. If you need individual attention find an independant or plan on spending a lot of money at the dealership so they get to know you. As for the ***** at the counter, often times they react the same way they are treated.
Now, cheer up and go see what's under the tree. It's Christmas. If they were that bad Santa left the coal in their stocking, not yours.
Dang it, if I read your post first, I could have just said...what he said.

·
Registered
404 Posts
First mistake...buying the bike from a harley dealer...:22yikes:

Second mistake taking you bike to a victory dealer for service...:brick:

Besides that...Merry Christmas and a happy New Year. ..:beer3:
I wouldn't bash the Harley dealer.

Years ago, I bought a 2 yr old 2005 Yamaha Roadstar with custom paint & after market pipes with 1900 miles on it for $7,000.
I think they sold close to ""trade in" for that price. I suspect HD Dealers don't like hanging onto other mfg bikes used bikes and clear them out.
I figured the HD dealer didn't have Yamaha experience so I took it to my favorite Yamaha dealer to have it checked out and did my own servicing from there.
Good deal and a great bike ( until I road my CCT)

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Yuba City , California
'K, so you mention Twin Cities Polaris in yer first post.
Then, you say yer located in Yuba City (CA?).
I thought at first you where located in MN, 'cuz of the Twin Cities reference, as Yuba City (CA) has a Twin Rivers Polaris NOT Twin Cities.

So, to that end I will say... the guys at Twin Rivers (CA) replaced my clutch.
I'll swear by 'em, not at 'em. They're yer typical laid back CA life-style biker shop.
1/2 of them are ex-Harley tech's that have moved over to Polaris.
They've given me good deals on labour ('cuz the boss controls the parts prices).
The whole set-up's a bit slack, I'll admit, with no REAL sittin' room, an out-door parts counter (think beer garden bar... LOL), and a separated shop with 4 bays. It looks like a dealership which out grew it's space and kept addin' on.
But, people make the dealership not the buildin's.

I'd rather solicit Twin Rivers (which's 60 miles away) than the local Vic dealer (which's 3 miles away).
The local dealership's has been so disappointing... loosing appointments I've made 2 weeks to a month in advance (in one case I made the appointment 3 times to be sure they'd have me in-line for service), the dealership desires the attention a car dealership garners without having parts on hand [when I'd make an appointment the first words out the despatcher's mouth (whether it be the Master Mechanic or his wife): Ohhh, we'll need to order parts for that...]--NOT, when would you like to bring the bike in?

Yet, 'cuz of their build abilities (in all forms of two wheels, not just Vics) this dealership has gained national acclaim. Their builds have been featured in magazines and videos. The shop has quite a followin' on Twitter and FB.

I'm not knockin' the shop--just the way I was treated. I'm sure not everyone's treated the same way by the dealership (otherwise they'd be outta business). I'm all for votin' with yer wallet!

·
Banned
2,192 Posts
I wouldn't bash the Harley dealer.

Years ago, I bought a 2 yr old 2005 Yamaha Roadstar with custom paint & after market pipes with 1900 miles on it for $7,000.
I think they sold close to ""trade in" for that price. I suspect HD Dealers don't like hanging onto other mfg bikes used bikes and clear them out.
I figured the HD dealer didn't have Yamaha experience so I took it to my favorite Yamaha dealer to have it checked out and did my own servicing from there.
Good deal and a great bike ( until I road my CCT)
"I wouldn't bash the Harley dealer." Then don't...:22yikes:

I will continue to bash whoever and whenever I want...isn't that what this forum is for?:aktion086:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.