VOG Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for another riding jacket and want to know what others are wearing while riding and what they likeand ordislike about their jackets.
I'll start with what I currently wear:
Frank Thomas XTI Textile size Large.
Pros:

Removeable CE protective armour in shoulders,elbows, and spine pad
Fits true(I'm 6'1 w/ 44" chest)
Waterproof
Good ventilation
Removable liner
Price ($199)
Cons:
Pure black with no retro-reflective piping
Sport bike styling
Collar secures with Velcro which catches helmet strap

·
Registered
188 Posts

I currently wear a First Gear leatrher jacket with armor. I really like the jacket, but it can get a little hot in the summer (even with the vents open).
I am looking at the Joe Rocket Super Ego jacket. I like the idea of this jacket. It is leather with armor, but it is also convertable. In the hot weather you can zip off the Leather shell, leaving behind leather sleaves and shoulders only, and ride with the mesh body. It seams to be the best of both worlds. I've only seen pictures of it though. I'm hopping someone out there has some experience with this jacket or something similar.

·
Registered
814 Posts

I've got the PowerTrip which is basicaly the same jacket as the Joe Rocket pictured above except that the removableoutershell section on mine is fabric not leather. It also has a zip-in/out 100% waterproof liner. I love it. On really hot days I just wear the mesh which carries all the armour which is also removable if you wish.
I've got other leather jackets but honestly My Power Trip is all I ever wear any more.
Nice thing about it is you can sew patches on it easily without having to sew through all the layers.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
This is both an ON and an OFF TOPIC (Sorry, I got carried away):

NOTE: Long Post to Follow..Proceed at your own risk!

I've shopped the online discount motorcycle clothing sites and have found some great bargains. After all, what do I care if it's this year's or last year's model? (Nobody has every accused this blue jean wearing rider of being a fashion statement!).

I've been wearing a mesh jacket with a removable waterproof liner and armor in all the right places. It was a $300 jacket that was in the "closeout bin" for $99 when I purchased it last year. I then got an (overpriced) Victory iron-on patch and voila...a great jacket at a bargain price. Will it last for many years? Probably not, but it should last a few seasons and that's good enough for me.

If you call these online merchants, (most have a toll free number) the operators will tell you about their closeouts. You can also click on their Closeout/Discontinued Products links. While it's against the rules for me, as the operator of this site to click on the ads that appear here (so that I don't accumulate artificial clicks - and I do live by the rules) or to encourage or reward others to do the same, you'll find on many of the pages on this site some banner ads for discount motorcycle apparel stores.. Feel free to check them out to see if they have a great deal on a product you're looking for. Saving money in this economy and supporting retailers is our own way of providing an economic stimulus package for the retailers.

Also, since I live in a warm weather climate, my riding season is opposite the majority of the country. So, in the middle of the Summer when jacket sales are slow, the bargains are abundant. Or, in January when few bike owners around the country are riding is also a great time to find bargains. In this case, just wait for after the holidays to do your shopping to find the best prices. Also, some States have inventory taxes, so some additional discounts can sometimes be found the last week of the year.

This also works when buying helmets and other accessories online as we all know, business is slow and supporting them is a good thing...good Karma.

I like to call it "buying against the grain." I've been known to do this with stocks and cars. For example, during the tech boom, I looked at the financial stocks when others were trying to find the next Microsoft. For cars, buying when the economy is slow can lead to bargains. For example, buying an SUV today will cost much less than the same model just a few years ago. I've found comfort in the mantra, "Never be in a rush to spend money."

Whether it's buying a car or a bike, or even a house, many of us get excited and sometimes rush into a purchase. Sometimes we feel pressured that the car we want at the price we want may not be there tomorrow. C'mon, we're smarter than that...after all, when was the last time you saw a car or bike go UP in price? Not often, huh?

There's nothing like letting the salesperson knowing that you're not in a rush to make this purchase fairly soon in the buying process. Also, treating the salesperson with dignity and respect (and not being a time waster or an A$$) seems to work wonders these days. My habit is to do 99% of my research on a car or bike BEFORE I enter the store so that I know which car/bike I want. The test drive/ride will help you make the final decision.

Sometimes, especially with car salespeople, I open with a question that I already know the answer to, just to see if they will be providing honest answers to future questions. If they reply with an incorrect answer, instead of correcting them, I feel like I have the upper hand as I know that if their lips are moving, they are probably doing nothing more than trying to earn a commission and not listening to my buying needs.

A few years back where was a bike dealer (owner) who was a great salesman. But like a poker player, he had a "tell" that would let me know that the words that followed were most likely B.S. His tell was, "Well Andy (while looking at this shoes)..." That's when I knew that for whatever reason that he didn't want to answer my question as he felt that I would walk away when hearing the answer.

Finally, I don't even attempt to negotiate price until I'm positive I want the car or bike. One plan I tried when buying a very nice car was to go in with a pre-printed check (they always look more official than a hand written check), for the price I was willing to pay. When he brought up price, I listened with interest to his pricing and salesman telling me how lucky I was to get this deal as the Manager couldn't get this price for this Wife. Yeah, right! After hearing his near full price offer, I'd slowly and deliberately pull the pre-printed check from the wallet, place it on the desk, rotate it 180-degrees so that it's facing the salesperson and say something like thie:

"I only brought one check with me and I'm ready to buy right now. Here's a check that is less than you offered and if my calculations are correct, it should be the out the door price. If you and your manager accept my deal, I'll sign the check right now and you can start prepping the car.

More times than not, this works.

But, for some odd reason, unlike buying a car, sometimes we (as riders) feel that we cannot negotiate on bike purchases. While no one has every called me "cheap," maybe frugal might be a better word, like you, I would like to get the best deal possible. While buying a bike to us is an emotional purchase, and a purchase that will provide many years of enjoyment, take your time and show your poker face...give them the feeling that you'll have to think about it.

Since I've hijacked this thread a bit (it was about buying jackets and I've somehow jumped to buying bikes), allow me to bring up one more point. If you are financing a new or used bike, make sure to read all the fine print on the financing agreement. Take your time when going through the agreement and if you have any questions, be sure to address them to your satisfaction. See what happens if you're late on a payment or miss one entirely. Check the full interest rate for the full term of the contract, not just the first 12 months. You may be surprised at some of the details of the agreement. After all, the bikes we enjoy are not inexpensive to purchase.

Sorry for being so long winded...but you guys know me by now!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have a variety of jackets.

All versatile. I would NEVER buy online with out having tried one on for size. That sort of also screws your local shops. I usually will offer a barter with them. I have a buddy at Cycle Gear that will give a 10-15% discount for being part of Pashnit, another lady who basically only carries Ladies riding gear but is happy to order anything that gives a nice discount also.

Sizing on riding gear SUCKS at best.

I always end up buying locally because i want it NOW and it fits. Not to mention I want to keep my local bike shops and clothiers in business!

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

FishWitch said:
I have a variety of jackets.

Sizing on riding gear SUCKS at best.

I always end up buying locally because i want it NOW and it fits. Not to mention I want to keep my local bike shops and clothiers in business!
+1 On the sizing. Especially helmets
-1 On buying local. I would love to support my local dealer(s) but they dont have the stock. In a post a long time ago this came up, if the dealer has it in stock I don't mind paying the additional 10 -40% (depending on how much it cost, the cheaper the item the higher markup I will pay) but when they are ordering it from the same place I can and charging me more I can't except that. I am not getting it any quicker from them so why should I be expected to pay more? They should be happy to just make a smaller percentage when all they are doing is passing the paperwork, I am normally paying for the product upfront so that they will order it.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Oh yeah....now I remember....
I have a Shift mesh jacket with padding in the shoulders and elbows. It's vented very well and it's made for warm weather riding. As good as its vented, it still gets a little hot.
I'd go with leather if I lived on the mainland.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Once a year Vanson, that now makes jackets for Victory, has a clearance sale in store. I have never been there but many friends go and make out. I mean make out on a great jacket for a great price not make out in the hallway...
Sportmens Guide.com has some great deals off and on. They are a great place to do business. Order by the catalog directions and if it doesn't fit they will pay return shipping. I got my Victory cold weather gloves for $30 from them when I could not find my size at any dealer.
My 2 favorite jackets are Victory jackets. I won one for longest distance to Sturgis and the other for most miles on a Victory. Now that the get together at Sturgis has gotten so big they don't give stuff away, the meeting would go on all day.

·
Registered
515 Posts

Cortech GX Air in black / wht
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/GX-Air-Jacket-With-Leather-p-10_25.html
I really like it although the color is not helpfull sitting in traffic! It comes with 2 liners and really is a good 3 season choice.
Cons
riding with just the rain liner get's sticky fast & sitting in traffic on a hot day no matter the ventillation is no fun ina black jacket!
As far as buying local, being larger than the average bear I would love to try stuff on before purchasing however nowhere near me carries larger than the occassional XL. Parts I will try to have the locals match an online price (most will) & boots I have had terrible luck buying on-line (endless.com offers free returns though which is nice) so I try to go local - same problem not much selection for the larger foot size though!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I whare an old worn out biker jacket and sometimes on a hot day I ware a sleevless denim shirt. Im In the market for a new cow so this topic will be of some gr8 Info for me as well.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I wear a Fieldsheer Mesh jacket and i love it. It has all the protection, elboes, shoulders and back. It has a zip in/out liner for chilly or wet weather and it breathes great. I bought it from an onlne store (motorcycle superstore) and it was on sale for only 60 bucks! It was a great deal. The only thing i would suggest if your thinking of buying a Fieldsheer jacket, order a min of 1 size bigger I normally wear XL and i ordered a 2X and its just big enough. Also the zip in/out liner is a bit confusing the first time you try and put it back in. What i do now is put it on first, then put on the jacket over it and start zipping it together, then snap the little snaps(they are the confusing part until you know where they go)

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
After leaving your house Friday morning and riding through FLorida for a big part of the day, it was great. It got to about 95 degrees and on some stretches of the Black asphalt it got even hotter. Even though it was quite hot, the air flowing through kept me pretty comfy. Once i got into Georgia and the sun went down it got pretty chilly so while getting gas i put the liner back in and also put on a sweatshirt underneath and was nice and toasty until i stopped on the north side of Atlanta about 10:30 pm. The only thing that got cold were my ankles, because i had short socks on. Live and learn.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.