VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admit it, riding motorcycle became an addiction because that is the only time I feel free from depression. My sister was 26, she passed away at such a young age in 2013 and then my father a year after. Friends and family just kept on leaving every year. Last sunday morning on superbowl, a very good friend passed away from sleep apnea. Funeral is next week, life feels like a grain of salt now. Please share your bad time and how you overcome it, thanks

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I'm glad you found a clean healthy way of dealing with depression. I've had a bout or two during some down times in my life that passed with time. It would have been easy to crawl in a bottle of booze and stay there making things even worse.

Sleep apnea can be really dangerous. I've had my dogs wake me up when I stopped breathing from it. I use a CPAP when I feel the need which is becoming more and more often which does suck but it's better than waking up dead.

Stay strong friend. Ride it till the wheels fall off. :) Motorcycles to me could be called an addiction I suppose. I think of it as more of a calling. I can't remember a time, even as a little kid, when I didn't want to be on one. I really prefer to travel on two wheels vs four; weather and needs permitting.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I can lay out a great carpet of hard times, lost many people, family and friends.. my wife's health issues to my own health issues... I look at life in a way that, my life is/was hard, but there is always someone else out there that is worse off...

When we were told by the surgeon, my wife has breast cancer, we started making jokes, the itty bitty tittie committee was brought up, handsful, mouthful, and wastefully was brought up... the surgeon was kinda surprised by how we were handling the news..

I explained, when something happens, it happened, no reason to cry and get depressed about it, best to make light of it and have a better mood about it(that's where healing begins).. and I also said, she has breast cancer, there's someone out there that may have colon cancer, or something worse.

I find out a year later, my cousin's wife died from brain cancer, leaving him with 3 young daughter's.. my wife had a bi-lateral masectomy and implants done, I still have her...

Yup, the only reason I bother waking up in the morning is, I know someone is having a worse go at this life than me... Gives me a reason not to be so depressed about my own life...

I have a pickup truck, motorcycle, a house, property in another state, a job that I roll out of bed and into a chair, kids, grand kids, wife, and food, I think that's good enough.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
I've lost a few family members in the past years and a dog. When one aunt passed I nearly went to jail for DWI but I got very lucky and gained mad respect for law enforcement.

The older I get the more I realize alcohol makes things worse. My therapy is my bike. I can get out in the wind and clear my mind and get away from people.

I'm actually burying another aunt this weekend it's upsetting but I know it's the lifecycle. I also have gotten my two wheel therapy. I know things will hit again seeing my Dad upset but I'll try to be strong for him.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Many years ago my wife passed away from cancer when our daughter was three. The saddest part was how hard it was on my wife to leave her child. From then on the line from a very old delta blues song "Fixen To Die" remains in my mind - "I'm looken far in my mind lord. I believe I'm fixen to die, fixen to die. You know I don't mind dying but I hate to leave my children crying, children crying". Nothing that has or could happen to me could be worse than that event. Riding my first bike was one of the few things that made life enjoyable. I think it has to do with the concentration and openness associated with riding which, at least temporarily, wipes out all worries and allows me to be immersed in the present natural world.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
Glad you have an outlet that helps you OP! Riding is not just fun but therapeutic for many of us. Yesterday was my oldest son's birthday, he would have been 23 this year and even after almost 5 years it still feels pretty fresh. I had to get up and leave the office after lunch and take a long ride before I was in any shape to go home and work on consoling the wife. Lost my Son, Brother, Dad, Sister and best friend in a 4 year period and the one best constant thing that allowed me to get out alone, reflect and clear my head was my bike.
After the tragedy with my son my wife saw a therapist for a short time ( about 6 months) and it really helped even though she never was able to tolerate any of the meds that were prescribed. No one should have to accept depression long term and there are many ways to alleviate it if one works on it. My condolences on the recent passing of your friend and best wishes...........

·
Registered
910 Posts
I've lost a few family members in the past years and a dog. When one aunt passed I nearly went to jail for DWI but I got very lucky and gained mad respect for law enforcement.

The older I get the more I realize alcohol makes things worse. My therapy is my bike. I can get out in the wind and clear my mind and get away from people.

I'm actually burying another aunt this weekend it's upsetting but I know it's the lifecycle. I also have gotten my two wheel therapy. I know things will hit again seeing my Dad upset but I'll try to be strong for him.
I'm up for adoption. I make a cool Aunt

·
Registered
910 Posts
Riding is also my therapy. The one think I can say for sure, is that it is never goodbye, it is see you later. I don't want anybody crying over me. I don't think anyone wants that for a loved one. If I go tomorrow, I will see you later

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Jesus Christ and my wife have gotten me through the early death of mom and sister, the murder of relatives, the heartbreaking of bringing young children to a prison to visit a parent, having to tell those children that parent was never coming home, years of dealing with a painful, debilitating illness for a bedridden Dad which ultimately took his life, my own heart attack at 40 years old....those are some of the bad.

But I could write paragraph after paragraph about the incredible good that I've been blessed to experience, from meeting a sixteen year old girl that turned out to be the most incredible, kind and loving person I've ever met and for some unknown reason choose to make me the object of her affection, to my four kids, fifteen grandkids, three great grandkids, a blessed career (coming to a closes in another year or so) never missing a paycheck while all hell was breaking loose around me (layoff after layoff after layoff) to enjoying a ton of past times (riding motorcycles, flying airplanes, martial arts, shooting, etc., etc.) that the Good Lord and my wife have allowed me to participate in.

There is a financial advisor that does a radio call-in program. Anytime someone calls in and ask him "how are you doing" his response is "better than I deserve". That has become my response when I'm asked how I'm doing, I'm doing better than I deserve.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Jesus Christ and my wife have gotten me through the early death of mom and sister, the murder of relatives, the heartbreaking of bringing young children to a prison to visit a parent, having to tell those children that parent was never coming home, years of dealing with a painful, debilitating illness for a bedridden Dad which ultimately took his life, my own heart attack at 40 years old....those are some of the bad.

But I could write paragraph after paragraph about the incredible good that I've been blessed to experience, from meeting a sixteen year old girl that turned out to be the most incredible, kind and loving person I've ever met and for some unknown reason choose to make me the object of her affection, to my four kids, fifteen grandkids, three great grandkids, a blessed career (coming to a closes in another year or so) never missing a paycheck while all hell was breaking loose around me (layoff after layoff after layoff) to enjoying a ton of past times (riding motorcycles, flying airplanes, martial arts, shooting, etc., etc.) that the Good Lord and my wife have allowed me to participate in.

There is a financial advisor that does a radio call-in program. Anytime someone calls in and ask him "how are you doing" his response is "better than I deserve". That has become my response when I'm asked how I'm doing, I'm doing better than I deserve.
Way to go. Love your attitude

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
For me, the only way I can accept (not necessarily like) bad stuff is to get in it, wallow in it, hate it, cry about it, talk about it, and then put it away as part of life. It takes a few days/week, but it's the only way I know how to reconcile with the bad parts of life. I'll feel sad when I think of those moments, but I attempt to turn that into appreciation for what I've been blessed with.

I believe that people who leave us go to a much better place that I can only guess about. It's my selfish attitude about how it affects me that causes me misery. That selfishness on my part (not being able to see the person again for some undetermined period of time) is the misery. Watching my mom die of cancer twenty years ago was hard, but I learned in time to be happy for her--the pain of the cancer for two years really sucked for her. In the end, she was glad to go so she wouldn't suffer. I selfishly looked at it as my loss, not her freedom from pain.

Having spent time in a combat zone and written letters to family, asking forgiveness for all the crap stuff I did in case I didn't come home was hard. Recognizing the blessings that life has brought puts joy back in my life. God has plans for us all and in the end, my faith is what carries me along. I don't know what my plan is, nor my family, but I trust there's a reason for it that I'll know someday.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I admit it, riding motorcycle became an addiction because that is the only time I feel free from depression. My sister was 26, she passed away at such a young age in 2013 and then my father a year after. Friends and family just kept on leaving every year. Last sunday morning on superbowl, a very good friend passed away from sleep apnea. Funeral is next week, life feels like a grain of salt now. Please share your bad time and how you overcome it, thanks
Yeap, like to ride for the theropy also. I have a son that's going through drug addiction and a mother in a nursing home. So when I can get out on my Octane it clears my mind out well for the time being. When I'm out riding throughout the Connecticut country side it really is amazing how relaxing it can be. Mind and body. So I encourage all motorcyclelist to get out for some theropy. Very good subject line. Thanks,ride safe all.

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
While riding is certainly one way for me to "deal", dealing with hard times is not really part of my make up. I see life as a continuum, moving from one phase to the next, and sometimes, along the way, events happen to disrupt the flow. Or, maybe these events are part of the flow. These are questions I don't have the answer to. But I have faith in a God that does, and is in charge. I am not promised good times or the absence of bad times. I am promised that he will see me through all these things. And, as a bonus, I have learned a lot in every adversity.

I have a wonderful wife who has taught me something about dealing with troubles in life......get out of myself and seek to help someone else. This works better than anything else I know.

Riding is icing on the cake.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
While riding is certainly one way for me to "deal", dealing with hard times is not really part of my make up. I see life as a continuum, moving from one phase to the next, and sometimes, along the way, events happen to disrupt the flow. Or, maybe these events are part of the flow. These are questions I don't have the answer to. But I have faith in a God that does, and is in charge. I am not promised good times or the absence of bad times. I am promised that he will see me through all these things. And, as a bonus, I have learned a lot in every adversity.

I have a wonderful wife who has taught me something about dealing with troubles in life......get out of myself and seek to help someone else. This works better than anything else I know.

Everytime I get a post from you in my thread is already a stress reliever. The legendary Magvic CCT

The legendary Magvic CCT, it is nice to see you post in this thread and give a youngin like me a piece of your mind. Now we just need @VicVisionBulldog for calling you out in another thread to reply back to your post.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.