VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just got me a pair of leather chaps. Should I treat them with something before they see any kind of rough weather or should I clean and treat them after exposure?

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Anytime you can fill in pores with something good it'll keep something bad out and make it easier to clean later or at least that's how I view my leather gloves and boots.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Quality of leather has a big part in the life of your leather goods. I personally buy only Fox Creek Leather products. Love the quality and service. I've owned the same pair of leather chaps for some years now. I use mink oil paste on all my leather goods 2-3 times a year to keep the leather supple, water resistant and stitching thread from drying out. This includes gloves and jacket. I wipe down my jacket and chaps after each use to get any bugs and grime off, no saddle soap cleaning, just the periodic mink oil paste. Works for me so I stick with it.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
My wife just got me a pair of leather chaps. Should I treat them with something before they see any kind of rough weather or should I clean and treat them after exposure?
Chaps and exposure... I ain't gonna touch that and the only ones I have are on the Bike.

Then there are the Indian Rider Chaps, first the Cheftain:
Shoe Outerwear Arm Shoulder Leg
Joint Jeans Outerwear Neck Orange

Dark Scout version:

Brown Sleeve Gesture Thigh Knee
Outerwear Neck Sleeve Jersey Collar

:fiddy::22yikes: :liebe069: Maybe one day when it is really cold and my Silk Long Johns are up for the job.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I make my own leather treatment with bees wax & olive oil plus some essential oils.
If you are interested I can post the instructions.

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
I'm a fan of mink oil. The stuff is phenomenal. I don't wear chaps but I have my 'Stich transit 2 suit and the jackets of course. All have gotten wet and all look like new.

·
Premium Member
14,192 Posts
1. I NEVER ride without wearing chaps....well maybe not to mailbox, only 300 yards away
2. I also like mink oil....only product to be on mine in thinking over 100,000 miles. (sun and rain)
3. When hot, I wear shorts [email protected] pull up short legs....COOL breeze :badgrin:
4. Wife wanted to dye....NOT, image thing :badgrin: I want them to look WELL used:dance:

·
Super Moderator
26,124 Posts
I have Milwaukee Leather Gunslinger chaps. I've honestly never done anything to them other than wear them. They are nice and soft with a nice quality leather but maybe I should rub them down. It's not like I don't have leather conditioner, I've just never thought about it.

If anybody needs a set of chaps I have another pair of these same chaps in Medium that don't fit. I bought them gently used and they're in great shape but just don't fit. If you have small thighs and could use a nice set of chaps cheap send me a PM. They need a home.

·
6,677 Posts
@VicVisionBulldog Chaps for cheap ol' Chap? :biggrin: I tried some but I could not find a pair I was comfortable in. I also have a pair of Icon Overlord pants that work well. They are more sporty but have more of a boot cut instead of a tight leg like a typical sport pant. I won't wear 1pc. leathers, I would look beyond ridiculous! If I can get into slightly better shape that can be re-visited (I'm working on that), especially if I'm ever going to ride track. I'd want to be in better shape for that anyway.

·
Super Moderator
26,124 Posts
@VicVisionBulldog Chaps for cheap ol' Chap? :biggrin: I tried some but I could not find a pair I was comfortable in. I also have a pair of Icon Overlord pants that work well. They are more sporty but have more of a boot cut instead of a tight leg like a typical sport pant. I won't wear 1pc. leathers, I would look beyond ridiculous! If I can get into slightly better shape that can be re-visited (I'm working on that), especially if I'm ever going to ride track. I'd want to be in better shape for that anyway.
For some reason this sport bike looks less sporty.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Motorcycle helmet Vehicle

·
Registered
120 Posts
I own chaps, jacket and gloves from Fox Creek Leather. I use mink oil cream on all my leather riding gear. I mink oil them 2-3 times a year to keep the leather water resistant and stitching from drying out. I wipe down my chaps at the end of a day's ride. My jacket at the end of the ride unless there's something visible on the jacket. sitting behind a windshield keeps the jacket less prone to bugs than the chaps. A tub of mink oil cream will last a long time.

·
Super Moderator
26,124 Posts
This thread got me to break out my Bickmore Bick 4 leather conditioner that I've used on my other leather items, mainly boots, for years. I treated my chaps, her chaps, and my vest. Her chaps are brand new so it helped them the most but I'm glad I did it as they all look and feel better now. Now I may do my jackets but I had to take a break cause of my darn back.

·
6,677 Posts
@VicVisionBulldog No disrespect to the rider, but that is what I am talkin about! :badgrin: The good news is, I am not anywhere near that! I'm like a 50 chest. 42.5 at the belly button and a 35 inseam. Not horrible but it can be better, that's for sure. I'm workin on it.

Reactions: VicVisionBulldog

·
Registered
228 Posts
Whether it's chaps, jacket, vest, boots or riding gloves, I always give my leather goods a treatment of Dubbin once a year to help preserve them!.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Will chaps help keep a little heat away from the calves and thighs, if so I may get a set as they are not difficult to put on and take off......

·
Super Moderator
26,124 Posts
Will chaps help keep a little heat away from the calves and thighs, if so I may get a set as they are not difficult to put on and take off......
I find chaps very warm. I only use them if I'm going for an extended ride in temps no higher than the low 70s.

You may like what is called half chaps to protect from the engine heat. They are basically knee high leather gaiters that would probably do a better job for you without making you warm.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.