Riding at night ? | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Riding at night ?

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by ms0072, Oct 9, 2020.

1. ms0072

ms0072 Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2009 Kingpin low
    lately I have been considering starting to do some local rides at night and was wondering what the people who have ridden significant miles at night thought about the overall risk as compared to daylight riding of the same roads. Wildlife/traffic/visability of road hazards ....
    Sometimes assumptions dont match reality so looking for the opinions of some experienced night riders.

2. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    I ride often at night being I get off work after dark. I'm far more cautious. I slow down and know I can easily blend into surrounding traffic. I did add accent lights to both bikes to hopefully help out.

At night away from town animals are harder to see and many more are likely to be out. Riding through the night from Texas to Florida I went way north to avoid a hurricane and almost hit a huge raccoon that couldn't decide which way he wanted to go. Thankfully I was doing the speed limit and had enough time to slow even more and miss it.

I started with Victory on a 07 KP. I quickly added some lights to the motor guard for night riding, it had accent lights when I got it. The driving lights made a huge difference and I felt much better. I haven't on my Visions but it's headlight is far better than the one I had on my KP.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. VicVisionBulldog

Top Poster Of Month

20160125_195005.jpg

20160125_195023.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. firstvictory

firstvictory Well-Known Member

2017 Vegas 8 ball (BBC) and Vision 8Ball (BBBC)
    Those accent lights are nice! I recently had the headlights on the BBBC changed to led. Between those and the cyclops you could get a tan standing in front of that bike now. Though if I am riding at night, it wasn't on purpose.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. PreachSF

PreachSF Well-Known Member

Bullitt (07 Hammer S w/ Jackpot front end)
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. wvrider1

wvrider1 Well-Known Member

Goldmist/Black 14 XCT
    Wild life scares me more than cars do, you can at least see them coming. Phucking deer are every where around here, night is worse.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. primethious

primethious Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads
    The first time I crossed Idaho and parts of Montana doing 80-90 in the dark I was really worried about critters.
    I guess you'll eventually get over the fear unless you hit one! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    I ride at night a lot. I actually enjoy it quite a bit. Especially deep into the early morning on a clear night. It's pretty special. Problem is I have to pass right by a golf course which of course hosts a ton of forest rats. They are getting smacked all the time out there. But the Vision handles night riding very well with the lights she has. I really like the cyclops light as it's a real help in the fog/low visibility environment. I have had one close call with a deer on the Vic out there as well but the Vision's handling really made the difference. Stupid things don't even try to evade, they kinda come right at you! I make sure I place myself in the middle of the freeway and if cars are out there I use 'em as picks!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    In my early years, loved night rides... Older now, not as much for things listed.

But to put It into perspective, riding a bicycle yesterday in a State Park at 1 in the afternoon, had a strange feeling and started looking in the nearby woods for a deer or something. Something caught my eye and looked down at my foot, to see a four foot rattler 3 inches from my foot, as I scared the crap out of him. I just cringed turning away waiting for the strike, as he was reeling back from the front tire.

Came around to eye-ball him and he just gave me F-you look as he slithered back into the woods... The point, you get the point and keep your Guardian Angels near and listen when they yelling “Hey heads up!”

E9B9C9AF-9FEA-4D1B-98A6-4A12FFA3FDBA.jpeg . 7689B7F3-98BA-4D9B-AC65-651660E5FE4E.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Rollin

Rollin Well-Known Member

I like riding at night and have done several all-night rides, watched the sun set and rise.
    Less traffic and cooler in the summer.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  11. ms0072

ms0072 Active Member

2009 Kingpin low
    Im not so worried about lighting as my headlight is very very bright and I'll setup some quick release driving lights Ill have on for those rides. My main concern is the deer. There are tons of them around here. My favorite time to ride would be ~~ 4am - 7am . I like the quiet stillness and eventual sunrise, I think there may be less deer out then as well. I guess Ill get started on those light.

• Like Like x 2
  12. VicVisionBulldog

Top Poster Of Month

I enjoy it too. Riding that first leg to Florida over night was great. No sun, no traffic, not sweating my balls off. Just great! Riding home from work back on nights was the same. Now I get off at 2100 so I have some traffic to deal with but not a ton.

13. wvrider1

wvrider1 Well-Known Member

Goldmist/Black 14 XCT
    Sunrise and sunset is when they're moving. It's been bow season here past three weeks. They are up and moving now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Texasbaehr

Texasbaehr Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Vision Arlen Ness, Kawasaki Drifter 800
    When I got my Vision, my first night ride was not good. I thought the headlight really sucked. Replaced the bulbs with PIAA plasma and it was better but still sucked. So one night I decided to check the headlight alignment and found it way too low. Once it was properly adjusted I was impressed with the lighting.
    As I get older though it is more and more uncomfortable to ride at night. The glare from oncoming head,ights really affects my night vision now. Eye doctor said that is normal with age. So I limit my night driving now even in a car. We also have lots of deer and other wildlife around here too and they are unpredictable.
    Coming home from a cruise night tonight and saw a huge hog that got hit. That would be a real bad event on a bike. Black 400lb hog on an unlit country road! I've seen a whole family of them running down the side of the road out here at night. Have to really pay attention.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. jenkins

jenkins Active Member

2012 Victory CCT
    Try the yellow driving glasses or clipons. They should cut the glare for you and
    allow you to see into the night. Give them a try. Love mine!
    Jim

• Agree Agree x 1