VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I belong somewhere else where riding is all season long if I could make it happen through precautions of all seasons experienced riders. Winter is around the corner and riding is too much joy and a stress reliever. Any New England riders here riding all seasons? What are the tips to ride through out the seasons.

·
Super Moderator
26,093 Posts
Gear is key. Good waterproof gear that can keep you dry and warm will keep you on the road.

I'm a fan of heated gear. Down here I've been good with just a heated vest but plan on getting the wife and I both heated pants too.

I have Mobile Warming gear which has a line that is dual powered meaning it can run off a battery in the pocket or your bikes battery. That's what I'm looking at upgrading to. A vest or jacket as a inner liner and a set of outer plants for each of us.

Other than that I don't ride with any chance of ice on the road. Not a big issue here but it does happen.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gear is key. Good waterproof gear that can keep you dry and warm will keep you on the road.

I'm a fan of heated gear. Down here I've been good with just a heated vest but plan on getting the wife and I both heated pants too.

I have Mobile Warming gear which has a line that is dual powered meaning it can run off a battery in the pocket or your bikes battery. That's what I'm looking at upgrading to. A vest or jacket as a inner liner and a set of outer plants for each of us.

Other than that I don't ride with any chance of ice on the road. Not a big issue here but it does happen.
Do you have any specific brands for heating gears ?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A helmet with a good pinlock lens is a nice thing to have as well to stop fogging.
Thanks officer, I wish you could be a motorcycle class instructor here also. Most of the people
Around here who I know are already retiring their bike for the season. Quite early and it hasn't hit snowy winter yet. Starting to think they just want to ride to show off. Showing off is fine to me, but at least be realistic and enjoy riding through nature like me :(

·
Super Moderator
26,093 Posts
@Rollin I'm sure has some good tips. It may take him a few days to chime in though. You would not believe some of the things he has done. Kinda a motorcycle legend around here.

Reactions: Rollin

·
Registered
9,207 Posts

@Rollin hopefully he give some tips about his experience along with @MagVic CCT . Both are legendaries
@Rollin is your man, and @VicVisionBulldog is another one you can learn a lot from. I thank you for your confidence, but there's a lot of guys here that have covered more territory than me. I got a little recognition just because I'm crazy enough to ride eight to twelve hundred miles for lunch. :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I once flew from Portland, OR to London, UK for an Steak Dinner at an "American" restaurant run by Albanian twin sisters. Total trip time was about 40 hours. And the steak sucked! The food in First Class on the flight back was 10x better. I'd ride across the Atlantic if I could get the bike up to speed and didn't have to stop for gas.

Reactions: MagVic CCT

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
For cold weather riding I have had good luck with Firstgear equipment.
I have the Firstgear insulated HT over-pants, heated jacket liner and gloves.
On long cold rides I also wear my rain gear, including the shoe and (Rain-off) glove covers. I have a Tourmaster rain jacket and pants that have PVC added, really helps to block the wind. Also have a "helmet skirt" that blocks the cold and rain, works very well!!
I have a Pin-lock visor but I don't use it at night, blocks too much light. A shorter windshield that lets air flow past the visor helps to keep it clear on cold and wet days.

Extreme stubbornness and a Vision also helps. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Maybe I belong somewhere else where riding is all season long if I could make it happen through precautions of all seasons experienced riders. Winter is around the corner and riding is too much joy and a stress reliever. Any New England riders here riding all seasons? What are the tips to ride through out the seasons.
I usually put my bike away 1st or 2nd week in in November live in Ct. Not a fan of the cold weather. BURRR!!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I see this an posted in an Octane thread? Do you have an Octane? You are totally exposed the I presume..........so all the previous posts on blocking wind is paramount. Then you need to replace the heat loss. Go check out Dennis Kirk or Revzilla for pricing on gear. I second @VicVisionBulldog on MobileWarming gear I have the 7.4 volt battery jacket and would love to upgrade to the 12 volt dual power stuff. I then go to the next level. Check out Hippo Hands you do not need the large ones that fit a XC they make small hand covers that would block the wind. There are other makers however you gotta get those hands out of the wind.

http://www.thevog.net/threads/hippo-hands-happy-hands.62443/

BackCountry

Electric Motorcycle Clothing - Dennis Kirk, Inc.

Heated Motorcycle Gear & Jackets

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
You got the clothes covered so now watch out for that black ice.
That's the blacktop that gets a thin sheet of water frozen on it.
Can't tell it is ice until you ride across it & the bike goes a bit squirley.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks officer, I wish you could be a motorcycle class instructor here also. Most of the people
Around here who I know are already retiring their bike for the season. Quite early and it hasn't hit snowy winter yet. Starting to think they just want to ride to show off. Showing off is fine to me, but at least be realistic and enjoy riding through nature like me :(
I haven't put mine up yet, rode her yesterday here in NH!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Warm gear is important, chest(extremely important), hands and legs, all water and wind proof. Full faced helmet, snowmobile helmets work great, but reg full faced with anti fog shield (or liquid soap from your nearest mcdinks) is the best.. for neck,a neck fleece or "elephant skin"...

Ride when you can see, if you need to make a curve, use your body weight(lean your body more than bike), plenty of brake distance, do not touch the brake on black ice, do not panic if something happens, just ride it out and be smooth.... I've had a few pucker moments.

I cannot stress enough to you on keeping those wheels turning, I "lost traction" while doing 70 on a highway while making a left hand curve, I went over an expansion joint that was pretty iced over, kept my throttle steady, rode it 3 lanes till the tire picked up traction...

On unplowed areas, look for the smoothest possibly route, the divots suck, and you will have zero choice if you run into a tire rut, your bike will follow it, let it!

It all helps if you are already proficient with vehicle control in low traction environment... The bike will try to stay straight, any major change will cause an issue...

Maybe get yourself a winter rat, and if you feel comfortable, keep the winter rat for winters....

I was recently just told again that I am stupid for riding In the winter.... Oh talking all about this, take off your fenders, clean the underside and put on some type of under coat.... Por 15(best and most expensive), Rust-Oleum, just something that will prevent that the salt from eating your fender and cost a paint job...

Like below (picture after sandblasting)

Wood Automotive exterior Rim Auto part Metal

Reactions: mister-g
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.