VOG Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didnt see a forum section for riders Safety... SOOO I post here. I live in the midwest -- cold crappy weather. This past weekend we stole a day -- 49 degrees and dry with a few wet spots. But the riding conditions were rainy / gusty wind conditions towards the end of the ride. Not fun. Often times I thought I was going to get blown off the road.

I'll be honest its a bit scary when your on the free way and you feel like if you ride upright you will get blown off the road. I felt I had to lean to the left A LOT!

Anyone have suggestions or similar stories?

·
Registered
4,500 Posts

It's tuff. The more tense you get the tougher it is. Two options in that condition.
If you are at all uncomfortable and fighting it, get off the freeway and take back roads. Always ride in YOUR comfort zone.
Second is, relax. Less grip and if needed angle the bike into the wind, let the wind blow you around.
I have used both, and even got back on the freeway after I settled down.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts

My first bike was a Honda Shadow, Sabre. It is/was kind of a Fat Boy look alike. Has almost solid cast wheels that act like sails in the wind. There were more than a few times when riding that bike I almost needed to change my shorts.
With the KP I have had only 1 severe wind incident. That was last summer when a bunch of us from local chapter of Southern Cruisers were riding West bound on a 2 lane backroad to meet some others in NW Illinois ot head to the Dells area for a weekend meeting. We started out in drizzle that became somewhat driving rain..we all had gear on from the start. We evidently (from reports we got after the fact) rode right into a micro burst or outer edge of an almost tornado..it didn't look that bad though. Winds from left to right blowing branches and garbage cans across road. There was no shelter to stop so we kept riding. Several times the back end of my bike was blown and sliding towards the shoulder, the guy behind me hit the shoulder 2-3 times. I do believe we were riding slightly sideways it was so bad. Got to our meet point and it was sunny, go figure.
Also had some nasty cross winds coming and going to Sturgis last year on I90 in South Dakota.
The Sabre taught me to remind myself even more so torelax my grip and look down the road not in front of me.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I was travelling north one spring on highway 22 from Crowsnest Pass to Calgary Alberta when we hit a severe west wind. The first gust blew me to the shoulder while riding a 1994 Honda Goldwing weighing in at 1000 pounds without me on it. A friend with his wife on board a Suzuki Cavalcade was staggered behind me next to the shoulder. When the second wind gust hit it blew him right off the road into the ditch. A small car stopped to offer assistance and when the girl exited the driver's side the wind picked her up and blew her into the ditch screaming. I had been riding for almost 30 years when that happened and I gained a whole new respect for the wind.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
bubba said:
It's tuff. The more tense you get the tougher it is. Two options in that condition.
If you are at all uncomfortable and fighting it, get off the freeway and take back roads. Always ride in YOUR comfort zone.
Second is, relax. Less grip and if needed angle the bike into the wind, let the wind blow you around.
I have used both, and even got back on the freeway after I settled down.
+1 Definetely relax, the bike knows what it is doing even if you are unsure...

·
Registered
2,718 Posts

VEGAS8B said:
The record for gusty wind speed on the planet is 253 mph. Imagine that hitting you.....
Just last week or weekend I heard a weather guy on a local Chicago station saying that there was a "jet stream" up where the planes fly that was 200+mph. Talk about a tail/head wind.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I was riding one night heading towards home, it was a little windy out, but not that bad until I got into an opening in the trees. The gust pushed me over about 6 feet into the oncoming lane. I almost crapped my pants, as I had never experienced that before. I did tense up for a bit, but slowed down and as I relaxed, along with expecting gusts at every opening in the trees I got more comfortable and was back up to speed within a short time. This helped me out for the ride from Crownest pass to Calgary as it was pretty bad there.

·
Registered
807 Posts
While living in Bermuda, I had only a scooter for transportation since I was an expatriate. I chose a Piaggio Beverly as the largest "bike" available at around 350 pounds. Still, in gale force winds it got pretty sporty- especially when the roads are generally undersized and blind curves are the norm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.