Rider Down | Page 2 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Rider Down

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by RLSVic, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Victory Boardwalk
    Sorry for your loss. To @Bikesofbrads, yeah lost one of my best friends as well the same way and a shock. Toughest Guy I knew, but was an absolute gentleman when we were together...

2. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Active Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    So for your loss to you both.

3. Blackened

Blackened Well-Known Member

2013 Vegas 8-ball
    Sad to hear about this too. Man, it's a fear I live with every day. Either I or someone I know will go down. It's also why I tend to avoid riding in groups. Particularly ones I am unfamiliar with. Riding with the VOG guys was a leap of faith for me. I was not disappointed at the level of skill or the quality of the riders.

We recently got the missus a Scout Bobber. I was so excited she was on a modern bike (FI, ABS, front and rear discs) but after we got it all I kept thinking was if something happened to her I would hold myself accountable for the accident. I'm riding up to NY this weekend and she was the one who told me I should get a bike so I'm sure she feels the same.

Please be careful out there guys.

4. Known1

Known1 Well-Known Member

2013 Cross Country Tour
    My condolences for your losses. May the memories of your friends live on forever in the hearts and minds of those who knew them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    A good friend of mine suffered a catastrophic rear tire failure slowing to 50 mph on the interstate to Boise 3 years ago. Went into a death wobble. He decided to take his helmet off because it was warm enough to ride without. He suffered a tragic head injury. The MD removed a portion of the left front lobe of his brain where it was bleeding. He survived but is being fed with a tube into his stomach and is totally lost otherwise. Please, just wear the damn thing.

6. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    From someone that Med-Evac a few motorcyclists in my time, they were the ones wearing helmets...

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. 1stVictory

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    So not wearing a helmet is safer than wearing one? Give your head a shake. But go ahead and ride without. The law and common sense for some reason just don't seem to meet up. Explain what injuries happened to those you dealt with who wore helmets. And be... TRUTHFUL.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    We was saying that those without a helmet didn't get a chopper ride because they were DRT, Dead Right There. The ones with a helmet gave themselves a chance and were worth transporting.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. 1stVictory

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    That’s why I asked for an explanation from him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. wvrider1

wvrider1 Well-Known Member

Goldmist/Black 14 XCT
    ATGATT. Was my motto before my bear incident, and that only reinforced it.

M.G.R.Y.S.
    May.God.Rest.Your.Soul.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    Well let see the normal broke legs and arms and the occasional back-board transport. Ya know there was a couple of Quad crashes that didn’t wear helmets and I was always concerned about concussions as they would go ape-$hit ten minutes into the flight...

There was a 12 YOA victim that threw-up as they were loading her and I knew that was an indicator of head trauma and I expressed concern to the Crew. That said they wanted to chance it as the Family was present and they didn’t want to induce paralysis and take her airway and she was secured to the backboard (no helmet). I said okay, as I have predicted this successfully for years based on experience of head trauma. Upon reaching cruise altitude, the patient went nuts ripping out all the IVs and managed to extricate herself from the Back-board and was kicking me in the head (I was wearing a helmet).

The young nurse lost her $hit when she was bit and was worthless at that point and I and the medic discussed options as my fear was she would attempt to open the passenger door, up near me. The Medic managed to overpower her and actually drilled into her shoulder (yeah cordless drill with needle) to establish an IV and put her out and induced paralysis as I flew to the closest field to get her in-abated once I landed...

Oh your question as to whether a helmet helps or not:

https://one.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/pedbimot/NoMigrate/Mcfol2.pdf

Oh I have personally seen (friends) and my first crash at 15 yoa seen chunks of helmets missing, thinking that would have been skull. But what does physics have to do with it, eh.

Sorry my wit was misinterpreted as consent. Yeah, all the gear all the time...
    However, if you choose not to wear one and that is your right, don’t forget your mask:flu1:.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1