VOG Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again,
I recently posted a post with heading Rider Down
This is an update.. First though thanks for the support of all those taking the time to wish my girl friend and I good health and suggestions on the bikes sudden loss of steering. A recap on what happened is while riding at 55mph on new pavement with perfect weather an audible noise was heard by both me and my passenger. The noise came from behind me so rear of the bike. Immediately after a shaking in the front forks caused loss of steering and pull to the right. I was able to keep the bike upright until leaving the road. My girl friend has multiple fractures but is slowly healing. I'm still looking for suggestions as to what caused the noise and sudden loss of steering. I've asked firmly for the insurance company to have an engineer investigate but as to date its not been done. Can anyone help with a suggestion or had a similar experience. As noted before the front shocks had little resistance when used down on with front held on. That may have contributed to the front shaking but not the noise that caused them to.
Hopefully someone can give me further input so when the tear down and inspection is done I can suggest what to look for.
Take care all

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
Glad everyone Is doing good. My question would be where there any skidmarks leading you to believe the rear tire locked up?

It’s hard to know what the noise was, metallic, clunking, what did it sound like to you?

Loss of shock pressure is strange, Have you seen the bike after the accident pictures might help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for getting back
My girlfriend said she heard the tire tire sceachon the pavement twice. I didn't hit the back brake hard after the noise maybe feathered it. I was focused on st as I thought the front tire had blown. I thought the tire Blew because I was getting a new installed 2 days later. Tread was still fine on front tire I just like being. After thinking back and hearing her mention the noise I did as well. I've been to the dealer where it is now but there's no noticeable cause. The mechanic took it for a short ride and said everything felt ok. I had a jackpot prior to this bike and the rear wheel bearing would lock the bike up. Fortunately it happened all 3 times at low speed. The mechanics thought I was nuts because when they'd take it out it was fine. I'm thinking the bearing hadn't heated up. They finally found the problem

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi
Thanks for getting back. The dealer hasnt tore anything down yet. We're waiting for the insurance approval. When you say it's the end of the story when a bearing locks up.. what do you mean. I'm not close to being a mechanic which is why I have the bike serviced. I did have my prior bike a Jackpot lock up a few times but at low speed. Kept taking it back explaining a hum and it locking up.. They'd take it for a test ride find nothing. Finally they replaced a bearing and it was fine after that. Does pulling in the clutch not disengage the gears. Any suggestion would be helpful as I'd like a list for the mechanic to check.
Thanks for getting back

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
Hi
Thanks for getting back. The dealer hasnt tore anything down yet. We're waiting for the insurance approval. When you say it's the end of the story when a bearing locks up.. what do you mean. I'm not close to being a mechanic which is why I have the bike serviced. I did have my prior bike a Jackpot lock up a few times but at low speed. Kept taking it back explaining a hum and it locking up.. They'd take it for a test ride find nothing. Finally they replaced a bearing and it was fine after that. Does pulling in the clutch not disengage the gears. Any suggestion would be helpful as I'd like a list for the mechanic to check.
Thanks for getting back
My experience with bearings as they start to make a noise, they have reached the end of their life ...When they freeze up or lock up they start damaging the outer race and it will cause Your wheel to lock up , Or it will start spitting out the small bearings and then begin to wobble and making a whole lot more noise.

·
Registered
474 Posts
If the rear wheel locks up because of a wheel bearing, then pulling in the clutch will do nothing...the wheel would stay locked. I suspect you hit something on the road, and ended up having steering head wobble due to the impact. Have them check the steering head for looseness and excessive play. Look for rim damage.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
What's done is done, when I wrecked my car I wanted to know why, I know the events that lead up to it, just wasn't sure why I couldn't regain control... Costed time, and money, brand new wheel bearing was split in half, exhaust was ripped from cat back, front driver tire was flat, and still didn't know what caused me to not regain control....

It will just drive you crazy looking for an answer, what your looking for is the answer to "did I **** up".... if you did, you did, if you didn't you didn't... Your both alive be happy, and get on with living...

I know it's harsh, but I'll tell you right now.... Between state inspection, and your inspection, if something felt off, it was time to get off the bike and get it fixed..
If it vibrated more one day than it did before, find out why.
If the bars are harder to turn get it checked.
If it felt sluggish, get it checked...
Hear a whine, grinding, or howl, find out...

It's entirely possible that that you hit an animal in the road, maybe a tar snake(if you get those by you) was wet and your bike reacted badely to it.

Kingpin 3 years ago, I got a click when I hit the brakes hard... Steering head bearing... I checked, everything seemed fine.. wife on back pull into a parking lot, big tar snakes everywhere, bout pulled the bars outta my hands, replaced bearing, had a slight fracture in the race.

Within the last month, replaced both sets of wheel bearings on the vision because of a sound I didn't quite like... Of course after beating them out couldn't really test much, but they were dry and did get hot from the looks of the grease someone put on them for some reason....

There's maintenance to be done, some people will tell you they don't do that till 60k miles, it would really suck to lose someone you care about or your life for a 20 buck part.... Of course to get certain things done, can be upwards of $300... I figure that's 3 nights out...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks sgain for giving me advice. I'm taking all the posts with me to the mechanic once the tear down begins. I'm asking the shop to alloe me to be there when the mechanic who I trust, examines all the ides I got from the members of VOG. Plus explain each reason till we're both on the same page.
I know the serious shake in the handlebars was caused by something mechanical.I'm in need of the answer because I put myself on the line insisting the insurance find out for my girl friend you the VOG members and now me for knowing I'm right. I'm just so full of anxiety hoping the mechanic proves me right I'll feel so much better when this is resolved. I hope my confidence rides with me on my bike that fits me and suits me like no other.. Anyone who has had a similar thing happen to them or an explanation as to why this happened to me please rush your stories soon as I'm expecting the tear down to start next. Wk..
Sincerely Capreol Biker

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What's done is done, when I wrecked my car I wanted to know why, I know the events that lead up to it, just wasn't sure why I couldn't regain control... Costed time, and money, brand new wheel bearing was split in half, exhaust was ripped from cat back, front driver tire was flat, and still didn't know what caused me to not regain control....

It will just drive you crazy looking for an answer, what your looking for is the answer to "did I **** up".... if you did, you did, if you didn't you didn't... Your both alive be happy, and get on with living...

I know it's harsh, but I'll tell you right now.... Between state inspection, and your inspection, if something felt off, it was time to get off the bike and get it fixed..
If it vibrated more one day than it did before, find out why.
If the bars are harder to turn get it checked.
If it felt sluggish, get it checked...
Hear a whine, grinding, or howl, find out...

It's entirely possible that that you hit an animal in the road, maybe a tar snake(if you get those by you) was wet and your bike reacted badely to it.

Kingpin 3 years ago, I got a click when I hit the brakes hard... Steering head bearing... I checked, everything seemed fine.. wife on back pull into a parking lot, big tar snakes everywhere, bout pulled the bars outta my hands, replaced bearing, had a slight fracture in the race.

Within the last month, replaced both sets of wheel bearings on the vision because of a sound I didn't quite like... Of course after beating them out couldn't really test much, but they were dry and did get hot from the looks of the grease someone put on them for some reason....

There's maintenance to be done, some people will tell you they don't do that till 60k miles, it would really suck to lose someone you care about or your life for a 20 buck part.... Of course to get certain things done, can be upwards of $300... I figure that's 3 nights out...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hear what you're saying and although I'm sure it was mechanical we were driving in God's back wilderness country where animals are hit frequently. If I did hit an animal I didn't see it. Going at that speed and focusing on the road scenery and beautiful day its not likely but I did get a VOG reply from a member who was riding with brother and suddenly lost controle. His brother who was behind saw him hit something but he didn't. He crashed but softly. Both of them went back to see what it was but couldn't find it. The VOG member said it wasn't the answer I was looking for but wanted to pass it on. Which I thanked him for
I can't tell you how proud I am of the VOG Members who have supported me in every way. Thanks to you all.

·
Registered
441 Posts
So they rode the bike around after the crash and say it seems OK? Its gonna be very hard and expensive to attempt to place the liability of this accident on the Bike's Manufacturer. I can only hope for you that you and the GF are Real close cause I can imagine the medical costs for her are pretty substantial. This would be a big cause for anxiety in anyone, best of luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,
Yes I imagine it would be expensive. Thank the heavens I'm not wanting or thinking of doing that. I'm just trying to find out why my bikes steering went into a shake "like it had a front flat tire at 55mph after hearing a noise behind me. Just want ides so I'm sure my mechanic has checked everything. My insurance company Allstate has been excellent in supporting my request to find the problem. The tear down is being done this Thursday. So far nobody can explain it. I've had suggestions from Fellow and Female VOG members to put forth. I've nothing to gain but anxiety requesting the answer. My goal is havin g an answer for my passenger and any other bikers like you. I hear what you're saying about the legal stuff but that's the furthest thing from my mind right now.. Thanks man

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So they rode the bike around after the crash and say it seems OK? Its gonna be very hard and expensive to attempt to place the liability of this accident on the Bike's Manufacturer. I can only hope for you that you and the GF are Real close cause I can imagine the medical costs for her are pretty substantial. This would be a big cause for anxiety in anyone, best of luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey again
Forgot to mention. The bike was removed from the ditch by a towing company. It got back to the dealer survive shop 2 days later. It was visually inspected and was taken for a short ride a few days later to see if anything was obvious.. which there wasn't.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For those following my thread and hopefully those new to it here's an update.
Allstate my insurance Com. has come through in flying colours for me and are allowing the tear down of my Victory gunner. It's happening this Thursday. They have looked and serviced the front shocks already and all was good just like 99%of people involved thought. At this point its me against the world or so it seems that something will be found. All I know is something happened for the bikes steering to shake like it did after hearing a noise best described as a clunk or dull bang. Immediate concentration was on controlling the bikes steering after that. Any advice either BAD but Hopefully Good is needed
Thanks everyone. You've been my rock. Im proud being a biker because of people like you..

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Here is my thought but it might upset you.
I think you hit something in the road.

I posted on your original post how just a few weeks ago I hit some construction material from a roofing job.
I assume it was a roof job because it was hidden by tar paper tacked to old rotten boards.
I'm not upset that I hit it as much as I am that I didn't see it!

I'm a very alert rider, bikes are my only mode of transportation & have been for around 8 or 10 years.
Started riding in the 50's on dirt, late 60's on the street.

I have ridden many bikes that were real pieces of sheet, junk front ends & rear shocks, bald tires etc including hard tails with springer's.
I've laid crap bikes over in corners & had handlebar tank slappers that made the bike swim like a fish.

We learn from mistakes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes I remember your post well and I thank you for it just as I do this one. In my earlier years I've road pieces of metal with an engine and bald tires just like you explained. I and lots like me are most likely some of the reasons mechanical safety certificates are needed now. Check out any video on utube with the bikes running in the Dominican Republic you'll shake your head.. I've been riding since I was 14 and only experienced one serious mechanical failure before this and that was my Jackpot when the rear wheel bearing seized. I agree with you on taking pride in seeing everything that's going on about you including road condition. I even rub my boot soles back and forth on the Rd at a stop sign or light just to feel the road condition. Habit I got into.. I'll be there watching the inspection with Al the mechanic I've had since day 1 with my Victory bikes. Great guy great mechanic. I'll have my list of suggestions from the VOG riders who replied so together we'll check out each one. I know something happened but if nothing's found I'll have to agree with you. My passenger recently added she heard the back tire quickly screach twice. I didn't hear it but 100% sure I'd never hit a rear brake that hard which again makes me think back to the rear bearing in my Jack Pot. Other VOG members got back to me saying stuff like it happened let it go and stop beating yourself up trying to figure it out. It happened you did your best and be happy you both lived. A story of having the same experience in a "car" and never finding out the answer. I'm feeling like **** so advice and stories good or bad are something.
Again thanks man very much..

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
My first Vic was a Gunner & the first thing I learned was that the brakes were poor compared to Italian bikes with Brembo brakes.
Locked the rear tire on the Gunner twice, once in the parking lot then again at a stop sign.
I always said the front brakes were "wooden" & the rear locked up too easy.
I got used to it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.