Review of my 03 Vegas after the first year | Page 2 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Review of my 03 Vegas after the first year

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by stude, Jun 29, 2017.

1. stude

stude Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2003 Vegas
    Nice bike Litre1000. I like the color, it stands out in the sea of black bikes. The silver frame gives it a different look too. My HD Street Rod had a silver frame.
    I noticed that you are using the oem seat, you are tougher than I... My oem seat is occupying a Mustang box.

2. PAF

PAF Active Member

2015 Vegas 8 Ball
    Good looking bike! Enjoy.

3. Litre1000

Litre1000 Active Member

Vision Tour Prem & Vegas
    I have always hesitated to alter that bike in any way. I just love the way it came. It does have a Stage 1 kit since new, though. My favorite Victory bike...the Vision being my 2nd favorite.

4. stude

stude Member

2003 Vegas
    I am going to update my Vegas review after a few more years and about 22,000 miles later.
    I still think the Vic Vegas is one of the best looking production cruisers on the street, and I rarely see a Victory, much less a Vegas. I have since added a 1997 Triumph Thunderbird 900 and a 2013 HD 1200 Sportster to the stable. As much as I love the looks of the Triumph and have a blast riding it, my Vic is my go to bike if riding further than 30-40 miles. I like stretching out on it, sitting back and cruising twisties for hours at a time. 200 miles on a tank is a huge plus, too. The Sportster does well with mileage, but is not that comfortable even with a Mustang seat. The Triumph is not very comfy even with a Corbin seat, and the mileage sucks at about 37 mpg.
    With like 43k miles on my Vic, I have replaced the clutch cable, intake boot, and voltage regulator. The voltage regulator was from driving off a curb right onto the regulator, so I can't blame the bike for that one. Change the oil and tires and keep riding. I like minimal maintenance, which is why I bought my 3rd Sportster. The Triumph requires periodic valve maintenance (shim type) which is a PITA. Before buying the Sporty, I was looking at a couple VRods, but the valve maintenance on those is a really horrible PITA, so I decided against it. I run Rotella T6 in my Vic, and generally change the oil once annually. I run the drive belt loose, as it tightens up when warmed up, to reduce squeaking.
    The Vic will eat both the 1200 Sporty and the Triumph for lunch in a drag race. But is does have a big cc advantage. Surprisingly, the 900 Triumph will keep up with the 1200 Sporty.
    Even after riding the Vic for a few years, I still find it wobbly at low speeds. I can stop and go at lights without putting my feet down with the Triumph and Sporty, but no way with the Vic. But I can also let go of the bars on both and stay going straight , which I can't do on the Vic as noted in my earlier posts.
    At the end of the day, my Vegas is still a keeper. Comfort, style, good fuel mileage, and low maintenance works well for me.

I am going to add some tire info in my review...
    I bought the bike used, and it had Dunlop tires on it. They handled fine and I put about 14k miles on it before changing the tires.
    I tried a set of Shinko 777 tires on my Vic. They handled very well, and I had no issues but the rear only lasted 7,000 miles. The front still has tread, but I may replace it this winter when I change the rear. My next set will be Bridgestones. Keep in mind I don't abuse my bike, but sometimes accelerate quickly from a stoplight.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    @stude next tire change go with a 90 90 21 instead of the MH 90 21. Just a little wider, may help with your stability issue. The later bikes came with the 90 90 21...

I have no problem doing stop n goes on my Vegas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. normthenomad

normthenomad Well-Known Member

2012 Crossroads LE, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    Really appreciate the update, especially after the years since the first post.