Review of my 03 Vegas after the first year | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Review of my 03 Vegas after the first year

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by stude, Jun 29, 2017.

1. stude

stude Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2003 Vegas
    So I have owned my first Vic, an 03 Vegas for a year... here is my take on the bike:
    Overall, I really like it. Because I tend to gravitate away from the mainstream, I like having a bike that is uncommon. I also like the fact that it is the first year of the Vegas, and that is now an instant classic with Polaris having shuttered Victory.
    -First, the style of this bike is my favorite of all makes and models. I like the flow of the bike, the long tank, the tire buried up into a perfect front fender, the style of the rear fender with integrated tail light. I like the handlebars. I was not a spoke wheel person, but I think I am changing my opinion on that, it's a classic look that never grows old. I love the metallic red color. I have actually gotten positive comments about the color, maybe because 90% of cruisers are black? Who knows?
    -Not being at the point in life that I am ready to graduate to a full fledge bagger, the Vegas makes a decent short distance touring bike for two up riding. Even with a passenger, rarely does the suspension bottom out, and it rides fairly well in general. It also handles quite well, not as well my HD Street Rod did, but my Vegas is a heck of alot more comfy.
    -Power... Coming from a bike with a 9k redline and 120hp on tap, the Vegas took a little to get used to, but is plenty sufficient. No complaints in that department.
    -I like a good clunky transmission, so this fits the bill. Lol. Brakes are ok, but nothing like the dual front/ single rear Brembos on the Street Rod. Once you have good brakes, it's a little tough going back to mediocrity.
    -50 mpg from a bike with a 92 ci engine is pretty impressive. I used to have Jap bikes in the 700-750 cc range that only got mid 40s for mileage.

Now to the complaints:

-The seat... well, the OEM seat sucked. Ten minutes and I was twitching around. Passengers were none too happy either. A Mustang wide touring seat cured that problem.
    -Materials and finish are okay, but not up to par with HD in my opinion. That includes the chrome finish and plastic side covers. The engine cylinders are very plain looking on the right side. Throw a set of HD cylinders, heads and pushrods on the Vic crankcase... I would probably like my engine better if it were black instead of silver.
    -Pulls to the right with hands removed from the bars, which a search on VOG turns up muffler weight is the problem? Doesn't sound right to me, but maybe.
    -Mechanical failures... Broken clutch cable... um, that kinda pissed me off when it broke. I also had to replace the rubber throttle body adapter. It is 14 years old, so I can live with it.
    -Parts and accessory prices... This is the price you pay when you have non-mainstream rides like Victory and Studebaker. Everything comes at a premium.

My Vegas is a keeper. I would recommend a Victory bike to anyone asking.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 3dee

3dee Active Member

Victory Octane
    Give us some pics of this beauty...

3. jedi-mcfly

jedi-mcfly Well-Known Member

2005 kingpin
    ...I would venture to say if you are getting 50+ mpg on the bike it is running lean IMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. slej

slej Well-Known Member

'17 Magnum, 03 Vegas, 09 Jackpot, 2016 Slingshot
    Funny thing...I have an 03 Vegas and I've had exactly two parts break....one clutch cable, and the rubber throttle body boot!

5. slej

slej Well-Known Member

'17 Magnum, 03 Vegas, 09 Jackpot, 2016 Slingshot
    Got her a new paint job too.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. stude

stude Member

2003 Vegas
    Nice Bike Slej.

About the only pic I have on my 'puter at the moment...
    upload_2017-7-2_7-37-5.png

Something I didn't mention in my initial post was that I find the Vegas to be quite light feeling and kind of "tippy" at slow speeds. My Street Rod sat high with a 31" seat height due to having lots of suspension travel. That made it top heavy, but was very stable and very easy to balance at slow speeds. When I first got the Vegas, I was flopping all over trying to keep it balanced when going slow. Much better now that added several thousand miles to the od, but I think I actually liked the heavy stable feeling better.

7. 3dee

3dee Active Member

Victory Octane
    That's interesting...usually people like a light feeling bike. You definitely are different lol. Prefer quiet and top heavy bike.

8. stude

stude Member

2003 Vegas
    Lol. You might be right. I have old cars too. No Mustang or Camaro here. A 1953 Studebaker pickup and 1970 Ford Galaxie, not exactly stuff you see on every street corner. Now I have a bike from a defunct company. I loved my HD Street Rod, shunned by the greater HD community. Yes, I think there might be a pattern here...

I am going to check my wheel alignment and see if that is the problem. I have owned a good many bikes over the years and don't remember any of them being as twitchy at slow speeds as the Vegas. The fact that it veers off to the right when you let go of the bars has me wondering also.

9. jedi-mcfly

jedi-mcfly Well-Known Member

2005 kingpin
    ...Vics are do not like to putt putt around at low speed like HD, they like to rev and go -> -> -> as for the wander to the right; it is the heavy stacked exhaust on that side - mine had that symptom and after I changed to true duals it tracks straight as an arrow

10. Litre1000

Litre1000 Active Member

Vision Tour Prem & Vegas
    IMG_1607.JPG I've had my 03 Vegas since it was new. No broken cables or throttle body boots. Had to replace the vehicle speed sensor twice, though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 3dee

3dee Active Member

Victory Octane
    Wow just a speed sensor in all those years?? Not bad at all.

12. stude

stude Member

2003 Vegas
    Since it was raining Saturday, I changed my oil. While I was at it, I adjusted the rear wheel/belt alignment. Now it only pulls a little to the right. Before it would shoot hard right and send you offroading in a corn field when you let go of the bars. I suppose I can live with it. I noticed that the engine cylinders are also set to the right instead of being centered. I can't say that I have ever seen a V-twin bike with the cylinders off center in the frame.

I pulled a spark plug and it is brown, so it isn't running lean. That's running the stock mufflers. As I recall, when I changed the spark plugs last year with the stage 1 mufflers, they were relatively clean, undoubtedly running lean.
    I have to say, I like running 200 miles between fill ups.

13. sdranger

sdranger Active Member

Victory Vegas
    My 03 I've had since new also, replaced clutch cable and starter for parts is all. Excellent choice of motorcycle. By the way did you know in 03 you could get a silver motor with black frame or a black motor with silver frame or silver on silver and black on black? Your bike like mine is silver on black it was a $150 option. But I will say the sonic blue color was the fastest... after all it is sonic.

14. stude

stude Member

2003 Vegas
    I had no idea on the engine/frame color options, but that is interesting information. Its always nice to have details to share like this for my "classics". Thanks.
    I doubt I will ever see a 2003 sonic blue Vegas in person, but if I do, I will refrain from racing it, since I already know it is faster. Lol

15. Litre1000

Litre1000 Active Member

Vision Tour Prem & Vegas
    IMG_1607.JPG The sonic blue with silver engines AND frames are REALLY fast...add spokes, and watch out!

• Funny Funny x 1