Reverse motor kit | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Reverse motor kit

Discussion in 'Victory Vision' started by DIANJOR1, May 15, 2012.

1. DIANJOR1

DIANJOR1 Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2005 Yamaha R1, 2009 Vision Tour Premium
    Thinking about getting one install. Any pros and cons? How does it work? Like and dislike.. Thanks- Anthony

2. bubba

bubba Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin
    Sorry, have never heard much about it.

3. dsjr

dsjr New Member

08 Vegas Low - Yamaha RD-350 - 2012 Victory High Ball
    I know a few people with it and none of them are to happy with the ease of use

4. Andy

Andy Administrator Staff Member Moderator

1957 Flxible Starliner Bus and a 2014 Marathon Prevost Motorcoach
    If memory serves me correctly, the 2008 Vision did not have a reverse option. However, in 2009 there was an alteration to the Vision transmission that allowed for the addition of a reverse gear accessory. The 2009 Anniversary Vision was the only model that I remember including the reverse gear as standard. Also, it was quite expensive and nobody that I heard from really bragged about how great it was. If I remember correctly, it was slow and didn't seem to have much torque to pull the bike backwards up slanted slopes. It worked, but barely. In 2008 many Vision owners were hoping for that option, but these days, there's barely a post about it.

5. vbbuilt

vbbuilt Member

Not to contradict anyone, but it DOES come in handy on occasion and works well. It's useful if you find yourself in a situation where leg power loan cannot move the machine, i.e. parked on gravel and have to scoot backwards or parked on a slight slope facing downhill and have to backup. It's ALWAYS easier and more prudent to take time to scope out the situation before parking, so you don't have to use the backup option. But then, I still make a misculation periodically when parking :blushing: Keep in mind that backing up is SLOW! It creeps - I can crawl on my hands and knees faster than that. BUT I'm thankful I have it. It's gotten me out of a couple rough spots. Vince.

6. jandjp

jandjp Well-Known Member

Vision
    That is what my wife is for. I make her get off and push.:10900:

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. vision_nut

vision_nut Moderator Staff Member Moderator

vision 08
    Stop plan a head for your parking. Walking twenty feet doesn't hurt one bit. Take the money and buy cams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. phoenix9

phoenix9 Well-Known Member

2012 Cross Roads Classic Limited Edition #001
    I put myself in a position where I could not back up one time (downslope, on gravel), and I was surprised I could not move the bike without help. The main culprit was the gravel. NEVER park these beasts on gravel facing downhill unless you can pull straight forward. That day a reverse would have been nice. Since that one time I simply do as others have suggested and make sure I'm on level or up-facing grade. Even if it was available on the '08 Vision, I doubt I would be interested now that I know where/how I can and cannot park. Just me 2 cents...

9. poppop

poppop New Member

77yamaha750,96 virago750,97 kawasaki vulcan1500classic, 99 royal star venture, 05 goldwing 09 vision
    Been there done that! i did it with my royal star on dirt. Not a good combo from then on if i have to park down hill i will back that dog in. the vision has plenty of power going forward up hill much better then my 5'9 260 .05 horse power.

10. DIANJOR1

DIANJOR1 Member

I told mine that whatshe may have to do if we ever get stuck :laugh:

11. DIANJOR1

DIANJOR1 Member

I always scope out before I park. One time I couldn't get out of the stall and it wasn't that steep. Luckily I was able to go through as soon the car moved. This was the first time I ever rode the Vision. Now I'm smarter. I thought the reverse would be useful when I need the extra push. I'm only 5' 7" , 30" inseam. With my sport bike I can just swing it around on the kickstand but this behemoth can't be budged. I guess I will see if it will be necessary to get one later.

12. aussiejack

aussiejack Active Member

Victory Vision Tour Premium
    Now comes standard on 2012 visions. I paid a lot more for reverse in Australia than it costs in the states to have reverse fitted to my 2010 vision. I got as many extras that i wanted and could afford when I ordered my bike. I had two years to think of what I wanted before I had enough money to buy. As I had been caught out a couple of times by loose gravel, deceptively small slopes and some limited parking options at times on previous bikes, reverse was one option I got. I have used it on level ground where little pebbles act like ball bearings, where lots of other bikes can not park because they have not got reverse and backing into my shed which has a small drain depression followed by an upslope. I also have hip and knee problems which will not be improving. I could have done without reverse but I am glad I got it. I would agree with Andy when he says it is slow and does not have much torque. Try it out if you get a chance to test a 2012. To operate: motor running, in neutral, flick over the reverse switch below your left hip (rock the bike back and forward slightly if the reverse gears don't immediately mesh) and press the starter button.

13. poppop

poppop New Member

77yamaha750,96 virago750,97 kawasaki vulcan1500classic, 99 royal star venture, 05 goldwing 09 vision
    So then this revers is basically the same as the gold wing that runs off the starter motor itself. I was not real impressed with the revers on my wing it seemed to slip alot. or at least felt like it to me. I have a very slight incline from the shed so that when i back the bike out i have to roll it up ever so slightly but it is pretty tough with the vision. with the wing in revers it didin't really feel like it would make it up. I only have to get a bike length to be able to clear enough to turn it around but on wet ground it is slick. I have been keeping the bike under the carport just because it is much easier to get in and out.

14. h7wae14t

h7wae14t Well-Known Member

2009 Kingpin
    I say Why? just something to go wrong....and it's only used 0.0005 % of the time. Go get some chrome instead!

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. okie_vision

okie_vision Member

Vision Tour
    Standard Jack? I remember it's about a $1,500 option here in the states. I can't imagine them being standard unless due to no one purchasing them they're getting rid of a stockpile of reverse motors. I can't find anywhere on the Victory site for new Visions showing reverse as being standard. How'd you come across the info?