Returning from Sturgis | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Returning from Sturgis

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by poptop, Aug 11, 2010.

1. poptop

poptop Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    09 Black Kingpin Prem rpw Thor 2 into 1. cams and ajustable timing wheel S+S intake and flash
    Just on our way home from the tralier and moter home rally in Sturgis . There were some nice bikes on the traliers and lots at the bars.
    As it was my first trip to the place I,m not sure what I expected but well now I know .
    There are some great short day trips to take advantage of and we saw some great country .

2. Man314

Man314 Member

How many Vics did you see?

3. phoenix9

phoenix9 Well-Known Member

2012 Cross Roads Classic Limited Edition #001
    Love it. From what I am hearing the police are out everywhere and cracking down hard on riders (whether it be for speeding, reckless driving, or drunk driving). Not exactly the place I would choose to pull my bike up to a bar.

4. poptop

poptop Well-Known Member

09 Black Kingpin Prem rpw Thor 2 into 1. cams and ajustable timing wheel S+S intake and flash
    Well we got a room here in the super 8 just an hr from the Alta border at Conrad MT.
    Heard there were huge lineups to get across as a con had escaped from a pen near Florence AZ and was headed this way . (probaly in Florida by now)
    In any case we saw a few Vics but they were totaly unnoticable in the sea of HDs TOTALLY.Vic Had a test and ride station there with a trickle of folks sliding in but compared to the HD area it was an wash!. Yamaha had there both right there as well as the Can Am Or Bombardier Spider. Many other builders such as Big Dog and Boss Hoss , Maverick and Lehman were also . Many others.
    Saw tons of arrests going on as the police were everywhere tow trucks had free passes and were as busy as a one handed paper hanger with the crabs!!!.In whitewood on our second night I watched for half an hr till the cops slipped further away , then ran up some smoke just to spite them. I quickly left the area and parked .
    Yes that place is not for me I did enjoy seeing it but now I can say been there done that and just ride around it.
    I would most certanly return to the area for the road trips as there are some great ones !Sorry no pics as I'm as good at computors as I am at spelling. Thats says it all.
    Talk agian soon .
    Poptop

5. Jake

Jake New Member

First time out there, we had a blast. Saw several visions including a 10th Anniversay cooking it's way throuth Sturgis proper. Myice blue vision was better than a cute dog. Lot's of HD girls taking pics of theVic!
    We avoided any drink for 4 hours or altogetherbefore going near our bikes. There were cops around that's for sure.
    We even enjoyed kid Rock although he played the drunk Buffalo Chipcrowd likeCharlie Daniels plays afiddle.
    Tenminutes out from the hotel in Keystone Thursday morning,on our way home, a Suburban crossed 16 in front of a rider on a white HD. The rider, Big Joe, dumped the bike at speed and became sperated. He tumbled badly, with no hat on.We pulled into the crossing and went over to himin seconds. He was unconsious, his tounge was already swollen so bad he couldn't breath. Forthunately a doctor pulled in behind us and she was good. We got a tounge depresser in and he started breathing again. He would have been dead in just a few more seconds. He did not have an ICE number (In Case of Emergency)in his cell phone, by pure luck I called his buddy that had traveled with him to Sturgis. They were able to make it to the hospital a few minutes after Joe arrived.
    We rode on back to OHIOvery shook up to say the least. I have owned one white bike, I will never own another. Seems like I was invisible on that thing. Joe's bike slid and never hit the SUV, had he stayed with it he probably would have walked away. It's one of those timing things where Joe was closeto the SUV and maybe not paying attention until it was too late, then he panicked.
    We called the Rapid city police today to see if big Joe had made it. They directed us to a lady friend of his who thanked us and filled us in on Joe. Seven broken ribs, collapsed lung, fractured skull, two broken vertibre, fractured pelvis, ect. His survival is still in doubt but they think he will make it.
    Be safe out there.

6. stilcrazee

stilcrazee Well-Known Member

'12 Black XR

A late additional comment to this thread.
    I trailered and stayed just outside Hill City. This was my second year out there. Last year I rode out with a buddy.
    Tons of nice scenery and riding out there.
    No matter what, you have to be paying attention. There were groups of people trying ot see how fast they could go on almost any road out there with no regard for anyone but themselves.
    At least once an oncoming bike crossed the centerline and had the lead guy I was with not been payong attention there would have been 2 fatalities.
    The 3 other guys I was with are all of my same philosophy, if you are going to ride NO alcohol whatsoever, drink when you are parked for the night. I was appalled at how many people I saw everywhere chugging beers and then riding. Saw that at gas staions too, guys opening their trunlks on HDs pulling out a beer, pounding it down and 5 minutes later hitting the road.
    When I left for home Saturdy morning 8/14, local news stations reported 9 "rally related" fatalities. One of the nights we took the truck down into Deadwood and counted no less than 10 bikes stopped by police (that was both ways, to and from) between 8 and 10pm.
    One of the guys we had with last year got stopped for DUI. He claimed he wasn't and that the cops never asked for ID, registration and or proff on insurance. He refused to blow the box and had blood drawn. Fortunately for him his arraignment was the next morning, he plead guilty, was ordered to to an alcholol assesment back here in IL, send the results to them and if he had no stops in the next 6 months in South Dakota his record would be sealed..and he paid $1200. to walk out of the courthouse. His thought was it was all about the $$ for the towns. I am not sure after seeing all the people drinking and riding. Hard to say no with all the places advertising Ice Cold Beer for $2.00.
    Spearfish Canyon, Mt Rushmore, Deadwood, Custer, Keystone, Sturgis proper and Crazy Horse were stops this year. Also traveled Iron Mountain Highway and Needles Highway.
    I saw a ton of Vics this year as opposed to last year.

7. poptop

poptop Well-Known Member

Well said Crazy!
    We also travelled those same hyways and byways . Loved the country alot . Will plan another trip out there and will travel more of that beutiful state as well as surrounding states . Not during the Rally if thats what they call it . Way out of my zone way way way out of my zone.
    Now I love to have a beer and most certianly am not A SAINT but with all those bikes and **** all over it's little wonder people get snuffed. The old grimm reaper is standing guard looking for someone to have a laps in there attention span.
    I'll just slip away into the mountians and find a road with limited travel with a mom and pop little motel along the way drive till im ready pick up a six pac and sit down with momma and watch the world go by till tommorrow , maybe wipe a few bugs off the bike .
    Yap Sturgis is quite the place but it will have to servive with out me !Im sure it will!

8. stilcrazee

stilcrazee Well-Known Member

'12 Black XR

I have verbally comitted to go back. next year. I want to head West from there though. The guy I have gone with goes every year. He has the house reserved for next year already.
    [​IMG]

9. ddawg

ddawg New Member

2008 Kingpin, 2010 Street Glide
    Welcome to Sturgis!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Now go home!!!!!

[​IMG]

See ya next year!!!
    [​IMG]

Wasn't that fun!!!