Retiring in 4 months. | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Retiring in 4 months.

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by burbansk, Aug 20, 2021.

1. burbansk

burbansk Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 Victory Cross Country Tour, 2000 BMW 1150 GS, 2008 Honda TRX 700 XX
    Guys, I am retiring in 4 months from a very good job at Ford Motor Company where I am a Experimental - Prototype engine mechanic. I have seen and done many cool things and have been involved in the building of some very important engines for our company. It has been a dream job for a gear head like myself but I am going on 64 years old and as they say I am not getting any younger. As the clock tics closer to December 23rd I find myself being excited but also scared. The wife and I should be ok, we are very lucky that we each have a pension and of course Social Security LOL. Our retirement home in Northern Michigan is paid off along with our 2 six year old vehicles. No credit cards and of course the most important thing my XCT is all mine! Just wondering if others have felt this way or am I just being stupid. It just seems like ever since this Covid crap last year my outlook on life has changed and I want to start enjoying my life. Thanks for listening and also any suggestions you may have.

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 7
  2. 13SicVic

13SicVic Well-Known Member

2013 Victory Cross Country
    I retired a little sooner than expected. I had just had enough.
    That meant I wasn’t in as good of a position as I had planned for but it worked out. I had saved enough outside my retirement plan to pay off a few debts like my bike, small credit card balance and small amount owed on my car so it was doable.

Best decision I ever made besides marrying and starting my family.

Tomorrow isn’t promised so hit the ground running and don’t look back. Retirement has me living my best life.

Enjoy it. You earned it.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    Congratulations!

I have no 1st hand knowledge but I am looking forward to the day I retire. 30yrs at the same place currently working ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. ForestGiant

ForestGiant Well-Known Member

2014 Victory Cross Country, 97 Honda Valkyrie, 99 Honda Magna
    Good for you Burbansk and I hope you and the Mrs. have a great life ahead. My recommendations. Stay active with hobbies, exercise, projects, etc. Get a great snow blower, you will need it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blowndodge

Blowndodge Well-Known Member

2013 Victory XCT
    I retired a little over 2 years ago

what you’re feeling is normal. We are debt free. Have 4 retirement incomes and still have SS to look forward too. One needs to retire debt free to live without worry. No mortgage no debt. Still worry about money because I’m never going back to work.

I was 62 and my wife was 59 when we retired. Life has never been better. Just stay healthy and don’t be a couch potato.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Cooper

Cooper Member

I retired in May of this year, and had concerns with maintaining my lifestyle. I think that’s normal for everybody but crunch the numbers and being debt-free is very important. I have a pension with my job that pays my month-to-month bills. Starting this month I turn 60 and is eligible for our government pension. Like others have said keep busy. I took over more of the house work and I love working in the garage and around the yard. I plan to volunteer at the local community centre with the hockey ice this winter. As a kid I spent many hours at the community centres and I feel that kept me out of trouble. I hope you have a long and happy retirement.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. .John

.John New Member

Kingpin
    My father, who is now 75, retired 3 times. The first time, he was in his 50's and I think he realized it was a little too early. The second time, he was in his mid 60's. That time he retired without a plan and got really depressed. My mother was worried about him and talked him into going back to work as a consultant - which is what probably saved him. The last time he retired was on his 70th birthday . . . this time with a plan. It's been smooth sailing ever since.

The lesson here is to have a plan and not just fly blindly into the next and final chapter of life.

• Like Like x 3
  8. 13SicVic

13SicVic Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    The plan has to start in the beginning of the working career to be the most successful.

• Like Like x 2
  9. 53canuck

53canuck Well-Known Member

2011 KP
    Retired from a career 11 years ago and have been working just about the whole time at jobs I liked. Got bored, couldn't sit still and not well off enough to spend the time travelling. Pick up a hobby or a part time job to keep the juices flowing. You have the freedom to just do whatever the hell you want.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Pauljp

Pauljp Well-Known Member

2014 Cross County Tour
    I retired at 55 and am the only breadwinner in the family.
    I was a bit worried as the deadline approached, I knew the numbers but still it is a new lifestyle so there is bound to be a bit of anxiety.
    My first few days into retirement felt very strange. I was not at work and not on holidays so it felt like I was doing something wrong by being at home. I felt weird going outside because this wasn't normal for me. But that only lasted a few days till I got used to it.
    My biggest worry was being home 24/7 with the wife, especially locked in for the winter. I thought "one of us will not come out in the spring".
    Fortunately that all worked out as well. It's been 6 years now and I still love being retired. Do what you want when you want. But you have to keep busy. Not as busy as when you were working though, relax and enjoy the time, you earned it.
    Your feelings are normal.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. LEVON106

LEVON106 Well-Known Member

2006 Hammer and 2016 Magnum 74 Norton Commando
    Sounds like you've had a mentally stimulating career that many would envy. Keep busy and you'll stay sharp. The first time you find yourself relaxing with a piece of pie on your lap and The Price Is Right on the tube, Jump up and do something before it becomes a habit LOL. I'm told staying active is the secret and believe it to be true. All the best in your golden years.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    In Canada, several years ago,

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 4.59.09 PM.png

advertised that investing with their company could possibly have you retire at age 55. Well, a year out, I decided that I'd retire from work on my 30th anniversary. I was returning from the Sturgis Rally into Belle Fourche where our group was staying near midnight. I turned on the AM radio on the bike and listened for the midnight news tone. Hearing the midnight tone announcing the beginning of August 10, 2003, I said out loud "I'm free, I'm free!" And I was one month short of turning 55. I beat Freedom 55!!

Now 18 years later, it was a good decision. My wife retired 10 years ago this past May and we both get provincial government pensions as well as OAS and CPP pensions. We're doing alright. I did 7 months of "every day is Saturday, the wife works and so does the TV" and it was driving me crazy. So, I've held part time casual jobs to fill in my days and the added income is a bonus. I've told many who are contemplating retirement that, "If you wake up, sit on the edge of the bed and look forward to another day on the job because you enjoy it and the camaraderie of your co-workers, then stay. If you don't want to continue, then retire. Because the day after you reach availability for retirement is the same as the day before, but they can't fire you because you can retire!"

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 5.14.29 PM.png

• Like Like x 1
  13. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    Totally made me think of….
    E9DDCDB7-27B5-4072-8CD6-9E43CAF6EAEF.jpeg

@burbansk you could take a page out of Paul’s book and create/fix/modify things in your garage and put them on YouTube for the rest of us to learn a thing or two :)

• Like Like x 3
  14. SemperVee

SemperVee Active Member

12 RED CCT
    I retired 20+ years ago @ 40ish. Self taught invested wisely in stocks using my own intuition and fear as motivation. Now I believe I have a lot more money than time to spend it. Fear motivated me to make my money work rather than me, a HS drop out with a bad back and other medical issues who beat the odds so far. Still exercising and trying to carry the flag for the old guys but I Live for today, in the present, we don't get any do overs. You can always make more money but not more time. I own my life and the days I have left to do what I want. That is an amazing feeling.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    A couple of matching Ultra CVO's should take care of the excess money.