VOG Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, 9 months later I finally got my Extended Warranty paperwork. No big deal - it's not like I had any problems with my Kingpin anyway.

But, I was curious if any of you guys know about the Required Maintenance section in the paperwork. It states that... "We will require you to prove you have properly maintained the vehicle as required. You are responsible for retaining the receipts identifying the vehicle showing dates, mileage, services performed, year, make, model, and vehicle identification number..."

So, being that I'm more of a do it yourself-er does this mean I have to take my Victory to a dealer for service/maintenance?

Or, can I buy a nice log book somewhere and make sure I keep all my receipts, too?

Thanks guys!!

Aaron :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I tend to be more of an optimist, Nessie. So, I'll hope that it's not intentional. Maybe they're running their computers on DOS or Windows 98 or something?

;)

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
I have always said there is something wrong with that deal.

If I had an extended warranty, I would be giving the finance guy at the dealership a check when he was handing me the paperwork. Not one second sooner.

I would leave them 50 bucks and tell them we will settle the deal once (They) have all of (Their) paperwork in order.

I bet they would get their hands on it then.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
i wouldn't read too much into the fine print. The owners manual clearly states that any modifications you make to your bike will void your warranty as well.

I've not heard of anyone getting a warranty denial because they added a non victory part to their bike.

·
Registered
844 Posts

My dealer told me paperwork or not didnt make a difference.When ipurchased the bikeitwas entered into the system as having anextended warranty.So if i were traveling and had an issue,my bike could be pulled up in any dealers system showing the warranty information.
I have known my dealer for ten years,and i dont think he would try to piss in my corn flakes.LOL.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
"We will require you to prove you have properly maintained the vehicle as required. You are responsible for retaining the receipts identifying the vehicle showing dates, mileage, services performed, year, make, model, and vehicle identification number..."
Sounds like it states it right there to me. You can do the work yourself as long as you have a paper trail just a judge would require whenever you go to court.

I assume the reason the paperwork takes so long because it's handled by a third party. As I have always told owners since '99 get a copy of the extended warranty to keep on your bike. Like I tell them I paid for it I want proof. Again it's called a paper trail.
I have a problem with my bike in the middle of nowhere. I pull into a shop that all their computers are off line because of flooding. I show them a copy of my warranty and they can call Polaris with the number and get the ball rolling. Sure makes life easier.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts

Your warrenty was loaded into the system with the vehicle registration. The paper copy is just to give you something tangible. In case nobody noticed we are in the computer age. This means that a piece of paper is worthless without the data entry having been done.
As far as the do it your self folke. There is no need to have a dealer maintance if you can "prove your technical merit". The proof is simply the ability to keep reasonable records

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Keep a log book and reciepts and you should have no problems. As far as the drive belt goes, I do not think that is covered under the warranty? I would assume it would fall in the same category of brake pads?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
The intangibles are listed in the maintenance guide as "Inspect". Tangible items are listed as "Replace". Your word you inspected the "I" line items and receipts to show you performed the "R" items is all the proof they can reasonably expect.

Under current US law, if a manufacturer "Requires" a DEALER to perform maintenance work to maintain a warranty that maintenance work MUST be provided free of charge. Since Polaris isn't providing the maintenance free of charge they cannot require you to have it performed by a dealer.

That's why you see companies like VW and BMW offering 3 year, 36000 mile free maintenance. They determined that they were getting warranty claims that would not have happened if the scheduled maintenance was performed to their specifications but since they didn't have control over the people performing the work they were left holding the bag and had to cover the claims. By requiring you bring your car in for "free" maintenance to maintain your warranty they actually save money on the long run with fewer warranty claims. And don't be fooled by the "free" tag, you pay for it in the initial price of the car.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the warranty on my bike. I send my bike in for oil changes. Not only do I know that it will be recorded, but I think they give it a quick inspection as well. Last time I had it in, they came back out and told me a few loose bolts were found and tightened, and that some adjustments were made. and it was like "this bolt over here, this one way over there, and these 2 in the middle". I most likely would not have found them myself until it was too late.
I'm not a mechanic, I could probably take my lawnmower apart down to the blade housing and put it back together, but I'm also not going to ride it 100 mph down the highway. I'll let the guys that live and breathe these machines take care of my baby.

Besides, it's a good reason to visit the dealer and drool for a while over the new models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

mjw930 said:
The intangibles are listed in the maintenance guide as "Inspect". Tangible items are listed as "Replace". Your word you inspected the "I" line items and receipts to show you performed the "R" items is all the proof they can reasonably expect.

Under current US law, if a manufacturer "Requires" a DEALER to perform maintenance work to maintain a warranty that maintenance work MUST be provided free of charge. Since Polaris isn't providing the maintenance free of charge they cannot require you to have it performed by a dealer.

That's why you see companies like VW and BMW offering 3 year, 36000 mile free maintenance. They determined that they were getting warranty claims that would not have happened if the scheduled maintenance was performed to their specifications but since they didn't have control over the people performing the work they were left holding the bag and had to cover the claims. By requiring you bring your car in for "free" maintenance to maintain your warranty they actually save money on the long run with fewer warranty claims. And don't be fooled by the "free" tag, you pay for it in the initial price of the car.
Very good points about the Manual (I's and R's) and the DEALER not being required to do it, mjw930! I hadn't thought about it from that angle. I think the reasonable thing to do is the little stuff myself - using the logbook and receipt concept and have the dealer handle the big ones.
I knew you guys would have some great insight! Thanks,
Aaron :)

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Nessie044 said:
I was just using the drive belt adjustment as an example of an "intangible", something that there's no practical way to prove if I do it myself.
So, if I understand correctly, all I really need to do to cover my ass in the warranty department is keep a record of the maintenance work that I, myself, haveperformed.
If "I" say that "I" did the work, and show them the log book that "I" kept, that's going to be enough proof for Victory?
Plus reciepts for the parts...

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
My dealer would never question the maint. of my bike. He (service manager)knows I don't use him for minor maint. intervals. He knows I baby it and when I go to visit, he always goes out and googles all over it.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Nessie044 said:
As usual, thanks to all you guys for the great information. I have no reason to expect any grief from Victory, I just want to make sure to do what I can to avoid any potentialwarranty problems in the future.
I wouldnt worry to much about Victory but the third party that holds your extended insurance policy can be interesting at times...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Can I open up the worm can that is the Lloyd products debacle?
The only thing keeping me from getting the vfc and his new little iac valve is that they will supposedly nullify the warranty. Even though I'm helping the motor work better?

Anybody ever get called out on something like that by a dealer if an issue arose?

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Cadman said:
Can I open up the worm can that is the Lloyd products debacle?
The only thing keeping me from getting the vfc and his new little iac valve is that they will supposedly nullify the warranty. Even though I'm helping the motor work better?

Anybody ever get called out on something like that by a dealer if an issue arose?
Never heard anyone get called on that but Lloyds website states plainly that certain items do void the warranty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.