VOG Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LED's have been available for some time now and I'm thinking about replacing turn signal incandescent bulbs with them. Have the issues of flashing and other problems been largely resolved now? Do the LED replacements work with stock flasher control units? Or is my question too general to ask?

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
You can always replace incandescent with LED. 2 issues you may run into are hyperflash and stall (lights flash once then stay on or off). Hyperflash is remedied with a load balancer (resistors) and stall can usually be remedied with a couple of diodes. Keep in mind the LEDs have polarity and it's important to have the +12V on the proper wire or you will blow the diode. Stock flasher units are pretty stupid, so it shouldn't be an issue. But you are an electrician so I feel I've over-explained.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. You would think by now replacement LED's would have these solutions built into the device so that the consumer needn't bother with small alterations to the circuitry. These are, after all, electronic devices that emit light and the circuit designs are varied and abundant. How they interact with stock motorcycle electronics I guess is not set in stone.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Most are made to be direct replacement which, for all intents and purposes means to replace LED that's stock. To make it so that it replaces incandescent requires additional components and they would not be able to be used by systems with OEM LED setups so it would limit the sales and be for a niche market. Not worrying about load balancing provides them the availability to create more products for less money. Creating 2 separate lines for the same product (one with load balancing and one without) would be cost prohibitive.

Edit: There are LED replacement systems with built-in electronics but they are for a wider variety of models all using the same exact system. Victory doesn't really share much with other manufacturers other than some basic parts such as the turn signals themselves and the holder, but the base and the connectors and the controlling system they connect to are different.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I re[placed the front indicators with flexible wrap arounds to the forks of my Jackpot 2011 , They flashed quickly. I wanted to replace the rear indicators as well so I bought the upgraded LED flasher unit that simply replaces the old unit under the seat. Everything works perfectly . Its a better way rather than using hot resistors , On the down side its a lot more expensive .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.