VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I'm working on replacing the for seals on my 07 vegas because the are leaking horribly. I slid the forks off the bike. Now I'm trying to remove the bottom drain plug. Problem is that the drain plug isn't coming out. When I turn the bolt the whole fork tube is spinning so I held the top cap with a wrench and tried loosening the drain bolt and now the inerds are just spinning inside the tube and the bolts not coming loose. This is my first time doing fork seals and I watched a few videos on how to do them and it didn't look too hard. But something doesn't seem right. It's doing it on both forks so I need some people to chime in and give me some advice. Bike had 20k and this is the first seal replacement. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
clamp it in a vise put a towel round fork if vice is big enough put 2 pieces of wood on each side of fork
I can keep the fork tube from spinning while I try to unscrew the drain bolt by putting a crescent wrench on the cap and holding it. But the problem is that the inerds or spring and bushings and stuff on the inside are spinning also causing the drain bolt to not loosen.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can keep the fork tube from spinning while I try to unscrew the drain bolt by putting a crescent wrench on the cap and holding it. But the problem is that the inerds or spring and bushings and stuff on the inside are spinning also causing the drain bolt to not loosen.
This is all while the fork is clamped in a vise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is probably a dumb question but did you take a look at some of the many available YouTube videos about fork disassembly?

front fork disassembly victory - YouTube
Yes. I'm not a newbie mechanic either just my first time doing fork seals. So I went ahead and unscrewed the top cap and bam cap shot off and a washer and metal tube or slieve came flying out also. The spring and everything on the inside wasnt on a tensioning rod like all the videos of other bikes ive seen. The spring was just sitting in there free floating or non compressed by a rod. So idk what's going on.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
you really shouldnt be doing a fork service without a manual ....

a lot of these "videos" show the WRONG way. I saw one that said you just leave the forks in the trees, drain from the bottom bolt and replace what you drain .... jesus, i would NOT want those people to EVER touch a motorcycle I owned. No cleaning, no measuring, no burping the air out ...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I agree. I went and downloaded a service manual and shop manual. I'm just curiouse why my bikes forks are designed more like a Harleys then all the other victorys I saw pulled apart. Was it like a one year production or just on the 8balls or Something? But in all yes my problem is solved and I was able to get them apart. I made a holding tool this morning out of a bolt 2nuts and a long 3/8 extention with a socket. The cheapest tool made by polaris for my bike was like $80+.

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
Yes I agree. I went and downloaded a service manual and shop manual. I'm just curiouse why my bikes forks are designed more like a Harleys then all the other victorys I saw pulled apart. Was it like a one year production or just on the 8balls or Something? But in all yes my problem is solved and I was able to get them apart. I made a holding tool this morning out of a bolt 2nuts and a long 3/8 extention with a socket. The cheapest tool made by polaris for my bike was like $80+.
find the manual you need and download to your computer

MediaFire

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 04 is the same way. I was able to change everything out without needing a damper rod. Just needed a good vise, and don't take the pressure off until you have the drain plug loose (or off), so that the inside won't spin. Reassembly is easy with the Motion Pro 43mm fork seal driver and the BikeMaster Fork Oil Level Gauge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I made a holding tool this morning out of a bolt 2nuts and a long 3/8 extention with a socket
I know this tread is dead but I'm desperate... can you please tell a bit more about this magic "tool" you've made or maybe you have some photos left? I have tried many ways to grab that damper rod inside the tube and still no luck. I simply don't understand how you were able to grab it with bolt and a nut, does it have some "notching" inside? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5 Posts
kaitiff, Thanks for the reply but I'm looking for a way to disassembly fork, and I'm stuck with unscrew of bottom bolt which is common challenge and was discussed in this tread. 20vegas07 seemed to find a solution for this

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Yes. I'm not a newbie mechanic either just my first time doing fork seals. So I went ahead and unscrewed the top cap and bam cap shot off and a washer and metal tube or slieve came flying out also. The spring and everything on the inside wasnt on a tensioning rod like all the videos of other bikes ive seen. The spring was just sitting in there free floating or non compressed by a rod. So idk what's going on.
Rated that one funny because it happened to me years ago. Wasn't funny at the time. Glad you sorted it out.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
@Darlock, just to be clear (and I know you may not be able to post pix yet being new) you're having an issue with bolt at the bottom of the fork holding the spring assembly in the housing (and also the oil)?

Is the head stripped, stuck, etc,?

In the mean time Witchdoctors has the best video for breaking down a Vic steel frame fork and rebuilding it. There are 2 parts to the video demo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, I have issues unscrewing bottom bolt which holds damper rod. When I try to unscrew it, damper rod just spins inside the tube and according to the Service manual I have to use special “damper rod holder” tool which costs 90$ and simply not available in our days.
Witchdoctors video is good showing process (although I was crying when he installs the seals in the second part using the most “barbarian” method I’ve ever seen) but this video for inverted fork which is not my case

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Well sorry, I'll step off this thread and let someone else who will know more than I do answer. I didn't have that issue on mine.

You mentioned cost, and while I don't know if they'll fit/work, I see a number of tools anywhere from $20-50 online. Possibly one could fit or you could fashion one up from what is shown.

Good luck and sorry I wasn't of any help.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.