VOG Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last month, I was away for three weeks, so my 2015 Gunner sat quietly out in the garage.
It is not particularly cold here during the month of May, so I did not connect to the trickle charger.
Alas, when I returned and tried to start her up, the battery was dead as a doornail, and it would not take a charge on the trickle charger, either.
This was the original battery, going on 5 years old, right? I figured it's simply time for a new one. So, I bought a new battery a couple of days ago, and hooked it up.
Bingo. She started right up, and I went for a ride.
When I got back, I connected to the trickle charger to check the charge on the new battery.
To my surprise, the trickle charger indicator light is Red, indicating less than 80% charge!
If the battery has a charge of between 80% and 100%, the trickle charger's indicator light is Red blinking. If the battery is fully charged, the indicator light is Green.

Should I suspect another charging problem of some kind? Faulty alternator?
Help me out, guys?
Any ideas?

2015 Victory Gunner - Suede Titanium Metallic - 1731cc OHC V-twin
Maximus Techno Research
Victory Performance Stage 1 Straights exhaust system
K&N Hi-Flow air filter
Arlen Ness Black Beveled intake/ignition covers
Arlen Ness Black Vented engine covers
Arlen Ness Black Beveled grips
Victory Dual Instruments/analog tachometer
Victory chrome highway bar
Victory Lock & Ride Low Fly windscreen
Victory Two-Up luggage rack
Givi B29N Travel Trunk
Victory keylock helmet hanger
Victory Red Leather Solo Mission Saddle
Custom Dynamics Cool Magic LED driving spotlights
Spectro synthetic lubricants

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have a Battery Tender brand trickle charger with LEDs that work like you are describing. When I plug the charger in after a ride the red LED is on for a while before turning green. I'm guessing the charger takes a little time to get a proper reading.

• Haha
Reactions: lou8700

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Just an FYI, most batteries you buy at the store are NOT charged up to 100%. Even the batteries we get delivered to the shop arent 100%. Anytime we change out a customers battery, we always put it on the charger ... right out of the box .. to make sure it's 100% before its installed.

Im not sure how long your ride was, but the battery could have been around 50-60% but since its new, it had enough cranking amps to start the bike and your ride upped the charge, but didnt get it all the way there.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the good info, guys.
This morning before driving to work in my car, I attached the Battery Tender Jr. to the Gunner. Thus, my new battery has been getting a good charge throughout day.
Let's see whether the Green Light is on when I get home today.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
If your not going to ride for 3 days or so always plug the charger in to the bike.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got home from the office. Went out into the garage to check the status of my new battery.
GREEN light on!!!
Thanks for the encouragement, fellers.:dankk2:
Share my joy:headbang:
:dance:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.