VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So every year over Thanksgiving we close for a week.
Usually we go look at property in Arkansas but this year decided to stay closer to home.
Otter (my wife) isn't into riding or camping so we took separate vacations.

I ride every day & I have 4 bikes but it seems like I ride the Vic more than the others & there is an old saying:
"Familiarity breeds contempt"
Well I never had contempt for the Vic but riding it every day you just start taking it for granted.

Anyway I threw some camping gear on the Vic & took off.
Weather was real weird: temp changes, cloud/rain/sunny/warm/cold so after 3 nights I packed up.
Got home unloaded the bike, did laundry, put the gear away & the sun came out with blue skies.

I got back on the bike & headed west from Gainesville Fl with no destination.
Usually I take back roads but for whatever reason I jumped onto I-10 West, & I rode & I rode.
When I finally stopped I was in Mossy Point Mississippi, got a room & crashed.
Next morning rode home.

Here's the respect part:
The Vic was flawless.
Cruise was set at 80 in 6th gear (3000 rpm) & when I needed to go around another vehicle I just rolled it on.
Many times I looked at the speedo & was running along at 90.
If traffic was slower & I had to run 70/75 I just left it in 5th when I got an opening it was twist & go.
Getting back on the Interstate after a fuel stop it was so nice to out run the traffic when merging.

Anyway that was my Thanksgiving week ride.

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
Sounds like you had a good ride. About 60 miles farther west from Mossy Point is Buccaneer State Park right on the Gulf in Waveland, MS. A nice long ride and a great place to camp. My wife and I will be there again this winter for two months with our RV.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Great times Trout!

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Otter (my wife) isn't into riding or camping so we took separate vacations.
I make her go with me on a 4-day ride in June... then she makes me do week long camping trips. I guess the best option is to throw the bike in the truck, hitch up the RV, and do BOTH... that's only happened once so far.

Camping as in sleeping on the ground or in a tent? That's a no for both of us.

I went to the October ride alone this year... but spent a lot of time doing weekend camping trips with her. Compromises...
I like dogs, she likes cats, so we compromised... we got 2 cats.

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
Ya, my wife doesn't take any long rides with me anymore so camping trips are payback for being gone several weeks out of the year on motorcycle trips. Although just this last year I started hauling a bike in the back of the pickup. As long as I am back by noon she doesn't even miss me!

View attachment 505677

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like you had a good ride. About 60 miles farther west from Mossy Point is Buccaneer State Park right on the Gulf in Waveland, MS. A nice long ride and a great place to camp. My wife and I will be there again this winter for two months with our RV.
What months will you be out there?
I may do a New Orleans run to see my friend Leah & that might be a good meeting place.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I
Camping as in sleeping on the ground or in a tent? That's a no for both of us.
I pack both a hammock & a one man tent & the hammock can double as a ground tent for another person.
If I'm staying for more than a couple of nights I'll set both up & use the tent for gear storage / weather protection.
I'll set the tent up under the hammock & then tarp over both.

I'm on the primitive side I even start my fires with flint & steel.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
There are just so many ways to enjoy bike camping.. using one of those hammocks is awesome tho. Smallest possible way to avoid hotels etc on a bike I can think of. Seen lots of vids but haven't ever done it myself.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Ya, my wife doesn't take any long rides with me anymore so camping trips are payback for being gone several weeks out of the year on motorcycle trips. Although just this last year I started hauling a bike in the back of the pickup. As long as I am back by noon she doesn't even miss me!

View attachment 505677
What model Connect is that? Looks very similar to our little camper.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Where's your camping gear?"
Oh, it's right in here in my wallet. It says VISA on it.
Did that on this trip.
The motel I stayed at had the coolest "old" guy at the desk.
He insisted I park the bike on a raised island in front of the doors so he could see it.
Kept saying if I parked it "regular like one of these idiots will run it over".
He also said he never cared much about motor bikes & had never ridden one.

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
What model Connect is that? Looks very similar to our little camper.
2015 KZ Connect 232IKS. It's only 23' but has a slide-out on both sides and a center Island sink which makes it pretty roomy. It is also very well insulated including the underbelly and tanks. This deer season it got down to 16 degree's at night and nothing froze up.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
2015 KZ Connect 232IKS. It's only 23' but has a slide-out on both sides and a center Island sink which makes it pretty roomy. It is also very well insulated including the underbelly and tanks. This deer season it got down to 16 degree's at night and nothing froze up.
That is very similar to ours. It's amazing the features you can get in the smaller RVs like zero-degree insulated, 16 foot awnings, full bathroom... for just the two of us the 21 foot trailer is plenty and the open floor plan has a roomy feel. We just spent 6 days in it and never felt claustrophobic. I must say, though, that when we come home and walk into the 41' 5th-Wheel it seems huge.

"Where are you, P?"
I'm upstairs.

Cracks me up every time....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.