VOG Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to paint my brushed aluminum console panel that covers the radio and controls on my bike to a flat black. Has anyone done this, and what do I do for removal of this item? Thank you.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
First PULL the instrument cluster housing off.....yes, no screws/bolts. Just pull, hard. It will come off. Then remove the cover plate between the seat and the console. You will now see the screws you need to remove. Its just that simple.

Best of luck to you.....and pics when you are done.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thank you. I just want to paint it flat black to eliminate my problem with sun glare into my windshield. I am currently using black gaffers tape on the console to solve the glare issue, but it's just 'ugly' and I want to keep the bike looking nice!!!
Thanks again!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hey, I know a black one in Iowa that looks like that! I love that 3M Carbon Fiber tape!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I also sanded the inside of the rings on the chrome instrument cluster. At night, the instrument lights reflect like I'm looking down a chrome tunnel. (Ford Mustangs do this too, I hate it) The chrome is plenty thick to simply use 120grit sandpaper and it makes the inside of the rings look like the matt outside, with a shiny chrome lip on the front edge. It looks factory.

The chrome bezel just prys off, and I sanded all 4 rings inside, carefully not to touch the shiny front edge.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I was sucessful at painting mine over the weekend, and my glare problem is finally solved. I think I may look for some nice matte black adhesive vinyl contact paper and re do it with the contact paper which won't chip or scratch. I will try to get some pics and post them at some point. Thanks again everyone!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.