Remembrance today | Page 2 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Remembrance today

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Denny Pink, Jan 9, 2019.

1. NY mike

NY mike Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Indian chieftain - Harley Ultra
    Took me 42 years of Harleys to finally get to the point of ENUFF ! But do to club life I had to remain on American Iron. NP my choice I dealt with it. So Victory here I come September 2016 my new Magnum ! 4 months later I get the letter in the mail. I was so pissed ! By then I had already put almost 5g on her and was loving it ! Sad day.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Tims_Shadow

Tims_Shadow Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads

So out of curiosity since I've never owned a Harley, what kept you on them so many years? Was it for the social aspect?

3. NY mike

In the early 70,s when I went from dirt to street that’s all that the boys in my area rode. So you fall into what I always called the trap. I use to tell people who asked me should I buy a Harley ? Hell no it’s a trap ! You own one and from that point on its American Iron and I won’t ride anything But ! Lol add peer pressure with that. Then add club life. And then comes the rules- 1 you must ride American iron ! So where else can you go at that time No where’s but HD ! And they knew it. We were loyal to the core no matter what they built. Panheads Shovels Evos and Twincams. Had them all. Did they get better? Yes ! We’re they what they should be by that time ? Hell no ! I left because I got fed up with them putting the problems they knew about back in the motor year after year with no fix. But wait we will sell you the fix for the problem and charge you to put it in. What can I say I’m guilty and a slow learner lol but ! I never wore their BS clothes and never made them out to be anything more then they were. Riders would say man then why do you still ride them ? Because I keep hoping they get it right before I die or one of them kills me ! Well I had to to go because I’m running out of time myself now !

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Tims_Shadow

Tims_Shadow Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads
    Cool. That makes sense and falls in line with what I see so many of my Harley buddies doing. A few of them complain about the same problems going back into them year after year like you said. I don't get that unless Harley is just engineering recurring revenue into their bikes because they know people will pay up anyway. I went from dirt to street in the early 80s and by then, there were too many other choices that cost less and went so much faster. Its a miracle my dumb arse lived through those go fast be stupid days! lol. I've looked at Harleys several times over the years and they've made some really good looking bikes, but I've never been able to pull the trigger on one. When I finally wanted to have American Iron for once in my life, I went to look at Harleys, then Victory. I had to have the Vic. I've been in love with it ever since and so glad I went this route. My Harley buddies jack me about not being able to find parts when it breaks, but I have found my XR to be the most reliable bike I've owned and that my Harley buddies needed far more parts in far fewer miles. One of them has an early Dyna that SOMETHING literally falls off almost every time he rides it. At this point, that bike is made of more red Locktite than Harley parts! lol. I'm around 55000 miles on mine and still wouldn't think twice about taking it anywhere anytime. I still hate Polaris for shutting them down, but so glad I have this old girl in the garage.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  5. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory cct & 06 katana
    I too transferred from the dirt to the street ( legally ) in the nineties & always dreamed of owning a real Harley but couldn’t afford a nice one. I had to ride Jap bikes @ first & quickly learned they were much faster, cheaper & more reliable. When I finally could afford the bike I wanted HD had turned me off from all the junk bike horror stories, everybody had one, they were money pits & for the rich by then so I found Vic & OMG did I hit the jackpot. My xct is even better than I imagined. Not a single let down & actually exceeded my expectations. Best American iron ponies ever made for the street.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. Known1

Known1 Well-Known Member

2013 Cross Country Tour
    Funny, it took me 30 minutes in a HD dealership in March of 2012 to say ENUFF. They didn't give me the time of day and acted as if I didn't exist. I drove 1,000 ft up the road and spent my money with Polaris. Thank you for ignoring me HD!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. KeepRidin!

KeepRidin! Well-Known Member

2008 Victory Vegas Jackpot
    There will never be another Freedom 100/106 engine. It's probably the greatest of all time. And you can have your liquid cooled, and electric engines. Not for me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    I wasn't going to be denied.

My Victory brothers were not available, oh well. No one else to worry about behind me.

Temps near freezing, never stopped me before.

I got dressed and back the Vision out. The rear tire has been on cord watch with a tire in transit somewhere. Damn it, they they are, put her away and back the xc out. Walk around looks good. I had an errand to take care of for my pretty little blond. 20210110_081751.jpg

With that outta the way, its time to fill the tank and turn on Rever to record my wondering.

This was the results. Screenshot_20210109-144747_REVER.jpg that was a nice little loop with a hobby shop stop. Then a burger and a cookie Sunday before returning home.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    @jmstang302 HA! Yer dog is like "you are leaving me again, aren't you?" That expression is priceless!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ghostrider25

Ah, Remembrance Day. All I can say is that I am happy to still have this Vision. There is still nothing like it. And yes, Polaris can still lick my Balls.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    I had an experience several years ago that gives me solace. A friend and I were helping his neighbor and as we were standing in the driveway I noticed a bike in the garage under cover, with a lump on top of the front fender. This was well before 2011. I, looking at the lump asked, “Is that an Indian?” His eyes lit up and he pulled the cover off a beautiful late ‘40’s Chief. To make matters better, he turned the key and fired it up. His father was the original owner, he inherited it and restored it about 20 years ago (then). Now he takes it out every weekend or two just to enjoy a ride.
    This is my hope. I have a 2007 Kingpin in mint condition. As low as the values are I could easily own one or more other Vic’s in the future. And if that dude can keep a real Indian running 60+ years after it’s shut down, I will enjoy Victory rides as long as I ride.
    And when I’m 90 and can’t hold a bike up anymore...Polaris can still lick my balls! Lol.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  12. Tims_Shadow

Tims_Shadow Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads
    Agreed! Except I wouldn’t let Polaris lick my balls... I don’t know where their stockholders love stick has been! Lol Clorox won’t kill some of those cooties!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 3
  13. Ghostrider25

@iabob I know what you mean. The Viz is gonna be 7. It has a classic feel to it. I like looking into the blue lit analog cockpit at night. I love that. With a new clutch and shock she'll ride like new. Next time I get tires I'll have them do all the bearings too Whether it needs it or not. The ones that are on there are the originals, so they have over 50,000 on them now. I might even spring for a belt! I'll spend a couple grand on this bike as opposed to buying a Polaris indian.

And it's not that I dislike the bikes. There are a couple in the lineup that I rather like. I think the FTR would be a hoot (I haven't ridden that one yet). I really liked the way the Challenger rode. I nearly bought the Chieftain limited back in '18. That was a great bike. But I just can't do it. Every time I entertain the notion I get taken right back to yesterday 4 years ago. I can't do business with this company. And I won't.

So yes, they can go have coitus with themselves!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    I know the Victory display was on tour for the motorcycle show stops in in Canada in 2017, but when it arrived at the Expo Centre here in Edmonton 3 days after the cancellation day of the brand, it was still set up for all to see what was cancelled. It was embarrassing. That display would have been better used as a location for little kids in a jumpy thing. Gotta keep riding them though. They are too good to throw away and replace with something no as good in looks and quality and comfortable.

• Like Like x 3
  15. NY mike

@Ghostrider25 I did buy that 18 limited. And honestly thinking this may be my last. After talking to a rider with 365,000 on his 14. Before I hit that my riding days will be over I’m thinking. Other then being a little lite on storage I’m also good with what I have. Till I can no longer pull it off the stand I’m thinking. But a challenger motor in a limited mite tug hard on me.

• Like Like x 3