VOG Forum banner

Remember that old bike you had? Post a pick!

8K views 80 replies 39 participants last post by  BenD 
#1 ·
I know I am not the only one who had a bike (or more) before my current steed. Post up your picks and maybe a story about it. I'll go first.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

This is an old Yamaha Road Star. It had a carburetor that had to be choked at start up. The pipes where load and I felt like a badass when riding it. I replaced it with a Highball. (I was still in my "Gangster" phase.)

See less See more
#5 ·
2000 1500 Kawasaki nomad. I put a road glide fairing on it with HD lower fairings and a Honda Valkyrie trunk. All fab work by myself. Put 20,000 trouble free miles in it in this configuration 90% 2-up. The 4.2 gallon tank was a killer though when everyone else had close to 6.

Attachments

#7 ·
My other bike is a 750 nighthawk I built similar to the walking dead bike. R6 front end with a custom stem I made, 1976 XS650 tank, built the bike in a couple weeks after collecting parts for a few months

Attachments

#8 ·
Ok.That is a cool bike!

#9 ·
I did multiple 500 mile rides across Iowa on this beauty, seriously grand partying. Still have the bike, it's outfitted with all the best components you could get in the '80s. I don't ride it much anymore 'cause my body isn't built like that anymore. But I don't care, just like my Kingpin, it stays with me.
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Wheel Crankset

#12 ·
I did multiple 500 mile rides across Iowa on this beauty, seriously grand partying. Still have the bike, it's outfitted with all the best components you could get in the '80s. I don't ride it much anymore 'cause my body isn't built like that anymore. But I don't care, just like my Kingpin, it stays with me.
View attachment 570483
Down tube Friction shifters, Chromoly Steel Frame, 40 spoke wheels riding on 700c rubber. Man! That takes me back! Do you have one of those leather"hairnet" helmets? PM me if you are interested I'll ship it for free. It's the only remnant I have of those bicycling days and it needs a good home.

#11 ·
#14 ·
Believe or not guys, this was my first motorcycle.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

I was getting close to finishing college for my MBA. I wanted to "reward" myself for doing this in my fifties. I bought the bike on Friday, took the motorcycle class over the weekend, and took delivery of the bike on Monday. My wife thought I was nuts. I had never been on any motorcycle in my whole life and she knew it.
Thinking back on it, I was nuts! This thing weighed close to 800 lbs., would do 0-60 in under 4 sec, and top out at 140 mph!
Not a bike for a new rider!
I guess God takes care of Fools and Babies.

#20 ·
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Middle of nowhere Fraser Canyon, BC August 1982. Master link came apart. Not a happy camper. Vowed to sell it when I got back home and NEVER buy another chain drive bike again. A week later, an offer to buy a 6 cyl Honda CBX came up and I couldn't resist it. Had it 14 years then got into Goldwings then the CCT.

#31 ·
View attachment 570519

Middle of nowhere Fraser Canyon, BC August 1982. Master link came apart. Not a happy camper. Vowed to sell it when I got back home and NEVER buy another chain drive bike again. A week later, an offer to buy a 6 cyl Honda CBX came up and I couldn't resist it. Had it 14 years then got into Goldwings then the CCT.
I thought you Mandalorians didn't take off your helmet!

#23 ·
1981 Honda CB750C. This was the night I picked it up, 4-25-1998.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

#25 ·
Reactions: NY mike
#28 ·
The 1st of my Gold Wings
'Twas a 75 I bought in 76 and this shot was in 78, somewhere in the Adirondacks, of NY

Wheel Tire Plant Sky Motor vehicle

Dusty

#30 · (Edited)
Ya, I dressed it out with full Vetter equipment, including the Cycle Sound, installed a Marantz CAR 300 AM/FM/Cassette deck and an Audiovox 50 watt, 10 band equalizer.
It was naked when I 1st bought it, but added the fairing shortly after buying the bike, then painted it gloss black/put on Baby Blue pin stripping at that time

as I didn't care for that shade of Red that was original.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Plant

Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

My 1st brand new street bike was a 1973 Suzuki GT 250, which was a rocket for it's displacement, being a two stroke, twin with twin carbs and a 6 speed tranny!

Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Dusty

#32 · (Edited)
Fuel tank Vehicle Plant Tire Vehicle registration plate

I was doing something that I needed to pull seat off at the time so didn't have rear seat on.

2007 Honda VTX it was all stock when I rode it home on Super Bowl Sunday in 2012. Second bike. First bike was a Honda Rebel 250 a year earlier don't have picture of that on my phone.

Now have my third bike with the XCT. I'll keep it for a while. :)

My VTX is still in the family. Signed over to dad earlier this year so he can finally get back to riding. Had some wrist surgery that held him back from getting it out yet. I'm hoping that we can get together with my uncle and dad for a little group ride next summer.

#33 ·
One of my previous a Honda K2 CB750/4. Bobbed nicely by a good mate.
I swapped him a Ute for it.
Nothing like the sound of the old 750/4 when it's working hard.
I've had so many bikes but very few photos

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

#34 · (Edited)
My first bike ( High School) Yamaha 200. thats my mom on the Yamaha and me on my brothers Honda Scrambler. Yeah....I used to have hair!!!
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Window

My restored 1942 Harley WLA and Night Rod Special.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Harley Road Glide
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

2005 GoldWing
Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

#35 ·
50 Years ago this past October .. 1969 XLCH Ironhead Sportster .. Had fooled around some on Dirt Bikes and even got to ride my Dads 1950 Indian Chief now and then but consider this my First cause was titled in my name and bought with my money .. Brand new was $1695 MSP Had 400 miles on it and got it for $1700 OTD ..

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

#38 · (Edited)
50 Years ago this past October .. 1969 XLCH Ironhead Sportster .. Had fooled around some on Dirt Bikes and even got to ride my Dads 1950 Indian Chief now and then but consider this my First cause was titled in my name and bought with my money .. Brand new was $1695 MSP Had 400 miles on it and got it for $1700 OTD ..

View attachment 570625
Lmao Finitive joe ? I don't think so lol I know this man and he's not finitive joe !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.