Remember from whence you came?!? | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Remember from whence you came?!?

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by notaharley, Jan 12, 2022.

1. notaharley

notaharley Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    VISION, BABY!
    With the half-decade anniversary of the close of Victory, many old memories have been brought up.

REMEMBER YOUR FIRST POSTS?!?

Here's an early one of mine.....the day I gave away my beloved Harley once and for all....

Screenshot_20220112-091339.png
    https://www.thevog.net/threads/goodbye-hd-think-i-will-be-o-k.15554/

I was looking at old threads and saw this post by @Oldman47 from his "Before Victory" era:

Screenshot_20220112-091148.png

Oldman47, was that just before you bought your Vision?
    Hard to imagine you without a Vic and always ready with good advice.

Where were you guys?

Remember being a "noob"? Lol

• Like Like x 4
  2. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    I spent about 35 years on various Moto Guzzi 'Tonti' and 'Spine' frame bikes. Plus a 1999 and a 2000 Honda Valkyrie Interstate. In March of 2013, I traded in 3 bikes, 1 Moto Guzzi California Vintage, 1 Honda Valkyrie Interstate and 1 H-D 888 Sportster Low (wife's bike) at Randy's Cycles in Marengo, IL on a brand new gloss pearl white 2012 Victory Cross Country Tour. Randy found the CCT at a dealer in Montana and had it transferred out to him. Randy's is still one of the very best sources for anything and everything Victory Motorcycles.

I said early on that if the CCT were to be the last motorcycle I ever have, I'd be fine with it. I still feel the same about it. But I also desire to add a second Victory to the mix at some point. Likely either a Boardwalk or a Highball. As far as I'm concerned, the big CCT is with me for the long haul. It still gets me as excited as it did nearly 10 years ago. No motorcycle I've ever had has kept me interested in it like this Victory has.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Rollin

Rollin Well-Known Member

I joined the VOG on August 4th, 2008, but I think my first post was after I completed the Iron Butt 48 States in less than 10 Days ride on my Vegas, the first 48/10 to be completed on a Victory. I started the 48/10 on August 7th, 2008. The 48/10 was my 3rd Iron Butt ride on the Vegas and the start of many long rides on the Victory's.

I think it all started here. :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
  4. notaharley

VISION, BABY!
    Good to "hear" you, Rollin.
    I trust you are doing ok --- I know you have been doing God's work caring for your bride.

Seems long ago.....yet....not, doesn't it?

I'm betting 1000 miles on a Vegas would be rough these days!!!

Victory was exciting back then. Grassroots. Loved it!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    Me too, I’ve only had my xct for about 20 months and we’ve put 27 k miles on her over that timeframe, with the madstad windshield system, a Ram phone mount & Sykik tpms it has everything technically speaking we could ever need. I’ll buy / ride / sell other bikes for my work commute ( not trying to hit the 200 k club that soon ) but this xct’s my forever bike & my wife says it’s HERS & I’m just the chauffeur

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rollin

Rollin Well-Known Member

A 1000 mile day would be rough on any bike now. Haven't done a long ride since 2019. Just getting older.
    It was long ago and I'm surprised at how much detail I still remember from each ride. I think the photos and the ride stories help me remember.
    It was fun to do the rides on a Victory. I had a chance to be the first to do some of the longer IBA rides on a Victory and Victory enjoyed the stories.

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    @Rollin You are a Victory legend and your image should be plastered on Poloranus’ headquarters buildings front, they should give you bikes to promote their brand, you should have a seat at their table when developing new models or at least a paid spokesperson. Sir, you are THE king among kings within the motorcycle community and we are grateful to see your pics and read your trips stories, phuk Dora the explorer, Lewis & Clark and Ponce de leion......schoolbooks should include the travels and stories from Rollin the Rider!!!! After a quick re read of my own post I want to be very, very clear that I wouldn’t blow you but I would buy you dinner lol

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Rollin

Rollin Well-Known Member

I like food!! :eat2: :)

9. NY mike

NY mike Well-Known Member

Indian chieftain - Harley Ultra
    Whatever happened to @Oldman47 ? Anyone know

10. notaharley

VISION, BABY!
    I figured he'd notice he was being talked about.

He hasn't been on since March 29 last year. Hope all is well.
    Covid nearly took my mom a few weeks ago.

11. NY mike

NY mike Well-Known Member

Indian chieftain - Harley Ultra
    I knew it had been a while. I enjoyed talking with him. I hope all is well for him

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Me too. Many members have disappeared or taken a break. COVID won’t be a reason for us to not love our passions like victory’s. Fuk Covid.
    I came from metric land. Well after raising a family I decided to start riding again. Last papoose left the wigwam and I went shopping. Honda was doing great things with the development of the mew VTX line up. The Rune came and metric competition was up and running. No one was excited about HD and Victory seemed to be interested in Arlen Ness styling which was good but out of my price range at the time and honestly American motorcycles left a bad taste in my wallet with all the repairs that were heard about.
    Then came the day I decided to own a HD SG. Willie G had introduced what was nothing more than a stripped down ultra and called it Street Glide. Oh the rage. Till I rode one. Couldn’t wait to get back on my New Kawasaki Voyager. It was so superior to HD in every aspect of riding a motorcycle.
    still the peer pressure was too heavy and my order for a new 2012 SG was placed. I would make it work somehow but was afraid of the expense. Shortly after in the next work week I went by Best Buy Victory in Ft Pierce. Remembering back on 2010 seeing my first burgandy CC in Daytona and Jim getting ribbed by the HD naysayers at his display of the new Victory Street Glide Competitor.

Watching all the negative comments a year prior with the Vision ….it was dejavu again for this new offering. Of all my compadres I was the guy that stopped and wanted to talk about this new Bagger. For 30 mins we talked and I was taking interest. Jim was a great guy.

Fast forward back to my SG purchase 2012… Im driving by Best Buy victory. I decided to pull in and take another look. It’s been almost 2 years and the 2012 models were out. Maybe some changes ? Havnt seen many XC on the road ?
    There it was in all its Glory. The last 2011 XC in the world. The new 12’ models were in and would be more money and equipped with ABS and a narrower seat. No forged bars !!! There would be an all blacked out version too ( 8ball ) and I wasn’t going to get a deal on a 12. Like o did on this 11.

It was 3:00 in the afternoon and Jim comes out of his office with the key to that 11 XC. Black and chrome baby just like my new STreet Glide was gonna be.

I said …”no thanks just bought a Harley. Wanted to just take one last look at these before I sell my soul to HarleyDavidson”

He said “ oh man and your wallet. Don’t buy a Harley….. ride this bike. We close at 6.”

The ride was awesome. Compared to the SG I test rode ( not mine but a demo same bike )
    It was night and day. The linear power. The handling and the ride quality. Buffeting for sure but less than the SG. Plus the room on the bike and floor boards !!!! Yeah I know …. We already know.
    When I brought it back after a good 1 hour ride by myself. I said “ you ruined me. I always wanted a Harley and can finally buy one and this bike has me doing it again. Changing my mind.”
    He laughed…… told me all the pros with the only con being the clunky 1st gear which was an improvement over the 2010 model. I said l had to sleep on this as my order was already in and I was to pick up my SG Saturday.

Oh man talk about the sleepless nights. Saturday came and it was a rain out day. My buddy who’s gone now called me and asked if I needed a ride to the boutique to pick up my SG. I told him my dilemma. He was in the Ft Pierce area and said he was going to go by and look at the Victory bike.
    An hour later he called me and said. Wow that bike is beautiful and the price is right. Last 11. Your stupid if you don’t buy it. Him being 6’4” 250 lbs and sitting on the bike sold him right there. Him also riding a SG looked silly on it and thought about grabbing it from under my a$$. I said come get me and take me there. Over the phone I hear in the back ground one of the members at Best Buy saying we close at 4. The rest as they say is history.

Stay tuned for the events that follow shortly after picking up my new XC. The phone call to Harley and the wet ride home on my brand new 2011 Cross Country. The response from wife when the XC arrived.
    You won’t want to miss it !!!

BROUGHT TO YOU BY SPECTRO LUBRICANTS ……:aktion086:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  13. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Oh man was it raining that day. The bike was parked inside in front of the double doors at Best Buy Victory ….Prepped and waiting for its new owner to arrive. When I opened the doors I immediately smiled and remember saying to myself that I had made the right decision. This thing was a beauty. A couple walks around it for confirmation that was truly mine and then off to the Paperwork and Some free t shirts Then a brief go over of the bikes controls and off into the monsoon I went. I remember Mary saying…… “You can come back Tuesday to pick it up”. Me thinking there was no way I would go all weekend without her. Off I went for the 1 hour ride home on US1 traffic in a constant down poor. I was soaked when I got home. Remembering that ride thinking how I couldn’t wait for a dry day to really see how this bike will perform. By the time I got home the rain had slowed and there was just enough room in the garage for this 4th motorcycle.

Then came the time to call Donna at Harley. She had been blowing up my phone all afternoon. When she answered she knew it was me and said “ your Street glides all prepped and ready for ya !!!
    I told her I’ve decided to do something else. it just came out that way for having nothing else better to say. I was at an embarrassing loss and felt bad. She knew from previous conversations what I wound up doing choosing the Victory and congratulations were given in respect to her knowing the Cross Country was a good bike. How understanding is that ? Her being a Vrod rider understood that if a performing bike is what you want then you should have it. She was always ribbed by her choice in the HD Vrod as that not being a true HD. Well to work at and manage a HD Boutique she felt the need to own the only Harley that interested her and the Vrod was the one being modern and powerful. A bike with modern styling. She wished me good luck and said to bring it by to show it off. Lol. A true enthusiast and good person.

As I was drying my new XC off my wife pulled in and gave me a strange but familiar look and walked right by without a word and into the front door. My buddy looked at me knowing that look and said “ see you later “. Shortly after I walked into the quiet living room with Honey just staring out the window and I ask “ what do you think of the new addition “?

Honey …. “ really !!! 4 motorcycles !!! WTF !!!
    I was blown away as I clearly remember her saying if you want it go get it and me saying I have to sell the Voyager first.

I then said ….
    “But honey you said” ….. “go get it “

Honey ….. “No !!! I said Forget it !!! .. not until you sell the Kawasaki !!!! “

Oh boy….. the whole day went by without a word to one another. Sunday while polishing the bike she came out into the garage and said how beautiful the bike really is and that she’s glad I got what I finally wanted. Then she said

“I thought you wanted a Harley “?

Me …. “I did till I saw this and rode this ! I fell in love with this bike.”

Her. “Yeah I like it much better.”

Whew……. The Kawasaki was put on consignment the following week and sold within 2 weeks. Another whew …… I didn’t like 2 bike payments lol. Did well on the consignment. Actually walked away with a grand to buy my backrest and trunk option. Yes I have a trunk. Been hanging on the wall for 11 years ! Appreciating mind you.

stay tuned for the day our 2016 Magnum X1 became a house hold member ……:22yikes:

brought to you by a Spectro Golden 4 user ….:angel4:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. notaharley

VISION, BABY!
    Great story.
    Read it to my wife last night ---
    Funny thing is, I was also sure she just told me to "go ahead and buy it".....

I'm absolutely positive that's what I heard.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Over the years Honey has really enjoyed the Cross Country. The 11 had the tour style seat which to this day makes it the best for two up riding. She prefers the backrest over the trunk. She says the trunk sits her up too straight. Fine with me. A few times Ive tried to sell that trunk and she won’t let me for value reasons. The 11 models came with forged bars too. Last year of a 2 year run of this XC. Why Victory decided on run of the mill tube bars for their bikes is unknown. Probably cost and then the new tour model with lowers came and we’re mated to the tube bars only. Ahhhh makes sense now. Cost.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 1