VOG Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after years of my sister telling me she wanted to start riding with me she is finally ready .
For many years she has been saying that if she had the time and money she would like to start riding motorcycles with me. She has probably ridden a total of 3 or 4 thousand miles , borrowing my old 1100 or her friends night train, both of which she loved. She has been looking for a good deal on a Night train or Vegas but recently borrowed a friends Can am spyder and took it on a long weekend through the hills and backroads of northern PA. She loved it and now wants one instead of a bike. I have zero experience with them .

What is the general consensus on them as far as reliability and longevity ?
She is looking at a few 2008/2009 Spyders with between 15 and 30k on them.
I will wind up needing to help her fix it up and do any required maintenance. Do they last ?

She only has about $5000 , is she better off buying an 08 with ~~25000 miles or waiting until she has saved a few thousand more and can get something newer with less miles.

Normally I wouldnt think 25000 is a lot of most modenr motorcycles but I really dont know about the Can ams, any wives have them ?

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Reactions: Poseidon

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
My wife has a 2016 Spyder F3T. We have only had it for about a year, so I really can’t say how it will be long term. What I do know is that the problems that people have with them them seem to be random and all over the board. Mostly quality control issues from the factory. For example, we just got my wife’s F3T back from the dealer a few weeks ago for a clutch issue. Ended up being a nut on the back of the clutch basket that calls for green lock tight in the service manual, but had none on it. The nut backed off causing the clutch to not disengage the drivetrain. Took the dealer over 2 months to finally figure it out and fix it after throwing parts at it for a while Before they figured it out.

If you google motorcycle reliability by brand, Can Am has a pretty low ranking, but it is because of quality control issues like we had with ours. Once these things have been discovered and fixed, owners seem to be pretty happy with them. The rotax Motor is probably their best feature and all the electronic is probably their worst feature... at least in my opinion.

I think you would probably be better off with a good, well taken care of, used bike with higher mileage vs a newer, low mileage one simply because the problems should already be fixed.

Check out Spyderlovers.com. It is a good forum for Spyders.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts

·
Registered
5,092 Posts

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Love it, looks mean.
How does it handle ? I
It handles a lot better than you might think with the fat tires front and rear. It just takes a lot more effort with the countersteering to get it leaned over. So much so, That the same amount of countersteering effort on the Magnum would almost instantly lay it over onto its side. With the stock tire size it isn't as bad, but still requires a little more muscle to lay it over that what most bikes require.

I haven't had any issues keeping up with any other cruisers in the twisty mountain roads. I had a few that had a difficult time keeping up with me on it tho.

Here are a couple of pics of the back tire. It has whiskers where I have rode it all the way to the edge and rolled some of the rubber off the tire.

View attachment 494935

View attachment 494937

Reactions: CPT PYRO
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.