VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of upgrading the regulator rectifier on my 2015 XC Tour. I'm between the Rmstator rm30334 and the SH847 from roadstercycle.com. There's about a $80 difference between the 2 but i can't really tell why. I ride in the heat allot so I'm worried about the original RR on my XC frying up. Anyone here have opinions and experiences on these choices.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Check out my write-up on the SH847 installation...

http://www.thevog.net/threads/nother-r-r-tale.75337/

The greatest advantage in usin' the SH847 upgrade is the bracket. The SH847's a smaller unit than the original but if you get the bracket from roadstercycle.com it mounts the SH847 at the same road height as the original. There's an air gap between the hot engine and the R/R which helps to cool the SH847.

I had chargin' problems all through the summer of '16. In Sept.'16 I replaced the OEM R/R with the SH847 and haven't looked back. I've added LEDs, a 1000W amp, and various electrical accessories since without any problems.

Although the Rmstator rm30334 is Mosfet technology it's still a shunting R/R which will divert unused energy from yer stator to the frame (converted in the form of heat). The SH847's a series R/R which operates (switches ON) with demand. So, the SH847 runs the stator cooler (not just the R/R). With the series R/R there's less demand on the stator.

While Rmstator's rm30334 is a direct replacement for the OEM R/R. The SH847 will require butcherin' yer wiring... so there's that. It's not the ridin' in the heat that kills yer R/R it's the sittin' in high heat traffic, without air circulation, that kills the R/R. With all the freeways clogged up... I decided to take a back road outta Vacaville, CA, which got me bogged down in even more traffic on a 120*F day. This burnt my original R/R back in '16.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The greatest advantage in usin' the SH847 upgrade is the bracket. The SH847's a smaller unit than the original but if you get the bracket from roadstercycle.com it mounts the SH847 at the same road height as the original. There's an air gap between the hot engine and the R/R which helps to cool the SH847.

I had chargin' problems all through the summer of '16. In Sept.'16 I replaced the OEM R/R with the SH847 and haven't looked back. I've added LEDs, a 1000W amp, and various electrical accessories since without any problems.

Although the Rmstator rm30334 is Mosfet technology it's still a shunting R/R which will divert unused energy from yer stator to the frame (converted in the form of heat). The SH847's a series R/R which operates (switches ON) with demand. So, the SH847 runs the stator cooler (not just the R/R). With the series R/R there's less demand on the stator.

While Rmstator's rm30334 is a direct replacement for the OEM R/R. The SH847 will require butcherin' yer wiring... so there's that. It's not the ridin' in the heat that kills yer R/R it's the sittin' in high heat traffic, without air circulation, that kills the R/R. With all the freeways clogged up... I decided to take a back road outta Vacaville, CA, which got me bogged down in even more traffic on a 120*F day. This burnt my original R/R back in '16.
That clears it up for me. I've read many people that have had the RR changed out many times under warranty just to have it fail again. I'm fine buchering a harness to make the connections. I would rather spend $200 on a new RR vs being stranded on the side of the road if the investment works lowerering the chances of breaking down significantly.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Okay. I get it now. Yeah; I rode in heat up to 126 degrees but not stop and go traffic in the heat.

Sure don't miss living in the cities either...

It's good someone (Dave) found an option for those who do have to deal with those conditions. A lot of people simply stop riding in the Summer who live in extra hot places or they ride only on weekends as they make a bee line up to the mountains.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

How does the SH847 handle the higher rpms? I've got a 6400rpm rev limit.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'lI take the sunshine and low temps thank you very much.
This are mild temps my friend. I've ridden my bike where the temp gauge shows 120 and then stops registering because it doesn't go any higher. Functionally its still riding like if it was 90 degrees.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
It's all about acclimation. For peeps that live in hot climes; places like Minnesota or the Dakota's would be unbearable in the Winter and the same in reverse for the Summer or those used to dry climate will really suffer in 90 something humidity. Give any of them 2 years to acclimate and all is good. Well; they can handle it anyway. They may not like it but they can handle it.

I personally don't like cold weather. If it doesn't get to at least 50 degrees during the day; I'm not a happy camper. Preferably at least 60. The nights aren't as critical since I'm normally home by then if I went out at all.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
If you have a factory unit keep all the lights on all the time. The less power you use the more the factory unit heats up, and high rpm's make it worse.
I bought the SH847, but have not installed it yet...just sitting there in case I need it.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
How does the SH847 handle the higher rpms? I've got a 6400rpm rev limit.
Don't really know 'bout HIGH RPMs... I ride between 2.5-3.5k RPM. Most of the time I'm in 6th gear 'bout 70mph on cruise. I don't have a need to run high RPM's (so I don't). Sometimes I'll run at 90mph (like this morning) but, the R/R's held up just fine while movin' (so far). As I said, it's the lack of air movement and sittin' in heat that does a R/R in. I ride 120mi daily and have 60+kM on the odometer presently.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.