VOG Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did search the subject of reflector removal but only threads I found were talking about on the forks.

Can you safely use wd40 to clean the foam residue off painted saddlebags too?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I don't see why not. Test it on the back of the bag to be sure it doesn't hurt the paint.

Reactions: Tenax66

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
+1 on the Goo Gone, I use the spray gel personally, it doesn't drip as much. Used a plastic auto trim tool to pry the old one off, placed a paper towel on the foam residue, sprayed and came back in the morning, wiped right off. Also used it for the tank sticker and works on tar as well, but if you leave it on the paint long enough, it'll start to eat through the clear coat, I imagine.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I used Goo Gone also. Works great. No issues.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm at the lake not close to a store so at 4am when I woke up I raided my dad's shed and found a can of bug & tar remover. Had an old credit card and an old soft bristle tooth brush an 15 minutes later it was completely cleaned off! Rinsed with soap and water and its perfect:)

Thx for the feedback though!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Best way to remove them (or any emblem) is some fish line and a thick pair of gloves. If you do it right, won't have much sticky residue to deal with.

WW

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yep flossing tape or fishing line first then goo gone or wd40 works fine to get the remnants off .

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I gave it a day after I cleaned up the first one to decide if I liked it better on or off. Clean look won out so yesterday did the floss trick and wow. Cut it like half melted butter. Gently applied the bug & tar, let it sit for half an hour and cleaned up pretty quick. Love the look!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.