VOG Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum, searched and couldn't find a topic that covered my problem. My red seat is starting to wear through the color. What can I use to restore the color and add protection. Preferably I don't want something that will rub off on my pants lol. Anybody have experience with this? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,306 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I asked in the original post, does anyone have any experience with their red seat losing it's color? Apparently someone thought I wrote .... "My seat is losing it's color, should I buy a new seat????? I don't need advice to buy a new seat..sheeeeze

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
No, but anything will fade over time if subjected to the elements. Is it leather or vinyl? Maybe the auto parts stores have something that can bring the color back and keep it looking good. If it's a problem, you could re-dye it, probably fairly cheaply. Note of caution: although armor-all can bring back the color, if you use it on your seat you run the risk of sliding right off the bike first time you give it full throttle... ask me how I know!

• Haha
Reactions: PreachSF

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, but anything will fade over time if subjected to the elements. Is it leather or vinyl? Maybe the auto parts stores have something that can bring the color back and keep it looking good. If it's a problem, you could re-dye it, probably fairly cheaply. Note of caution: although armor-all can bring back the color, if you use it on your seat you run the risk of sliding right off the bike first time you give it full throttle... ask me how I know!
HAHAHA I'd love to hear that story. Thank you for the advice I will check with the auto part stores.... It is a leather seat, and I like the red highlight on my highball. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I'd be quite surprised if it was genuine leather unless it's an Indian seat. That's why I remain dubious as to dying it or restoring the original color.

But, good luck; I hope I'm wrong about that.

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
As I asked in the original post, does anyone have any experience with their red seat losing it's color? Apparently someone thought I wrote .... "My seat is losing it's color, should I buy a new seat????? I don't need advice to buy a new seat..sheeeeze
Welcome to the Internet, apparently you're new here. A little tip, it usually goes something like this: You ask a question, in a public forum, where anyone and everyone is welcome to share their thoughts. Maybe some answers you find insightful, maybe some you don't. That's how it goes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I heard from an auto body shop owner years ago that red is the worst colour for fading. At least for enamel paint back then. If you choose to get the seat reupholstered, just do it in all black. Not as pretty but no more red fade.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
You could probably send it to a leather dye shop. No idea of cost. I'm referring to the folks that dye the hydes, maybe? I really like the red seat. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I had a standard black solo seat recovered when I got my passenger seat recovered. The material we used was a marine grade vinyl and it held up pretty well. The OEM red solo seat I gave to a friend of mine for his Highball, and it does show wear along seams. No fading or wear anywhere else though. At least not yet anyway.

Not sure how to restore it,. But if you do get it recovered have them use the pattern from the newer solo seats without the seams that rub on your legs.

This reminds me I need to get my current seat (Bandit w/flames) recovered.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.