VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine light came on today and stays on after restarting. Only thing I notice is a very slight hesitation when I really crack the throttle.

here’s a pic of the code it’s showing..

anybody know?
Light Automotive lighting Gauge Measuring instrument Display device

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Tighten those battery cables quick!!!!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Never had to look up codes so I was curious.

Looks like that is...
MAP sensor circuit voltage low. MAP portion of TMAP sensor circuit is open, or shorted to ground.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I’m glad you were curious….so how do I go about resolving this? Where the hell’s the map sensor? The bike’s rideable, but will riding hurt anything?
The map sensor is on the right side of the throttle body.

Anything that triggers a red light, on the dash, needs immediate attention. Do not continue riding.

Without a reading from the MAP sensor, the computer is missing vital information needed to maintain the proper Air Fuel Ratio.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
It could just be issue on the sensor connector.
Or battery connection as mentioned above that can create all sorts of issues.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
so how do I go about resolving this?
Always start by checking the battery connections are wrench tight, Vics do weird $hit when they’re not

·
Registered
115 Posts
FWIW Ground connetions between the frame or engine to the battery are worth checking. This basic and easy/cheap repair can do wonders for resolving computer errors VS replacing parts. I would go so far to advise checking all the connections in that circuit to look for corrosion or dirt. I don’t know where you are geographically but it has been damn hot which leads to faster corrosion and heat expansion of mechanical connections. It is a good service thing to do in general.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
There are plenty of links on here for digital copy.

Chapter 5 in my 2012 manual.

It says the obvious.
"Vehicle Speed Sensor data erratic, intermittent, or missing"

Check your speed sensor connector.
Check the cruise control area.
Check speedometer area.
Check ECU connection.

• Winner
Reactions: normthenomad

·
Registered
115 Posts
2016 Vic xc Speedometer drop to zero before the Red check engine light came on just hoping you're still curious 🤔 View attachment 635016
Huh, I’ve worked on a lot of bikes and different manufacturers etc. I recall once on a bike with anti lock brakes that the sensor got loose and rubbed away until it was intermi going to ground causing this very condition. I don’t think it was a xc but maybe worth a visual inspection.

• Informative

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Huh, I’ve worked on a lot of bikes and different manufacturers etc. I recall once on a bike with anti lock brakes that the sensor got loose and rubbed away until it was intermi going to ground causing this very condition. I don’t think it was a xc but maybe worth a visual inspection.
Wow! I did find both wires coming from the rear abs sensor frayed and rubbing…did the fix it, but the light and code still show..,do I need to clear the codes? If so, how do I approach that?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wow! I did find both wires coming from the rear abs sensor frayed and rubbing…did the fix it, but the light and code still show..,do I need to clear the codes? If so, how do I approach that?
Just a guess but disconnecting the battery may do it. That said it is probably a better idea to check the manual. If you don’t have access let me know and I will find out for you.

• Agree

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just a guess but disconnecting the battery may do it. That said it is probably a better idea to check the manual. If you don’t have access let me know and I will find out for you.
yeah, I disconnected the battery after I did the wiring..I have the owners manual, but never had the shop manual.. I’ve been riding it all along with no negative impact…actually the bike runs fine..she’ll be turning 100k this weekend.

·
Registered
115 Posts
yeah, I disconnected the battery after I did the wiring..I have the owners manual, but never had the shop manual.. I’ve been riding it all along with no negative impact…actually the bike runs fine..she’ll be turning 100k this weekend.
What year is your xc?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts