VOG Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking my 2011 Vision may be in need of lifter service, don't feel like digging into engine myself. Anyone have any mechanics around NE Ohio they'd recommend?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
What makes you think it needs lifter service? More info would help. Could be a simple fix.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
very noticeable tick, changes with engine speed, sounds like hydraulic lifter failed. used to go away occasionally, now constant, regardless of temp/ conditions, current oil change. thought it was an exhaust leak at the head (sounds similar), but no signs of leak

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I'm guessing you're hearing a lot of noise at idle and cold start?
Before you go spend a bunch of cash give this a try:

0. Always start the bike while sitting on it instead of on the side/kick stand. (Once running you can hop off while it warms for a few minutes.)
1. Ride around awhile to ensure your engine is warmed to full operating temperature.
2. Go wide open throttle and rev it out to 5k RPMs in the first 4 (or more) gears if possible.
3. Repeat step 2 a few times while being safe of course
4. Finish your ride as you normally would
5. Park the bike and let it cool over night
6. Start the bike the next day (never on the side stand) and I would be willing to bet your engine doesn't make all the noise it did prior to letting 'er rip.

If your bike still makes a lot of noise the next day than yeah, you likely need service. Our engines love fresh oil and high RPMs from time to time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nope, not idle or cold start- always, from start to cruise, and back again. Beginning of the ride, still at the end, can even be heard on the highway.
Also, my bike is stored and started (if it can be called that- I ride near year 'round in NEOhio) w/ sidestand on a 2x4 - so it's near upright most times.

Seriously wishing it would turn out to be something simple, but over 40 years and countless bikes, this one sounds a bit more serious. Normally I'd tear it down and rebuild myself, but i just don't have the time nor inclination at the moment.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh yeah, and this:
2. Go wide open throttle and rev it out to 5k RPMs in the first 4 (or more) gears if possible.
3. Repeat step 2 a few times while being safe of course
would be my normal way of riding LOL!

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Well in that case I think you're correct in that your engine requires a bit of TLC. Unfortunately, I can't help with a mechanic in your immediate area. If you're willing to go for an 11 hour ride one way I know of a great shop in IA. I take my bike to them once a year for my annual maintenance needs. There's a cheep roadside motel a mile away. If interested, you'll definitely want to make an appointment. These guys are among the best in the business. Best of luck to you and your bike.

www.thevicshop.com

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Looks like you are only about an hour from Witchdoctors? Maybe call them and see if they have a recommended shop or can do the work for you?

Witchdoctors Billet Specialties LLC.
330-856-6924 M-F 9-5 EST
2164 Elm Rd NE, Warren, Ohio 44483 USA

Reactions: bikendad

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
about an hour or so from Witchdoctor, but they only recommend an auto mechanic down the street who will work on Victory. While I trust them, that just doesn't strike me well

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
about an hour or so from Witchdoctor, but they only recommend an auto mechanic down the street who will work on Victory. While I trust them, that just doesn't strike me well
Hmmmm....yes, that does seem a bit strange.

Any old Vic dealers near you that are now Indian? May be another option with a tech that has been there a while and knows Vics.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
How far from Lloyd's? Done once, done right:icon_thumleft:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Reopening this to mention I figured out the ticking a few months back, forgot to check in. Loose shifter, just enough to lightly rattle through the bike. New bushings, noise gone! Now I'm chasing down all the plastic rattles with the furry side of velcro- what a difference!
Thanks all for the input.
-mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.