VOG Forum banner

Recommendations for Montana-Idaho-Wyoming Motorcycle tour?

693 7
Greetings All,

I am in the early planning stages for a small group ride in western Montana, Idaho and possibly even upper western Wyoming.
Recommendations?
Roads to ride?
Roads to avoid?
Places to see?
Places to eat?

All the riders are fairly experienced and capable, however, all are riding heavy cruisers mostly two-up. (Meaning, we need to avoid gravel.)

Currently, we are thinking last two weeks of July '23. Is that the right time to tour this area?

Thank you in advance, ride safe,
Smokier
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greetings and Welcome @The English adventurer .

Thank you for the response.
I should have listed what was already on the radar.
Where/what is "Chief Joeseph" (The Dutton Ranch ala "Yellowstone"?)

Already on the list:
Beartooth Hwy
Going to the Sun road
Lolo pass
Hwy 89 South to North.
Montana 141

Ride safe,
Smokier

· Registered
3,519 Posts
You can pick up chief Joseph Highway coming out the East gate of Yellowstone on your way up to Beartooth pass. Take 212 to the 296 split and run 296 that’s chief Joseph Highway. A good day is if you stay in Redlodge MT a pretty Kool town. You can run 308 east out of Redlodge take 72 S to 120 and that to 296 chief Joseph then to 212 and run Beartooth back into Redlodge. For some reason chief Joseph is not well known but you will enjoy the ride believe me

· Registered
68 Posts
I ride all of these quite often. 34 from Fredom, WY to Soda Springs, ID is a nice ride and just off of 89. 89 to 33 to 31 to 26 is a good ride. Lots of corners, 2 mountain passes and along Palisade reservoir. 33 to 32 to 47 to 20 and on to West Yellowstone is a scenic ride also. Check out upper and lower Mesa falls on 47 as you head into Island Park area, if you go this route. Most of these are about 300 mile day round trips for me. At the corner of 31 and 26, grab a square ice cream cone...

Reactions: Smokier104

· Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for your comments and recommendations. Keep 'em coming.
Is the latter part of July a good time - for probable good weather?

Ride safe,
Smokier

· Registered
3,519 Posts
Thanks guys for your comments and recommendations. Keep 'em coming.
Is the latter part of July a good time - for probable good weather?

Ride safe,
Smokier
It’s a great time. In all the years I’ve been touring we always go last 3 weeks of July to the 1st week in august the latest. I don’t know if we’re just lucky or what we usually don’t deal with a lot of rain at all. But we are talking about mother nature here and she can be shall we say finicky to be nice about it lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts