VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a trip coming up where I'll be doing some cooler weather riding...that's COOLER by Florida standards.

Instead of looking for a heated vest that is powered by the bike's electrical system, I'm seeking one that's powered by a rechargeable battery that delivers at least five hours of reliable power. I've found a few online (they are on sale these days), even one from Brookstone for $99.

Does anyone have any personal experience with rechargeable heated vests? Any recommendations?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts

Andy: Is there a big difference in price between rechargeable and plug-in?

I think given the few times you'll use a heated-vest, the rechargeable is more convenient, but I'm sure there are more styles/options available out there with the plug-in variety.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Drew,

As we know living in The Sunshine State, we don't have much usage for heated clothing. That's why I'm looking at a rechargeable vest as opposed to getting the wired models and having to rig up an electrical connection. This seems like the simplest solution.

The good news is that this is the time of year where these things go on sale. Brookstone has this one for $99. Here's link:Click Here

I don't know anything about it, so feel free to chime in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,895 Posts
The Vision has two prewired 12 v outlets one in the left tank compartment and one in the trunk.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trekwolf164 said:
The Vision has two prewired 12 v outlets one in the left tank compartment and one in the trunk.
By the time I place my iPod, Garage Door Opener and other small items in the glove box, there's little if any room for the power plug. Also, since I'll rarely use the heated vest, I'm leaning towards going the easy route and getting a battery-operated vest as I'll most likely need it during the early morning hours.

I could connect it to the outlet in the trunk, but it just seems like too many wires for me.

If I would be using it on a regular basis, I'd have a power outlet drilled into the lower portion of the console.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,895 Posts
Andy said:
Trekwolf164 said:
The Vision has two prewired 12 v outlets one in the left tank compartment and one in the trunk.
By the time I place my iPod, Garage Door Opener and other small items in the glove box, there's little if any room for the power plug. Also, since I'll rarely use the heated vest, I'm leaning towards going the easy route and getting a battery-operated vest as I'll most likely need it during the early morning hours.

I could connect it to the outlet in the trunk, but it just seems like too many wires for me.

If I would be using it on a regular basis, I'd have a power outlet drilled into the lower portion of the console.
True since I have ridden my in temps of 20 degrees F with only a leather jacket blue jeans no thermal undies and was very comfortable due to the windshield ,heated grips and seat. But I hear it gets down to almost freezing by you.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trekwolf164 said:
Andy said:
Trekwolf164 said:
The Vision has two prewired 12 v outlets one in the left tank compartment and one in the trunk.
By the time I place my iPod, Garage Door Opener and other small items in the glove box, there's little if any room for the power plug. Also, since I'll rarely use the heated vest, I'm leaning towards going the easy route and getting a battery-operated vest as I'll most likely need it during the early morning hours.

I could connect it to the outlet in the trunk, but it just seems like too many wires for me.

If I would be using it on a regular basis, I'd have a power outlet drilled into the lower portion of the console.
True since I have ridden my in temps of 20 degrees F with only a leather jacket blue jeans no thermal undies and was very comfortable due to the windshield ,heated grips and seat. But I hear it gets down to almost freezing by you.
Okay, go ahead and say it...WIMPY, WIMPY, WIMPY!!!

I ordered the Brookstone vest. I'll give you an update on it after I put it to use.

This is for an upcoming trip where I'll be starting the day in the early morning hours in temps that should be around the mid 40s. Hey, that's cold by my Florida standards! Also, I'm hoping to possibly ship the bike to a cooler weather climate this Summer and this might come in handy for the higher altitude, cooler temps. When I say that's it's too hot to ride in Florida in the Summer, I'm not lying. But as we say down here, "It's not the heat, it's the HUMIDITY." And boy, does it get humid here in the summer...95% humidity is not strange. If I was a kid on a sportbike, riding with no helmet, shorts, t-shirt and flip flops, maybe it would be okay. But I'm not and I gear up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,895 Posts
Wear it in good health and tell us how you like it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Trekwolf164 said:
True since I have ridden my in temps of 20 degrees F with only a leather jacket blue jeans no thermal undies and was very comfortable due to the windshield ,heated grips and seat. But I hear it gets down to almost freezing by you.
"... it gets down to almost freezing" ... Do I detect a note of sarcasm here? :) :) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts

Sarcasm! That's reality here up North in the summer time. Even in July or August you can get snow and if you're travelling through the mountains be prepared for anything. Anyways I'll quit my whining and wait another 2 1/2 months before I can even think of riding, that's if the snow and ice is gone and there's only sand left on the streets.
Good riding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Bambam said:
Sarcasm! That's reality here up North in the summer time. Even in July or August you can get snow and if you're travelling through the mountains be prepared for anything. Anyways I'll quit my whining and wait another 2 1/2 months before I can even think of riding, that's if the snow and ice is gone and there's only sand left on the streets.
Good riding.
You weren't whining BamBam, you were just telling it like it is. Trek said he rides in sub 20 degree weather all the time, then making a jab at us 'Floriday boys' by sayng hey, you guys down there in the warmth ... you want cold riding, I got cold riding ... although you guys get some might cold weather down there too ...'I hear it almost gets down to freezing sometimes' ... hence the sarcasm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Yeah, I guess you're right. Reality is I actually got a little frostbite on the face at work last night.Only minus 16 C, it's been over twice that cold this year actually we had a good solid month of it and no problems. I'm not as young as I used to be, I even used to like winter. Good riding to allyou guys down south and I do know cold is relative to where you are. Cold is cold is cold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,895 Posts

Cold won't keep me off the bike , Rain Ice and salt do though. I got spoiled last winter it was very mild .
This year there has been many days the Vision has hidden inthe garage.
I'm just jealous of the warm climate crowd.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top