VOG Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share my recent experience with the group as a "good to know" bit of info. I have searched the forums and found that this is an incident that others have experienced.

I was installing a new battery for the beginning of the riding season on my 2014 highball. While walking around the bike, I noticed a burr of raw metal on my swingarm, right by the axle alignment adjuster. Upon further investigation, I had 2 of the 5 bolts left holding my rear pully onto the rear wheel. Lots of slop in the pully, obviously. The bolts had backed out, and gouged the axle adjuster in the process. This resulted in my rear wheel, rear pully and swingarm being damaged to the point of needing to be replaced.

The rear tire is factory, so there has never been any work done on that portion of the bike. Due to the tight clearances, you can not get a wrench or socket on these bolts to check them without removing your wheel from the bike. Not on my bike anyway.

With over 8700 kms on my bike, victory covered the expense of parts ($2500 Canadian, plus taxes). Labor fees were on me. Some might complain about that, but I was happy.

Shout out to discovery motorsports in saskatoon Saskatchewan for getting this work done for me. I did not purchase the bike from them, but they treated me like a long time customer. Boundary motorsports in lloydminster is where I purchased the bike, and they just gave me the runaround when trying to deal with them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I went through this. Sheared all the bolts at 500 miles. Then again after 5k. Then again at 20k. Maybe our highballs were built on the same Friday by the same assembly worker.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Thought I would share my recent experience with the group as a "good to know" bit of info. I have searched the forums and found that this is an incident that others have experienced.

I was installing a new battery for the beginning of the riding season on my 2014 highball. While walking around the bike, I noticed a burr of raw metal on my swingarm, right by the axle alignment adjuster. Upon further investigation, I had 2 of the 5 bolts left holding my rear pully onto the rear wheel. Lots of slop in the pully, obviously. The bolts had backed out, and gouged the axle adjuster in the process. This resulted in my rear wheel, rear pully and swingarm being damaged to the point of needing to be replaced.

The rear tire is factory, so there has never been any work done on that portion of the bike. Due to the tight clearances, you can not get a wrench or socket on these bolts to check them without removing your wheel from the bike. Not on my bike anyway.

With over 8700 kms on my bike, victory covered the expense of parts ($2500 Canadian, plus taxes). Labor fees were on me. Some might complain about that, but I was happy.

Shout out to discovery motorsports in saskatoon Saskatchewan for getting this work done for me. I did not purchase the bike from them, but they treated me like a long time customer. Boundary motorsports in lloydminster is where I purchased the bike, and they just gave me the runaround when trying to deal with them.
Thanks for sharing this with pics. You're right; it has happened before and the only reason I can think of is the torque values must not be correct.

FWIW, this doesn't just happen to Victory's, it can happen to any bike with a sprocket or pulley.

A good reminder to check those bolts when checking air pressure and tire wear.

Glad the dealership took good care of you. That's what we all like to hear!

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Are these bolts put in from the factory without having a drop of removable Loc-tite on them???

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are these bolts put in from the factory without having a drop of removable Loc-tite on them???
One of the bolts that had backed out enough to have the head sheared off was still in the hub of the rear wheel. I backed it out and your assumption is correct. Not one bit of loctite on the threads. I requested that the new bolts get some and the mechanic said he would for sure.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Loud pipes drowning out the striking sound of the bolt head on the swing arm?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Loud pipes drowning out the striking sound of the bolt head on the swing arm?
Lots of noises on a motorcycle with no windshield and an open face helmet at highway speeds that would drown out the sound of a bolt hitting the swingarm. I assume you think that the bolt went around and around and around, striking the swingarm several times. I would think it hit once and was done. That one sound, if heard, could easily be passed off as a rock from the road hitting the bike.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Is it possible that the bikes with this issue have had the belt adjusted to tight.
If you check your belt tension cold the belt will have play in it.
Then check it after a ride and it will have less slack.

If your belt is snug when cold it will be singing tight when warm. This will literally pull the bolts out of the wheel.

Guys check your belts after a ride when things are hot. The belt should still have play and not be pulling hard on the rear pulley..

Pls reframe from telling me you used that useless tension writers in the manual....
Or that stupid tension gauge......

I take my pulley off at each tire change and have never used lock tight. I keep forgetting to use it and have never had bolts come loose.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Is it possible that the bikes with this issue have had the belt adjusted to tight.
If you check your belt tension cold the belt will have play in it.
Then check it after a ride and it will have less slack.

If your belt is snug when cold it will be singing tight when warm. This will literally pull the bolts out of the wheel.

Guys check your belts after a ride when things are hot. The belt should still have play and not be pulling hard on the rear pulley..

Pls reframe from telling me you used that useless tension writers in the manual....
Or that stupid tension gauge......

I take my pulley off at each tire change and have never used lock tight. I keep forgetting to use it and have never had bolts come loose.
Rob now that you bring this up you got me thinking, I adjusted my wifes Kingpin to the manual specs and as you said when the belt is warmed up it is singing tight, I think something is not right in the manual. My Cross Country is nothing like a singing tight belt when set to 32mm @ 10 lbs.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Rob now that you bring this up you got me thinking, I adjusted my wifes Kingpin to the manual specs and as you said when the belt is warmed up it is singing tight, I think something is not right in the manual. My Cross Country is nothing like a singing tight belt when set to 32mm @ 10 lbs.
My Cross Country is the same.
In the morning in my garage I check my belt and there is a good 3 inches of slop in the belt. Just like a loose chain on a chain drive bike.
But take a ride and the belt gets tight.
I now check my belt after a ride. I like to have approx 1"of play when hot.
I mean warm outside. The hotter it is out the tighter the belt gets.

I also have my belt running without touching the pulley sides .
It will wonder a little bit but doesn't touch ether side of the pulley. I believe this helps keep the heat down in the pulley grom the friction of the belt rubbing the edge of the pulley.

Not sure what the issue is with or by using 10 lbs on the belt then adjusting the slop. These belts do not stretch so weather it is 10 lbs or 5 or 50 , it's not like the length of the belt will change.

I can only imagine the massive amount of tension that would be on the front and back pulley if it was adjusted cold then got hot and tightened up.

Could there be enough tension to damage the threads in the wheel? Or slop out the holes in the pulley
I think so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.