VOG Forum banner

rear pipe glows

4132 24
well, i dont know if this has happened to anyone out there, or if any one has even noticed it, but the other night i was riding my bike (09 vision) and it was riding fine, everything felt normal, when the guy next to me sayd your whole engine area is glowing, so i looked and sure enough the rear cylnder pipe was glowing, it was about 50 degrees outside, so i called my dealer and he said it sounds like maybe the bikes running a little lean, i have the intake plate, ness big honker pipes, and the k&n filter and the down load, but i dont have a fuel processor yet, i was waiting till i get cams. well after that night i figured well i wont ride when its cold out, so i went out another night and it was 70 degrees, and sure enough, the same thing it was doing it again, so im just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so what did u to do resolve it? i dont wanna buy a fuel processor if its not going to cure the problem. any idea and thoughts would be great
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Grouchy Old Member
7,239 Posts
I hate to sound silly, but is it possible it's an exhaust leak and you're seeing combustion gasses reflected off the pipes?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its only the rear cylnder and it just glows orange like if u heated up a peice of steal with a torch, its just orange,almost like a hot coal in a fire,and the pipe is completly orange down as far as where the pipe goes 2 into 1, where it Y's into one it looks completly normal from there back, and the front pipe looks normal as well. i talked to a couple different people that know stuff about bikes, and there first reaction was its proably running lean from being cold outside, and thats what the dealer said as well, but the only problem is it does it even when its 70 out

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

i was very concerned, but i obviously needed to get home, if i rev it up and let off and kept doing it for about 5-10 seconds it turned back to normal, i told the dealer, and he didnt seem to be to concerned, all he said was you should deff. get a fuel processor, but maybe he didnt care to much, cuz its under warantee for another 4 years

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I only thought two-stroke motors could produce a glowing exhaust. If it's running that lean, your rear cyclinder head is going to decompose soon....something is not right!

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
A little lean would be an understatement! Get the processor on there... If your rear cyclinder melts down because of the aftermarket accessories your warranty will not do you any good because the failure is directly related to the accessories....

·
Registered
3,209 Posts

Check your fuel pressure, check the throttle body adaptor for vacume leaks. Check the hoses coming from the IAC to the throttle body. I'll bet one of them is the problem. My money is on the "T" where the IAC hose goes into the throttle body is torn, or deteriorated. A little brake clean in the hands of a good mechanic will let you know.
Continued running like this WILL burn an exhaust valve

·
Registered
22 Posts

For piece of mind, I would examine the plugs. If they are white you are running way too lean. Also do a compression check on each cylinder. I am not sure what the compression should be butit would be easy to find out. The compression check should show any cylinder, piston, piston ring, valve/valve seat damage. I wish you the best of luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts

This condition is completely normal, the pipes are 'thin wall tubing' just like Headers on cars, they get hot quickly, stay hot, glow orangish cherry red and cool off quick as well.
The rear cylinder exhaust pipeon ALL V-Twin engines run with a noticable glow at night, it will surround the exhaust port area of the cylinder head and travel down the pipe. The front cylinder andpipe does not get quite as hot because it is more directly in the air stream. This is especially true of air-cooled engines compared to water cooled ones.
If you have access to or own an infared temperature reader, read the pipe and head temps of both cylinders when the engine is completely warmed up and compare the difference, this will tell you if there really is an overly lean condition.
Taz

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

im not argueing anything, im just looking for help, and other peoples opinion, but there is no way that is normal, it has never done it in the past, and i ride with other victorys and other harleys, and none of them, guyz i ride with have that type of issue, i dont want to burn up valves or loose a motor over something stupid

·
Registered
714 Posts

Happened to be there when they were looking at it this morning.
Must agree with Tazman. Pipe color looks just like mine and a Vision off from the demo tour. Ran all three at the same rpm and all three bikes showed the exact same spot.
They did use a temp gun and was not out of the ordinary. Front pipe does change some also, just not as much as rear.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Rick057 said:
Happened to be there when they were looking at it this morning.
Must agree with Tazman. Pipe color looks just like mine and a Vision off from the demo tour. Ran all three at the same rpm and all three bikes showed the exact same spot.
They did use a temp gun and was not out of the ordinary. Front pipe does change some also, just not as much as rear.
If this was done at Mainly; then I don't need to know anything else

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.