VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having a reaccuring squeek comming from what appears to be the rear of the bike. It's a little hard to explain the noise, it only appears whenI hit a med/ large bump. My first thought was the shock, but nothing appears to out of place and the bike,and the dam thingonly has 4600 miles on it. I looked at the exhaust brakcet, brake caliper, swing arm, fender, you name it, and nothing appears to be out of place. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have noticed that the peg has hit the frame a time or two (minor scuff marks), however their is pleanty of clearance. I can replicate the noise if I bounce on the bike, the only problem is my wife is not able to locate to noise, and she does not havethe weight to sit on the bike to replicate it. I'm almost to the point to start rippingdown the rear end and re-build it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I hate it when my rear end makes noise . . . so does my wife, which is why I blame it on the dog!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bet it is the belt! My 06 did the same exact thing when I hit a Bump, It would go squeek ..... got worse with a passenger. Your belt is rubbing on the top of the case. Search this site on the mod to fix it and you'll be fine. After I did the mod to remove the excess metal on the cover it has NEVER squeeked again!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I would make some funny comment about my rear end making noise but I don't want to be rude and high-jack your thread. :) I Second the belt rubbing on the bolt boss. Pull that front belt cover and try and it while it's off and see if it's more obvious.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I modified the front belt/ pully cover, actually I fabed an new open style cover, no problem there. Lubed to shock links and still no luck. This afternoon I was on the bike for a few, and I think I have isolated the noise to the rear axle. Has anyone heard of issues with a squeek from the axle area?

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
ZZedmonds said:
I would make some funny comment about my rear end making noise but I don't want to be rude and high-jack your thread. :) I Second the belt rubbing on the bolt boss. Pull that front belt cover and try and it while it's off and see if it's more obvious.
LOL I almost went there too. Can you actually believe i didnt? I even amazed myself .

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

After looking back at the subject line, I should have known better, however at the time I was more worried about the bike. Appreciate the "no comments".

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Clubford00 said:
ZZedmonds said:
LOL I almost went there too. Can you actually believe i didnt? I even amazed myself .
C'mon Dean... Let-er-rip! (Ar,ar-ar.) I couldn't resist!

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
ZZedmonds said:
Clubford00 said:
ZZedmonds said:
C'mon Dean... Let-er-rip! (Ar,ar-ar.) I couldn't resist!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got done re-assembling the rear axle, and went for a test run, and I still have the dam squeak. I lubed all the rear suspension links, checked the exhaust brackets, and started to pull what little hair I have left on my head out. Would a shock going bad make a squeak noise every now and then? I would think a B/O shock would consistently make noise over all bumps,any thoughts???

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Steve, What year is your bike? I may be wrong but I think there was a issue (recall?) on rear axles on 06s?

Maybe I missed it here but have you tried the bar of soap on the edges of the drive belt?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I may have found the problem. The lowering link bolt on the shock was really tight. I loosened up th bolt a little and shot some WD into the area, and WOLA no noise last night. Also just for insurance I sprayed the link mount on the frame side of the bike also.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just heard of a problem with chrome rear pulleys..... the ones that are hollowed out in the back are prone to failure.... and shortly before they go they squeek.... but only under load..... your problem sounds like a suspension issue and it sounds like you got er figured out.... but be aware!!!! Exploding sprockets and shrapnel at 70mph does not sound fun!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.