VOG Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PCV and Lloyds timing wheel have been 100% since being installed by The Vic Shop in the Summer of 2013. I'm now considering the Maximus option. I'll have to remove the PCV, reinstall the oem timing wheel and also go back to using the O2 sensors. Removing the PCV seems straight forward as does reinstalling the oem timing wheel.

But, what real world difference / improvement would Maximus offer that I don't enjoy now? It's a lot of money to spend and I'd want to ensure it makes sense to do so. Sure, a PCV can fail. So can anything else.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
hmmmmm.....I don't know Mark.....
.....if it ain't broke , why fix it ?

I'm not sure you see / feel any real difference.

Just my opinion..... ;)

Peter

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
I also don’t think you get much. If starting from scratch I’d go Maximus, my understanding is the tuner has more flexibility writing your new tune, but a well tuned bike is a well tuned bike. If it were me I’d call Rylan and ask what I could reasonably expect.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
As iabob says A well tuned bike is a well tuned bike.
I've got one of each.
My first Vic, the Vegas, was PCV and timing wheel, big bore , cams, pretty much the works plus timing wheel.
The crunch on it was the guy running the Dyno!
First place, who also fitted PCV, gave me "top-up" tunes for $50, at the times I made changes with more mods.
A great deal you say?
Well ...but for the fact HC was telling me it should be putting out more.
A fellow Vic rider and racer here directed me to Fred at Procycle which was a great move.
He pulled another 11 horses and similar torque outta the hat!!!!!
As well as dropping my 1/4 mile times for proof on the black Dyno!

Next my XC....VM1, LLOYDZ filter, gutted pipes and MAXIMUS, this time.
As I was starting from scratch and by then Maximus was available, and
Fred at ProCycle had been using it on Harleys successfully.
So naturally I went down that road.
He hadn't used it on a Vic before and asked me if I could leave the XC with him so he could have a good play with it....I said "yes" as I had two bikes.
Maximus also removes the speed limiter, the only real difference that I can see...
Though it'd be a brave man who takes a bike with a handlebar mounted fairing over 120mph for any extended amount of time.

The Kingpin being '06 has the PCIII and it's been Dyno tuned to absolute perfection already when @Half_Crazy owned it.
Runs like a freight train and it's a very rare occasion if I can get an exhaust crackle out of it.
It has been suggested I take it to Fred and see what he can get out of it.
But hey it's running fine so why mess with it.

If it's not broke don't fix it.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other!

In my not so humble opinion it comes down to the person doing the "tuning"
Are they a Dyno "operator" or a tuner.

I've had the same experience with a couple of muscle cars.
But that's another story.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
In the past you not only needed the PCV with it's rev limit expanded, timing wheel, but also mailing the ECU to LLoydz to remove the top speed limit and to increase the factory rev limiter so it doesn't conflict with the expanded one on the PCV.
I believe the Maximus will do all of that by itself, but the tune is very different so just like the PCV you need someone who is an expert at Victory and the tune format you are choosing.
I'm considering the same thing just so I don't have the piggyback computer under the side cover, but I think I'd rather keep the Lloydz timing wheel as it's working perfectly fine and the Maximus tune can work around any timing set on it.
On a long trip and with the timing wheel still on it...if I ever started getting pinging I could always drop a couple degrees on it and keep going.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
My PCV and Lloyds timing wheel have been 100% since being installed by The Vic Shop in the Summer of 2013. I'm now considering the Maximus option. I'll have to remove the PCV, reinstall the oem timing wheel and also go back to using the O2 sensors. Removing the PCV seems straight forward as does reinstalling the oem timing wheel.

But, what real world difference / improvement would Maximus offer that I don't enjoy now? It's a lot of money to spend and I'd want to ensure it makes sense to do so. Sure, a PCV can fail. So can anything else.
Aren't you moving fast enough, now?!?

I believe the Apostle Paul, when referencing his Victory motorcycle said he had "learned to be content" ---- am I reading that wrong?!?

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
Rylan addressed this in a video years ago.

Your bike was tuned by one of the best with a proven combination of parts, leave it be.

I think the only exception would be if you had a Vision that only allowed 2° on the timing wheel. Then having the ability to separately change the timing below 2500 would be beneficial.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Sounds like you want the peace of mind not worrying about a potential problem. Don't think your butt dyno would notice. Not broke, don't fix it. More money for ammo, fuel and tires.

• Winner
Reactions: Chattanooga_Mark

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The gents that have already posted above (and you as well) represent some of the most knowledgeable people when it comes to this stuff. If it's running fine now with no concerns your gains would be minimal. I'd leave it as is until you have to retune. Like when you add cams.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.