VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all the Vision riders that have experienced the excessive heat on the right calf, especially Bobbyg who went beyond the call of duty by ending up with what looked like 3rd degree burns......I discovered this today:

This mornings 7:00 am ride into work was in 8 deg Celsius temps (about 46 Deg F.) the small 1/4 air deflectors under the fairing were in the closed position and I noticed my jeans were flapping in the wind pretty good, although my knees where in calm air. I was starting to feel the chill, when I decided to open one side to see how much air was being blocked.

To my surprise, my lower legs were less buffeted, less air, they appeared to be in a quiet pocket out of the wind, while the closed side continued to flap my jeans. I then opened the second deflector and now both lower legs were in that same calm zone, but my knees were experiencing more turbulence.

So I am wonder if the solution for our Southern Brothers is to keep the wind deflectors closed in hotter temps to provide more turbulent air around their calfs.

Worth the try some time.

Brrrrrr! hand me a beer........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
814 Posts

You've let the cat out of the bag, our real secret is the 8 deg Celcius. ;-)
Looks like it's going to be a cool ride from Sudbury tomorrow when we leave here. Hope to see you this weekendfor the Niagra ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
807 Posts

Okay, I'll try it. Today and this weekend is forecast for near 100 degrees, and I'm considering a California run to the edge of Death Valley.
You can have your Canadian weather, guys- my bike is never parked for more than a day throughout the year...;-)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,850 Posts
Dimonback said:
Okay, I'll try it. Today and this weekend is forecast for near 100 degrees, and I'm considering a California run to the edge of Death Valley.
Let us know if it works. Candubrain is a sharp guy...let's see if your On The Road Test provides the same results. If so, you have to admit that it would ironic that the solution on the engine heat issue was already installed on the bike!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nepper said:
You've let the cat out of the bag, our real secret is the 8 deg Celcius. ;-)
Looks like it's going to be a cool ride from Sudbury tomorrow when we leave here. Hope to see you this weekendfor the Niagra ride.
Sorry Nepper, I have my annual Autism Charity Ride the same day, I was a little bummed over which one to do. This one is tradition, so I have to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,141 Posts
Candubrain said:
Nepper said:
You've let the cat out of the bag, our real secret is the 8 deg Celcius. ;-)
Looks like it's going to be a cool ride from Sudbury tomorrow when we leave here. Hope to see you this weekendfor the Niagra ride.
Sorry Nepper, I have my annual Autism Charity Ride the same day, I was a little bummed over which one to do. This one is tradition, so I have to go.
Brian, you will be missed, but not forgotten. LOL
Have a safe ride, Bob came down last night for coffee, we will be in touch.
Alan/OT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Alan, it looks like sunny but cool weather for all. Don't forget to post the pics, sounds like it going to be a fabulous turn out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
807 Posts
150 miles, 105 degrees... the answer is - no. It may be justwhere I place my legs, but full closed on the uppers actually doesn't help the heat, besides playing hell with your mileage. Best compromise seems to be about 15-25 degrees off parallel. There's still enough laminar flow to remove some of the heat, and I ran about 46 MPG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dimonback said:
150 miles, 105 degrees... the answer is - no. It may be justwhere I place my legs, but full closed on the uppers actually doesn't help the heat, besides playing hell with your mileage. Best compromise seems to be about 15-25 degrees off parallel. There's still enough laminar flow to remove some of the heat, and I ran about 46 MPG.
I'm wondering if it's my long legs, being further forward than most.
Nothing ventured......nothing gained.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
807 Posts
I have a 35" inseam... I'm thinking it gets me clear of the worst of it, when I set my heels on the tipovers. Not to say I haven't been burnt, but only when it's over 110.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mikeroark said:
Based on my knowledge, I offer the following:

The 'winglets' have a huge range of positions. Long before I added the lowers, I had played with the winglets and discovered, with them about a 30 degree position from full open created a lot of turbulence to get the heat out. This changes based on the position of the windshield. I think Victory kept the Vision in the wind tunnel for a very long time. If you play with the winglets and the windshield you can really change the comfort level of heat on the legs. The lowers add a new wrinkle to the mix and even with the lowers full back, you still need to adjust the winglets and windshield based on speed. It takes time but, worth the effort.

It really works and I know people in Las Vegas who survive fine in the heat without the lowers after I showed them what I discovered.
Interesting what you say about the height of the windshield making a difference. I have the +2" windshield perhaps that is why I saw a difference with the windlets in the open v/s closed posiiton
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,850 Posts
twoworms said:
Could someone post a pic of the winglet's? I have a 2008 Vision and can's find them...

Tim
They are the triangular clear plastic hinged pieces located below the front turn signals/Mirrors on the Vision:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts

I have tried many different positions of the winglets and can't seem to get anything done with the right side heat on my leg. This is really my only and biggest complaint about the VV. When it is 100 degrees here in Texas my bike is almost not ridable in stop in go traffic or in the city.
Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
870 Posts

Harley re-routed the exhaust and I think you can shut down the rear cylinder on late model electra-glides during idle to combat heat problems. Don't know how successful these solutions have been.
I have not heard of how passenger comfort is affected by heat problems, but I do recall harleys were cooking passengers. How about the vision passengers?
I plan to purchase within the next 4 months. 2010 with ABS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
aussiejack said:
Harley re-routed the exhaust and I think you can shut down the rear cylinder on late model electra-glides during idle to combat heat problems. Don't know how successful these solutions have been.
I have not heard of how passenger comfort is affected by heat problems, but I do recall harleys were cooking passengers. How about the vision passengers?
I plan to purchase within the next 4 months. 2010 with ABS
My wife had no problem this summer, and neither did I, but we are both over 6 ft tall, so this probably places our legs differently from others.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top