VOG Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Im new to the forum and hoping someone here may be able to help me.

I have a 2008 Victory kingpin and my check engine light came on today.

The symptoms are
-- parked last night after riding about 100 miles with no problems and everything normal. Started the bike this morning normally , let it come up to temp and left for our planned full day of riding. After riding about ten minutes at 30-40 mph the check engine light came on. The bike was running completely normally with no signs of any issues.
Pulled over , checked the connections at the battery and visually inspected all connections I could see. Everything looked normal.

Started the bike and it started right up and the light was off. Rode another ten to fifteen miles and the light came back on. Pulled over again and did some internet searches. Came across a lot of people saying that when your battery is on its way out it can cause the cel. After reading that I realized that my battery was at least 6 or 7 years old. Since there was an auto parts store close by and it was so old I figured I would go ahead and replace it.
Replaced the battery and started riding again. No check engine light for the first twenty or thirty minutes and then it came back on.

At this point I was getting worried that I would do some damage to the bike even though it was riding normally with no evidence of any problem except for the check engine light. Rode home at 25-30 taking it as easy as possible, light went off and stayed off till home.

Got home and did more searches. Read about testing voltage, voltmeter says voltage is too high -- 16-16.6 volts when throttle is open a little -- prob about 2000-2500 rpm.

Im ordering a new regulator but after reading a bunch of threads I am getting worried about keeping my kingpin.

Has anyone found any tool or software with adapter than can be used by a home mechanic in place of the Digital Wrench that doesnt cost a thousand dollars ?
I think Polaris should have to release the software and unlock whatever they need to unlock to allow us to service our own bikes now that they have shut down victory.

How can we own bikes that we cannot even read the codes for ?

I know some of you have extensive knowledge of motorcycles and can probably diagnose everything on the bike without it but for the rest of us it feels like we are stuck just waiting for something to happen and then be left guessing with no way to resolve the problem besides possibly renting a trailer and bringing the bike to an Indian dealer , and once Indian shuts down we will be even more SOL.

Im surprised that no one has found a way to hack something to replace the Digital Wrench.

IF anyone has any info please let me know.

Sorry my first post is so long, looking forward to exploring the rest of this forum, it seems to be fairly active and Ive already read a whole bunch of great topics. -- Thank you

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also wondering if anyone has compiled a list of parts that we should stockpile in anticipation of not being able to get them easily in the future.

My KP has about 30k on it and I had planned to keep it till I cant ride anymore. I guess I should buy a belt , another regulator, maybe a stator ?

·
Registered
960 Posts
In regards to the Digital Wrench, the Dynojet PV CX is probably the cheapest Vic compatible code reader/canceller as well as being a tool you can use to tune your engine. It costs about 340 bucks US online. The caveat is it only works from a certain yr up. I think its 2008. Someone else can chirp in or go to the dynojet or fuelmoto website.

As long as Polaris is able to service our bikes they will keep their greedy hands on the tool and software. I agree with you, but its their business:) Sad!

Ps- there is a guy on ebay who sells homemade adaptors to work with regular code readers for only 39 bucks BUT fine print says they work with Polaris stuff not Victory

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hello all, Im new to the forum and hoping someone here may be able to help me.

I have a 2008 Victory kingpin and my check engine light came on today.

The symptoms are
-- parked last night after riding about 100 miles with no problems and everything normal. Started the bike this morning normally , let it come up to temp and left for our planned full day of riding. After riding about ten minutes at 30-40 mph the check engine light came on. The bike was running completely normally with no signs of any issues.
Pulled over , checked the connections at the battery and visually inspected all connections I could see. Everything looked normal.

Started the bike and it started right up and the light was off. Rode another ten to fifteen miles and the light came back on. Pulled over again and did some internet searches. Came across a lot of people saying that when your battery is on its way out it can cause the cel. After reading that I realized that my battery was at least 6 or 7 years old. Since there was an auto parts store close by and it was so old I figured I would go ahead and replace it.
Replaced the battery and started riding again. No check engine light for the first twenty or thirty minutes and then it came back on.

At this point I was getting worried that I would do some damage to the bike even though it was riding normally with no evidence of any problem except for the check engine light. Rode home at 25-30 taking it as easy as possible, light went off and stayed off till home.

Got home and did more searches. Read about testing voltage, voltmeter says voltage is too high -- 16-16.6 volts when throttle is open a little -- prob about 2000-2500 rpm.

Im ordering a new regulator but after reading a bunch of threads I am getting worried about keeping my kingpin.

Has anyone found any tool or software with adapter than can be used by a home mechanic in place of the Digital Wrench that doesnt cost a thousand dollars ?
I think Polaris should have to release the software and unlock whatever they need to unlock to allow us to service our own bikes now that they have shut down victory.

How can we own bikes that we cannot even read the codes for ?

I know some of you have extensive knowledge of motorcycles and can probably diagnose everything on the bike without it but for the rest of us it feels like we are stuck just waiting for something to happen and then be left guessing with no way to resolve the problem besides possibly renting a trailer and bringing the bike to an Indian dealer , and once Indian shuts down we will be even more SOL.

Im surprised that no one has found a way to hack something to replace the Digital Wrench.

IF anyone has any info please let me know.

Sorry my first post is so long, looking forward to exploring the rest of this forum, it seems to be fairly active and Ive already read a whole bunch of great topics. -- Thank you
If you checked electrical and the bike seems to ride fine, a likely culprit is emissions related such as an O2 sensor going bad. I would not purchase PVCX or Maximus (these are ECU flash devices) that are capable of reading trouble codes. These devices are hacked units so even though I own a PVCX I have no idea what DTCs they are capable of reading. It might be a tiny subset of Digital Wrench or close to its entirety. The adapter Tenax66 alluded to is just an interface to an OBD reader. It was my understanding that it can display some Vic DTCs but many/most may remain hidden. If I were you, I'd take the bike to a Polaris dealer that services Vics and have them read the code. They may charge you an hour/half hour of labor but you'll know what the code says and take it from there. Vics are amazing bikes and I wouldn't ditch them for an intermittent CEL issue.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im not planning on ditching the bike but it is obvious that getting parts is going to be a problem.

-- What should I buy now to stockpile for when I need it ?
I ride about 10-12k per year and was hoping to keep the KP for many years. I just replaced the regulator and ordered a fuel filter which ill replace in the next few weeks.

Anything else I should buy now while it is still available ?

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Maybe a throttle body adapter? Those do tend to wear down around 10 years or so, depending on location and whatnot. It's just a shaped piece of rubber that sits below the throttle body, but they can develop weather cracking and wear where the clamps are over time.
I would say with the battery being replaced and a new voltage regulator/rectifier you should be good electrically. I wouldn't worry about a stator.. I can't even call to mind one needing to be replaced on an 08.. the old V92 guys from 99 to 2001 used to replace them because they were part of an upgrade kit from 28amps to 38amps.. but even that I think was excessive. Vic has a history of sub-par voltage regulators and now that you've got that you should be good.
Only other thing that I can think of after you have the fuel filters is maybe a replacement belt? I've yet to have to change one on any of my vics, but if you're looking at long term parts stuff that might be hard to find that might be something to consider.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. My throttle body price was replaced already, . The Rubber separated when installing the torque tubes, I had just gotten the bike so rather than try to glue it back on I just replaced the peice. I installed the regulator yesterday and that seems to have fixed the problem. I also went ahead and ordered a new belt. The manual says I'm duedto replace it at 30k but it looks fine so I'll probably leave it another few thousand miles before replacing it. Now I just have to try to find some better pipes for it .I currently have the swept pipes and want something better, it really like the Ness signature pipes but they are impossible to find and I don't like any if the shorter copies. I was considering the Thor or big slash but don't want to put 850 into them right now. Hoping to find a used set of the Ness signatures on eBay some day. Still also wondering about an alternative to the digital wrench.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. My throttle body price was replaced already, . The Rubber separated when installing the torque tubes, I had just gotten the bike so rather than try to glue it back on I just replaced the peice. I installed the regulator yesterday and that seems to have fixed the problem. I also went ahead and ordered a new belt. The manual says I'm duedto replace it at 30k but it looks fine so I'll probably leave it another few thousand miles before replacing it. Now I just have to try to find some better pipes for it .I currently have the swept pipes and want something better, it really like the Ness signature pipes but they are impossible to find and I don't like any if the shorter copies. I was considering the Thor or big slash but don't want to put 850 into them right now. Hoping to find a used set of the Ness signatures on eBay some day. Still also wondering about an alternative to the digital wrench.
Good news on the belt for you...the manual is full of crap and its Polaris' excuse to get more money out of us sooner than necessary. Lots of pple here can tell you yes, check it, make sure if tire is changed its not too tight, watch for gravel, but you can go twice as long easily than 30,000 miles. In the Vic owners manual I believe it shows the circumstances under which you'd need a new belt. Don't just change it "because".

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im surprised that with all of the knowledgeable folks here noone has found a way to get and use the digital wrench without spending lots and lots of $$.

It just seems wrong that the company can go out of business and not make the software and access codes... available to all victory owners so we can maintain our bikes properly going forward.
Seems like it should be a lawsuit or something.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Im surprised that with all of the knowledgeable folks here noone has found a way to get and use the digital wrench without spending lots and lots of $$.

It just seems wrong that the company can go out of business and not make the software and access codes... available to all victory owners so we can maintain our bikes properly going forward.
Seems like it should be a lawsuit or something.
Go for it!;)

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
That's Polanus for you. They figure if they hold the tools and starve us for parts we will give in and buy an Indian. They are sadly mistaken. Sadly, I don't think we will ever see an alternative to the Digital Wrench program. BTW, R/Rs can do funny things when they decide to blow. That was a good catch!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, it felt good to get it right.

As far as polaris is concerned they seem to have some of the worst management around.
They created some of the best motorcycles available. From both an engineering perspective as well as looks they were imo waaay ahead of the crowd.
There are some other bikes that look great too and a few others with current technology like our victories but I am not aware of many/any that have both.
All articles and polls I have ever seen in any magazine or forum have one thing in common -- Extremely high customer satisfaction.
Even consumer reports has articles that state that Victory owner satisfaction is the highest in the industry.

So -- with some of the best built bikes that are also gorgeous and perform better than the competition, owners that love them and those facts being recognized even by non motorcycle people, they still could not stay in business. My personal opinion is that they did a terrible job with advertising and promoting these bikes. They never tried to build a "family" the way HD does. I am not aware of many dealer hosted bbq's or Sunday afternoon get togethers the way HD has. There are many things they could have done differently.....

And now that they have shut them down Polaris is even managing to alienate those loyal Victory owners , many of whom would most probably have seriously considered Indians for their next purchases. What would it cost them to do a few things differently -- release the software and tools for sale at a reasonable price, make sure you have ample supply of consumable Victory parts available at the indian dealers so we can find and buy fuel filters, belts and other things that wear out . Instead of just saying you will have parts available for 10 years, actually try to support those Victory owners and show them that you still want them to consider themselves fully supported by Polaris.
Instead many of us will wind up totally soured on Polaris and will avoid them like the plague for any future purchases, not to mention all of the smarter perspective Indian buyers who see what they did to the Victory owners and will realize that is what in store for them if Indian doesnt make it , only it will be worse since there would be no dealers left under Polaris at all.

Sorry for the long winded post -- I didnt realize how much this stuff bothered me until I started typing , its just such a shame . Every time I ride my bike I cant believe that this motorcycle was discontinued , knowing the many other inferior bikes still being produced.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.