Rattle sound | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Rattle sound

Discussion in 'Victory Vision' started by PC2008Vision, Jul 4, 2020.

1. PC2008Vision

PC2008Vision Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Victory vision
    I have notice when in lower gears and or 6th gear. If i lug it a little it it seems to make what i call a rattling noise. Could this possibly be the clutch out of adjustment or the clutch going out? There is 70,000 miles on my bike. I have only put about 5 or6 hundred on it. I also know the previous owner pulled a trailer. Thanks.

2. Poseidon

Poseidon Well-Known Member

2016 Victory Magnum 2013 Suzuki M109R.... 2017 Kawasaki Concours
    Don’t lug the motor. It doesn’t like it. Keep RPMs over 2500.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. PC2008Vision

PC2008Vision Member

Victory vision
    So if i keep the r's in that range it should quit making that noise? Thanks i will try that.

4. DAVEofSAC

DAVEofSAC Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    My '14, VV, doesn't so much rattle as chatter up the motivation chain. Ya can feel it in the clutch lever, ya can feel it in the seat 'o yer pants, the whole bike just kinda lugs as ya ride at low speed ('specially in low gear).

My mistake is I'm ridin' the unit like it's new. She turns 6 years old on the 4th (I call 'er born on the 4th o' July) 'n the chatter started 'bout 1/2 way through my 2nd clutch. Poseidon's right! If ya rev 'er up there's no chatter. But, I'm used to sashayin' 'round the lot at 1800 rpm not a roarin' 2500!

I changed the oil (brand) from Vic to Golden Spectro-4 'n the problem didn't go away. When the clutch started slippin' I replaced the clutch but the chatterin' didn't go away. Changed the diaphragm clutch spring (this improved control some what) but, the problem didn't go away. So now, to keep 'er quite I just UP the rev's--it works.

'appy 4th ya'll!

5. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    completely agree with this. These are higher revving OHC engines, they are not Harleys. Don’t lug it.

I shift above 2500 and usually cruise (any gear) around 3000. My girl really likes 3000 rpm. Buttery smooth and purrs right along.

if I want more, I just twist the grip and run it up over 5000 (the Lloydz 501 cams are fun like that!)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Smokier104

Smokier104 Active Member

'14 Cross County Tour
    Agree with the "no lugging the engine".

I shift around 3200/3300 RPM and try to live in the 2700~2900 range. As stated, any less than 2500 or 2600 she isn't happy or smooth.

Ride safe,
    Smokier

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DBbear127

DBbear127 Active Member

2009 Victory Vision Tour Premium
    If you’re under 70mph you shouldn’t be in 6th gear... don’t lug her, nothing good will come from it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. PC2008Vision

PC2008Vision Member

Victory vision
    I was not aware of that . This is my first victory. Thanks

9. DBbear127

DBbear127 Active Member

2009 Victory Vision Tour Premium
    No worries.... keep her above 2500rpm, check you tire pressures(I run 40/42), check your rear brakes before a ride(they’re known to leak down if sitting for long periods but a simple bleed fixes it), and if you have the standard list from VVB follow it as he patrols here!

• Like Like x 1
  10. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    I'm not sure I've given them.

Unsolicited, and probably unwanted, but hey 1. Lower deflectors, good for cold, great for heat, let them sit for 12 hours before use & trust the 3M tape. Good Luck on the wait. Look around on eBay but this has become a unicorn part to find.

2. Don't trust your kickstand, check it twice. No switch or positive down position, but it is designed to retract if you touch it down while in motion.

3. Trust your tip over (TO) points, IF YOU HAVE THEM, use them, instead of a foot or ankle to catch a falling Vision. GET your feet up quick when you move from a stop, TOs run on ankle blood.

4. Place a foot on your floorboard and jiggle the bike while gassing up, and take your time. It takes a bit to fill both tanks.

5. Replace your horn or get loud pipes, this thing is fast and nimble, but cagers attack it for no reason. Jealous or hypnotized, who knows, but they steer right toward you.

6. Don't ever take off the trunk unless you are OK storing it forever. Rides almost like a different bike without it.

7. Stay off your front brakes below 5 mph, and pay attention in parking lots. The fuel tanks are forward and low: great for the twisties, but takes some getting used to.

8. If you remove the trunk or drop test the TOs you are honor bound to tell us. It makes those of us who have tested them more than once feel better....so I hear.

9. If you take any of the above advice and it turns out badly, blame yourself, I am not to be trusted.

10. Make sure you lube any mechanical control points routinely, but do not oil cables, it tears up the interior Teflon.

11. Once you have leaned that thing as far as you think is safe in a sweeper, keep going if you haven't heard the floorboards scrape. It's lean angle is just ridiculous for a 900+ lb bike.

12. Practice using our Forum Search feature. It works wells, saves tons of repetition, and avoids snarky-smart-alec answers like I sometimes offer.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. PC2008Vision

PC2008Vision Member

Victory vision
    I have used my T.O.
    I was moveing my bike around in the garsge and put my stand down but i had pushed it forward a bit ,went to set it down and the stsnd folded up. This is when you get to find out exactly how much your bike weights.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1