Random Check Engine Light | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Random Check Engine Light

Discussion in 'Victory Vegas' started by mbscvictoryvegas, Nov 8, 2021.

1. mbscvictoryvegas

mbscvictoryvegas New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2005 Victory Vegas
    2005 Vegas 26k miles. I get a random check engine light every few rides, sometimes consecutive rides. I have noticed it happens most often when it's either warm outside, I'm idling at a stop light for awhile, or using a lot of friction zone while practicing my slow speed maneuvering (i.e. situations where the bike warms up a bit). I also notice it's coming and when it's on because the bike seems to idle a bit higher than normal, and the shifts feel horrible. Some shifts are very ambiguous or the lever doesn't even move gears, and some shifts take the slightest touch and feel like a very pronounced snap. Once I had to kick down 4 times to get the bike to actually shift down into 2nd, and never had an issue the rest of the day and rode for 4 hours. Any ideas? It's so bizarre that it only happens sometimes, but I definitely see it more often when it's warm outside. Otherwise, the bike starts, idles, and runs beautifully.

Oil is fresh and full, throttle is within owners manual spec for free play, high idle lever seems to be within the spec of the manual as well.

2. normthenomad

normthenomad Well-Known Member

2012 Crossroads LE, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    How many miles are on the bike? Have you cleaned the throttle body and checked all the rubber bits on it? Battery and charging system connections tight and functioning? What oil are you using ? sounds like it might be thinning out at operating temp.

3. mbscvictoryvegas

mbscvictoryvegas New Member

2005 Victory Vegas
    26k miles. Just serviced about 1k miles ago at the dealer. Throttle body adapter and 2 o rings were replaced, throttle body was cleaned. Battery seems to be fine, I'll be tearing it apart again this week so I can check them again. Oil is Victory 20W40 Semi-Synthetic changed at the dealer at the same time as the throttle body adapter was. This dealer messed up my rear brake pretty badly when I last went to them, left tension in the cable, no free play on the pedal and air in the line and I had to retroactively fix all of it because the rear wheel was locking up, so I wouldn't be surprised if they made another mistake during the same service.

4. normthenomad

normthenomad Well-Known Member

2012 Crossroads LE, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    With that few miles and the maintenance you've had done I'm surprised at the issues.
    Okay this one is reaching a bit but you may want to check the fuel pressure I've picked up a couple where the lining in the tank has given up. Both were low miles and that may have been a contributing factor. Picked up an abandoned '13 Judge, tried to fire it and it had similar problems to yours only a lot more pronounced. That's all I can think of at the moment.
    I'm sure one or more will chime in soon.
    Sounds like your dealer is one you should avoid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HomeyClown

HomeyClown New Member

2008 vegas jackpot
    may ask mr computer whats up. blink.JPG blink1.JPG

• Like Like x 1