RAM Mount X-Grip | Page 2 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

RAM Mount X-Grip

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Schmitty1226, May 30, 2017.

1. CruzR

CruzR theVOG.net Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2005 V92 Touring Cruiser Anniversary Edition, & 2008 Vision Tour Premium "Cherry Bomb"
    I have the Tough-Claw Ram mount for my Vision bars, with the Universal X-Grip phone cradle. The cradle came with a rubber retainer, so there is no losing the phone. I play tunes from my phone via a Bluetooth interface going in to my Aux audio input. The bike came with a GPS from the factory.

My cup holder is of another brand. It took a little bit of mod to get it to work with the Vision's large diameter flat handle bars. I took it off my '05 V92 TC, which I still have. Otherwise, I would have bought another Tough-CLAW mount.

2. navycraig

navycraig Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Crossroads LE #258
    Give a new meaning to the term cockpit. That's a lot of gear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Trvlnkid

Trvlnkid Active Member

2013 Judge 2016 Magnum
    Pretty nice setup there. I hate to change the subject but what shield mount are those?

4. wspollack

wspollack Well-Known Member

2012 Cross Country Tour
    I'm not @Darth_v8r, but those certainly look like Madstad brackets to me (as I have them, too). See Cross Country

• Like Like x 1
  5. Darth_v8r

Darth_v8r Well-Known Member

2016 CC8BALL, 2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
    Correct sir.

6. Darth_v8r

@Trvlnkid the madstad system is the best accessory that I have purchased.

7. Trvlnkid

Trvlnkid Active Member

2013 Judge 2016 Magnum
    I have been looking at them pretty hard. Just trying to decide on the shield height i want and tint. I have been looking at all kinds of accessories right now. There was another phone mount system i looked at but this ram system seems to be able to mount anything.

8. wspollack

wspollack Well-Known Member

2012 Cross Country Tour
    If you folks are looking for what I think is the best mount, coincidentally I have a webBikeWorld.com article in the pipeline. That is, the article and photos have been submitted, and the wBW editor is working it into the schedule for that site. My guess is that it will be published sometime next week.

The article is about three different phone mounts: the X-Grip, and another (better) one, and a third (best one). And then I have a discussion of and tutorial on relevant RAM add-ons.

I'm not going to repeat the 4,000 words of that article here, but I'll give you a sneak peak: my pick is the Perfect Squeeze from Hondo Garage: Perfect Squeeze Phone Mount

And unlike some conversations around the house, I'm not just talking out of my ass:

1) I had used the X-Grip for c. two years, and I was dissatisfied with it (and so bought those two other mounts).
    2) Motorcycle Consumer News recently reviewed the Perfect Squeeze, and gave it high praise, too.

So if you can spare $79 (at least the shipping is free), plus another $8.99 at Hondo Garage for the RAM piece (or buy it at Amazon for less, with free shipping for Prime members: Amazon.com: RAM Mounts RAM-B-238 RAM 2.43" x 1.31" Diamond Base with 1" Ball: Cell Phones & Accessories ), then my position is that this is the way to go.

9. Drparkwood

Drparkwood Active Member

2016 Vision
    I actually installed M10X1.25 on both sides. On the right I have a 4 inch ram mount with a modified insulated cup holder, and on the left side I have the XGrip which included the rubber strap. I have the double socket swivel arm. I like the swivel arm so I can adjust the angle and push the phone a bit farther away (old eyes, helps with focus).

Never had an issue with the iPhone moving at all (rubberized Otterbox thin case).

I have a second cup holder which is the swivel ram mount cup holder that keeps the drink level. I use that for the coffe mug. I have a 2 inch ram mount for this.

The 4 inch mount double duties for my Go-Pro.

I am happy with the flexibility and ease of changing the accessories or removing them all together for various rides.

10. AcesVictory

AcesVictory Member

2011 Cross Country
    If only for your phone Rokform is the best mount for any bike and you can add magnets to other vehicles. Most of the people I ride with have seen mine and switched to the Rokform mount.

11. HenryT

HenryT Active Member

2015 Harley Davidson Breakout
    You all should do yourselves a favor and check out the Techgripper. Much simpler and not huge like these things I'm seeing in the pics posted. Best unit out there bar none. There's a point when too much is ...too much and I'm seeing that line being crossed repeatedly in this thread.

12. Darth_v8r

That's your line. Stop at it if you want. My line is much further and fluid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. 2edgesword

2edgesword Well-Known Member

2015 Harley Street Bob
    I have one clamp to the my handlebars. Rock solid and nothing every came close to being tossed while riding. And that's on a Harley (shake, rattle and roll)!

• Like Like x 1
  14. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    Techgripper Capture+_2017-06-02-23-31-01.png
    It doesn't look to be smaller than a XGrip. I also prefer the four points of contacts of the XGrip. Plus I can put my phone in the XGrip just right so I can press all the buttons while in it.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. HenryT

HenryT Active Member

2015 Harley Davidson Breakout
    Yeah it does not have those arms sticking out all over. The thing is solid rode 100s of miles with phone in there and did not budge. They have a handlebar and other mounts too. I'm sure the x-grip is a fine product also.