VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone here successfully made this transition? After smoking cigarettes for 26+ years, it has been 8-days since I started vaping and am extremely pleased with my progress. The first two days I cut back my cigarette intake (easily a pack a day) by 50% and then simply stopped tobacco...until I went for a 10-12 hour ride yesterday. I smoked 18 of 20 cigs in that pack (in about 10 hours) and won't be buying another.

There are a lot of younger folks where I work that vape. They pushed me to try vaping and I'm glad they did! I bought a starter rig with a weeks worth of juice and 4 replacement coils for under $60 shipped. (elementvape.com - SMOK stick prince starter kit)

The problem I have while out riding is the fact that tank style vaporizers are not conducive to summer time outdoor activities/travel. The e-juice gets hot, thins out, then leaks out of the tank when stored in a hot location. With air temps well over 80 degrees, there's no point in even bringing my rig with me.

I think I am going to augment my e-juice rig with a JUUL and only use that while riding. My fear with the JUUL is the nicotine level is going to be MUCH higher than the e-juice I'm vaping AND they do not make a nicotine free "pod" for the JUUL. Currently I'm vaping 6mg of nicotine in my e-juice and look forward to dropping to 3mg in 6 months. Then 6 months from there down to 0mg of nicotine. If I vape with 0 nicotine for years beyond that...so be it and good riddance to the insanely stinky coffin nails!

I'm curious, has anyone else made the transition from tobacco to vapor? If so, what do you use while out riding?

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
They didn't have vaping when I quit smoking in 2001 so I used chewing tobacco. Not a lot; just enough to ward off that craving for a smoke. It still took a little effort because I had to get rid of the non-addictive habit of feeling the smoke burn my lungs and make sure I had an extra pack and plenty of lighter fluid in my Bic before leaving the house. Believe it or not; getting rid of that routine/habit was half my battle in quitting. I chewed for about a year changing the little pinch of chew a few times a day. Most people didn't even know I was chewing unless I put it in in front of them or they saw me get rid of the used up stuff.

I know lots of people who quit smoking tobacco years ago now and switched to vaping. They are still vaping. They just swapped one addiction/habit for another with no end in sight.

I'm always skeptical when it comes to tobacco studies, and now vaping studies, but I guess there may be a grain of truth to some of them. You can bet vaping is being studied like crazy right now. One recent study says it messes with a person's DNA. Nothing conclusive though so the jury is still out.

May I ask if your end goal is to quit the vaping too or are you simply trying to lessen the impact of the nicotine you take in? Vaping should help your breathing somewhat I would think. Switching to chew really helped my breathing. It was hard to quit the chew too because it kept the nicotine level in my bloodstream at a relatively constant high whereas smoking was like waves on a beach. The wave hitting was like me finishing a smoke. That lull between waves was the level of nicotine going way down until I lit up again. I was really hooked. Two packs a day; sometimes a little more if I hit the bar after work. Then I was chain smoking.

I wish you well in whatever good you can manage for yourself. It ain't easy but rarely are those things we do that matter very easy. Usually worth doing though - if you don't mind me waxing poetic.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Congrats on your quit and sharing your method. I agree that long term vaping is trading one habit for another and also agree that the science is still out on vaping and its long term effects. It goes without saying there's plenty of science and first hand experiences with the evil of cigs. Everyone 40+ knows or knows of a smoker that has died from lung cancer. Speaking of which, yes my lungs already feel much better. I'm not hacking from dawn 'till dusk and then some.

I'm bad off as well when it comes to cigs. I've smoked in my home since the day I bought it, nearly 20 years ago. You can imagine what it is like coming home to that smell now that I've honestly quit everywhere other than my bike. The end goal: To quit smoking cigs forever and everywhere while never crawling back for another. I stopped smoking in my vehicle 2 years ago and have been attempting to kick the nasty habit since.

After struggling on my own for a couple years, I can't believe how easy it was for me to switch to vaping. Cig trigger, no problem, pick up the vape pen instead of the lighter and pack of smokes. I can still go outside when stuck in a rut at work, I can vape after every meal, I can vape while drinking, I can vape in my house, etc.

You nailed it above. It's all the physical things one does when smoking (or leading up to/after the smoke) that is part of a smokers daily routine. Quitting cigs has not been an easy task for me; I have the past 2 years to prove it. What I'm finding with vaping is you don't have to change your daily routine in any way, making cigs much easier to leave in the past.

Maybe down the road I'll have a different end game in mind, but honestly for now, I just need to get off the damn coffin nails. (I'm guessing you felt the same way and explains why you dipped for a year or so.) My lungs have been talking to me and I don't want to end up like my biological Uncle did - dead from lung cancer in his mid-60's from smoking 2 packs a day.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Can’t speak to vaping, but I am an ex-smoker and just decided one day to go cold turkey. First 30 days were the toughest, but as time went on, the cravings got less and less. All in all, it took a good 6+ months to really get to a place where I felt it was truly behind me and I had gotten over the hump.

What worked for me was to realize that the cravings only lasted about 5-10 mins at a time. So as long as I could stay true for that length of time, the feeling would go away and I’d go about my business.

I’ve been smoke free for about 9 years now and admittedly still like the “smell” of cigarettes. But not enough to pick the nasty habit back up again.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Just remember that science has proven what smoking can do to your health. I, for one, want to be around to ride my Victory as much as possible. :)

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice work on cold turkey. I can go cold turkey provided I never have another drink the rest of my life and if I do there better not be a smoker around. I quit both for 2 months once - on a $100 smoking bet. I had a drink to celebrate my victory (no pun intended) and started smoking again that night. The person that "lost" the bet shook his head and said "you're a lot stupider than I gave you credit for".

I put the vape pen to the test last Friday night and didn't have an issue or craving for a cig even though others were smoking around me. Whiskey, vape, and beer. It doesn't sound right, but it sure does feel right.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I smoked for 22 years. Switched over to vaping 12/1/2011 and haven’t touched a cigarette since. The key for me was finding a non tobacco flavor I liked. I vape all the time while riding. The storage in my hard lowers is perfect spot for storing it when I’m not using it. I use an eleaf istick TC40W and an Aspire Nautilus tank. It will occationally leak a little, but it is just a small amount and it doesn’t happen very often.

Most of those sub ohm cloud makers are going to leak and be difficult to use while riding. Try something like the one I use so you can stick with it. It is a pretty cheap set up. I order my stuff from MyFreedomSmokes.com. Once you find a flavor of juice you like, they sell wholesell. You can get a liter of juice for around $100. Sometimes less when they have their 20% off sale. Pretty much every major holiday and sometimes randomly throughout the year.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
I smoked Camel Lights for 6 months many years ago, and it took 2 years to quit craving them damn things. Going to a bar and getting a beer and playing a game of pool were triggers so I just quit going to bars for the most part.
I know of a guy who was a big wig at Mt Baker Vapor. I believe they were one of the first ones out there. He had discussions with some big politicians, and they even looked into NASCAR.
The stuff works, but keeping the kids away from it is nearly impossible.
The giant clouds that come from cars around here are horrible. I can feel the stuff and even taste it's sticky sweet flavor if I have my windows down or vent on. Honestly, it's worse than being behind a smoker.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I've been on and off the wagon (smoking) for about 30 years. I went 5 years w/out and then started again. Worst part was my wife.. when she wasn't smoking I could do alright, maybe 2 packs a week. When she was... it was more like 5. Anyways, 2 years ago almost my son bought me a Juul for christmas. Neither of us are much prone to emotional crap but he was pretty concerned about my smoking, so I tried it. I can honestly say I haven't smoked a whole cigarette since. I can also honestly say I don't WANT one. I tried one twice over the last 2 years, didn't make it past the first puff on either, just didn't like it.
I can also say I never liked the 'tobacco' flavored pods for my Juul.. the starter pack had 4 or 5 flavors and I started right out on the 'fruit medley' one.. it's a very very low concentration of nicotine and I use about 2 pods a week. I carry it with me everywhere. No smell. I can smell now. Taste is back. You would be surprised how much more you can smell/taste when you aren't smoking. I can hit it practically anywhere, because it's not a wannabee steam engine... in fact if you hold it long enough there's practically no exhalation of steam. I can sit in my office and take puffs relatively unnoticed. For the first time since I got hooked smoking I have no desire for cigarettes.

Hint.. don't wash it. They don't work well if you wash them. :)

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I've been vaping for 7 years. Smoked at least a pack of Marlboro reds every day before that. It was pretty new back then and a guy at work convinced me to go halves on a big starter kit. I first talked to my doctor about it and he said do it and do it yesterday. I've never looked back.

I use a Tobeco Super Tank with .2 ohm coils and a Smok Alien mod. I make my own juice and its pretty thick (70vg 30pg). I really never have a problem with it leaking and it stays in my pocket or in my tail bag.

I think the key is just having a good quality set up. Good Luck and congrats on making the steps to better health.

Reactions: jwfuchs1 and Known1

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Need to quit but have not yet. Vape not sure about it just looked at the site that was posted, seems like a lot of s*** to figure out.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
I'm bad off as well when it comes to cigs. I've smoked in my home since the day I bought it, nearly 20 years ago. You can imagine what it is like coming home to that smell now that I've honestly quit everywhere other than my bike. The end goal: To quit smoking cigs forever and everywhere while never crawling back for another. I stopped smoking in my vehicle 2 years ago and have been attempting to kick the nasty habit since.
I haven't quit smoking but I did quit smoking in the house because I have a kid and won't subject him to second hand smoke. To get the smell out of the house I borrowed an ozone machine for smoke removal from a friend that does fire restoration ( but you can rent them) and replaced my carpet with hardwood floors. I know if I quit and still had that smell in the house it would irritate me.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
So if someone could invent a hookah type vape rig for motorcyclists...it would sell.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Guess I am a little bit addictive as I smoked 3 packs a day for years. Came home one day and my wife handed me a slip to go see a hypnotist to stop smoking. What the heck I will give it a try. 24 years later I am still off the cigs. Who woulda thunk it?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I smoked Camel Lights for 6 months many years ago, and it took 2 years to quit craving them damn things.
I smoked camel / camel lights for about five years or so. (It was the one cigarette no one wanted to bum) I quit in 2005, to this day every time I see the packaging I want one. Don't think that will ever go away, kinda nuts right?

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
I smoked camel / camel lights for about five years or so. (It was the one cigarette no one wanted to bum) I quit in 2005, to this day every time I see the packaging I want one. Don't think that will ever go away, kinda nuts right?
I swear, they must put chocolate in them things! My craving ended after two years so I know better than to go back there. Don't like that monkey!

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So if someone could invent a hookah type vape rig for motorcyclists...it would sell.
It wouldn't be safe to use with the shield down on a full face helmet, but yeah I would buy one right now. I've found old posts online where people rigged up a way to vape while riding. I have high hopes for the JUUL to get me through the rest of this season when it comes to long distance rides.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Need to quit but have not yet. Vape not sure about it just looked at the site that was posted, seems like a lot of s*** to figure out.
Honestly, it is a lot to figure out over at the site I mentioned. I had the intern at work guide me through the site, which is how I landed on this:
SMOK Stick Prince Kit | Vape Pen-Style TFV12 Prince

Choose your color, throw in a pack of M4 coils, and roll the dice on a mango 6mg nicotine juice of the week. With slow as it goes free shipping you'll be vaping in about 5 days. I like the stick style because it's simple, push the button 5 times to turn on or off. Hold the button while taking a drag. One thing I will say about the SMOK TFV12 Prince Sub-Ohm Tank (that comes with the kit mentioned) make sure you tighten everything up really good before you put in juice.

Or just go buy a Juul at nearly any gas station with the pods. I think you're looking at $60 that route as well. The unfortunate things with that device is are long term cost and the fact that there is no way to cut down on your nicotine levels. The upside with a Juul device is, ease of use, no leaking ever, no messing with juice, and no learning curve. I've also heard it "hits" more like a cig.

I'm a bit of a geek and have been on the bleeding edge of technology in the past. I have nothing bad to say about the SMOK stick, but admit there is a learning curve. Also, when you first vape you're going to cough like a mo-fo. Remember your first pack of cigs? - Yeah it will be a lot like that but does completely go away. After a day or two on the vape, if you have a cig, you'll wonder why you didn't try vaping sooner.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
It's a lot to figure out at first. I suggest finding a prominent vape store and let them show you the ropes.

I also recommend making your own juice. It's incredibly easy and very very cheap. Yes you can save a lot of money from just buying the juice from a store or online but you can save a ton by making it yourself.

Reactions: jwfuchs1

·
Registered
691 Posts
Camel Wides here. Smoked them for years. Quit for a while then picked up Djarums. LOVED Djarums (which is why I avoid them like the plague) but couldn't afford them at $10.50/pack back in 2004 so I switch to Marlboro reds. Got up to 3 packs a day before I finally decided I'd had enough. Slapped on a patch and never looked back. That was back in 2010. This September marks 8 years.

My brother used to smoke Menthol's. Did so since he was a teenager. Several years ago they found polyps on his lungs. He switch to vaping to get off cigs but years later is still vaping regularly. I'm like "Dude, You've already got polyps... stoking that fire seems like a bad idea." He just keeps on puffing. "I'm cutting back the Nicotine levels..." Been hearing that for 3 years now.

I'm not knocking the Vape thing. More power to you guys for getting off the cigs. I just think Vaping should be used as a way to quit smoking, much like the Patch. Not as a permanent replacement.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.